1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Excellent work John.  I think the finish looks perfect just how it is now.  I've tried that salt weathering a couple of times, and always end up with salt particles that I just can't get rid of.  Must just need more practice, although I've got the texture templates to do a similar thing.

Keep it up.

Matt

On 5/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, Citadelgrad said:

I read about your concerns over using the decal “10”, but darned if it doesnt look painted on.  Well done!

Thanks Bill!  I was really aiming for the painted on look and wasn't 100% successful but I'm ok with the result.  Using a knife on decals is a bit tricky and sometimes you end up pulling decal material up and off the model instead of cutting through it.  The wash helps cover this but I had to resort to some micro-spray repairs with the airbrush on some areas.  Not gonna say where! B)

On 5/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, airscale said:

man that is a fabulous finish - one day I want to grow up and be able to paint like that :)

Peter

Thank you Peter!  And I wanna be able to manipulate metal materials to create complex parts from scratch! ;)

On 5/8/2021 at 2:30 PM, scvrobeson said:

Excellent work John.  I think the finish looks perfect just how it is now.  I've tried that salt weathering a couple of times, and always end up with salt particles that I just can't get rid of.  Must just need more practice, although I've got the texture templates to do a similar thing.

Keep it up.

Matt

Yeah, the salt fading is kind of a pain to deal with.  Leftover salt is one of the issues.  After removal, I usually let the model sit for a few days to completely dry out so I can catch all of the remnant salt particles.  And I avoid spraying the model with a flat AFTER the salt process as it tends to encourage the salt frosting effect.

On 5/8/2021 at 3:43 PM, JT68 said:

John, this is looking absolutely stunning!

One of the best 190 models  I've ever seen with that scheme and your talent doing it.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Thank you Jeff!  It looks pretty random now but I DID follow a certain series of steps to build up the paint scheme from a possible factory finish to the field-applied camo reflected in the archive photos of Yellow 10.

19 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Awe-inspiring work. Too bad the FHC has been closed down (permanently?) so all my pics are pretty dated at this point. You really captured the essence of the D-13 in Everett, and made her look even more beautiful.

Thank you!  The whole history of this particular D-13 is fascinating and we are so lucky to have her preserved in a museum now, especially reunited with the original wings.

52 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Looks absolutely fantastic!

Alain

Thanks so much Alain!  It's gratifying now to look back at the doubts/questions/concerns I had about this project when I decided to try and create the forward fuselage bumps with plastic sheet and putty instead of relying on the cast resin part.

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_8064.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8105.jpg

IMG_8109.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

We are in the homestretch of this build and I'm starting to add the last external bits and pieces.  Here is a view of the bottom with the wheels attached.  The treaded tire is from Barracuda Studios while the smooth one is from the kit.
IMG-2140.jpg

The canopy masks have been removed.
IMG-2152.jpg

IMG-2153.jpg

The wooden flaps have been "temporarily" attached with small blobs of CA glue.  To ease transport, the flaps can be easily removed.
IMG-2149.jpg

The starboard wing with the wing tip light and pitot tube.
IMG-2156.jpg

The boarding ladder and the small antenna pieces on the bottom have been added. 
IMG-2155.jpg

She's just about done so the next step will be photograph the bottom with the big camera, attach the aerial and take the final photos!

32 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Thanks so much Alain!  It's gratifying now to look back at the doubts/questions/concerns I had about this project when I decided to try and create the forward fuselage bumps with plastic sheet and putty instead of relying on the cast resin part.

This is actually one aspect that stands out on the model and that I was thinking of when commenting: the perfectly done subtle modification to the engine area.

Alain