1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

I went back and checked your Dortenmann bird before saying anything in case you just hadn't gotten to it yet, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned that this isn't a panel line either:

tgsFalM.jpg

It's a pretty awkward panel that wraps up onto the fuselage and down underneath:

61xQhsA.jpg

And here on Yellow 10:

QmlrcQi.jpg

XB9Go1k.jpg

Looking great! I absolutely love following your work!

On 3/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, Citadelgrad said:

Sunday night progress check.   Looking very nice. Not that i expected anything less.  

Thanks Bill! Always appreciate the encouragement!

On 3/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, brewer said:

I went back and checked your Dortenmann bird before saying anything in case you just hadn't gotten to it yet, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned that this isn't a panel line either:

tgsFalM.jpg

It's a pretty awkward panel that wraps up onto the fuselage and down underneath:

61xQhsA.jpg

And here on Yellow 10:

QmlrcQi.jpg

XB9Go1k.jpg

Looking great! I absolutely love following your work!

Thanks so much for this information!  This is a seam that I've never addressed but your photos make it quite clear that it doesn't exist.  My next update will include addressing this area.

Inching forward on the D-13 build.  I had to eradicate the seam at forward wing root, which is something that I've never addressed before.  It's good to incorporate new information into the build... thanks Brewer!  The clear parts have been sprayed RLM 66.
IMG-1883.jpg

IMG-1884.jpg

One too many knocks against the low-hanging desk lamp resulted in a broken antenna mast on the tail, which was replaced with a piece of styrene and resculpted.  I've added a small hole to accommodate the aerial wire later on.  I'd better protect the new mast with some tape because I'm sure it will knock against something again.
IMG-1885.jpg

IMG-1888.jpg

The horizontal tail surfaces have not been glued in place yet.  Fit is good enough for me to add these later, which will make painting easier.
IMG-1892.jpg

IMG-1893.jpg

IMG-1890.jpg

I reckon she's almost ready for some paint!
IMG-1894.jpg

IMG-1895.jpg

Hi John, Another great thread going on here as always!

I like to mention one thing, I believe all FW190 have a panel line on the spine of the fuselage and panel line is offset to starboard side a little bit not on the center line, also fuselage extension (D version) have a panel line on the top and bottom of center line, if you have a copy of Squadron Walk Around FW190 D

Please check page 10 11 41 and 66 you can see it better, 

Maybe you did already, but I could not see it from the photo you posted up there.

Regards,

Matsu

Edited by Shiba

Thanks guys! Always appreciate the input!

18 hours ago, Shiba said:

Hi John, Another great thread going on hear as always!

I like to mention one thing, I believe all FW190 have panel line on the spine of fuselage and panel line is offset to starboard side a little bit not on the center line, also fuselage extension (D version)have panel line on the top and bottom in center line, if you have a copy of Squadron Walk Around FW190 D

please check page 10 11 41 and 66 you can see it better, 

maybe you did already but I could not see it from photo you posted up there.

×https://i.postimg.cc/SQLXbRQG/bf109-JG11.jpg

Regards,

Matsu

Thank you for that observation.  Another edit right under the deadline!  Very easy to do since no paint has been laid down yet.  I based my line on this photo of Yellow 10.

Aero-Detail-02-Focke-Wulf-FW-190-D-26.jp

IMG-1905.jpg

I added a couple of panel lines to the bottom as well...
IMG-1906.jpg

The landing gear covers were painted.  I added some primer marks around the landing gear attachment bolts. Chipping might be too heavy based on what I'm seeing on the reference photos so a re-do might be in order.  The color, if anyone is curious, is AK Real Color RLM 81 Version 1 (RC323).  Which indicates the direction I'll be going when it comes to the camo colors of Yellow 10.
IMG-1903.jpg

On 3/13/2021 at 4:58 PM, Jerry Crandall said:

The gear doors on "Yellow 10" were RLM 75 that did was softly sprayed and did not cover the complete door. RLM is too dark when compared to the darker areas of the original camo. See my photos.

Cheers, Jerry

Point taken and acknowledged.  Thank you Jerry!  I must say at this point that I am most likely going to deviate from the specific color recommendations found in your wonderful book, which I own and treasure.  I also have both volumes of the JaPo 190D books, which I also like very much.  There are differences in opinion in this these two great books and I cannot say that one is right and the other is wrong.  They both seem to have great insights in their analyses and both are worth considering.  The choices that I make on this build are my own and based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge and interpretation of resources that I have access to.  I make no claims that my build represents historical accuracy... it's just a personal interpretation of what Yellow 10 MIGHT have looked like.

My plan, as of now, is to paint the upper wings RLM 74/75 with the 74 wrapping under to the forward wing bottoms.  The base color for the fuselage will 76/81/82, similar to this color profile of 836016, one of the other recorded D-13's...

836016-Profile.jpg

I understand that the above profile is purely speculative since the only photo of 836016 is black and white and only shows the aircraft from the double chevron marking back.  My placement of the 81/82 will be different as I want the lighter 82 around the canopy/windscreen/cowling as I agree with Crandall's assertion that the mottle pattern on the area in front of the windscreen is dark on light rather than light on dark as proposed by JaPo.  After the base camo is established, a random mottle pattern using 82/83 will be placed over all of the upper surfaces.

That's the plan... for now anyway.

Edited by Thunnus
Punctuation only!

Of course it is your choice and you have to decide what pleases you. We are good friends with Japo and share material from time to time. Here is my argument for my color choices. I first saw "Yellow 10"in 1965 when there was some original color along with stenciling and markings still visible as the thin coat of the gray the U.S. had applied after the war had weathered away. As a modeler studying German colors even at that time ,along with a couple of modelling buddies, we  wrote down and photographed what we saw. Through the years and with the different owners I was able to find areas that had color in crevices and places that were protected. I was given some parts that have still have samples of original paint. So the bottom line is Japo, Eduard or whomever never saw "Yellow 10" before it was restored ,they are all guessing at the colors. Since the top camouflage colors were applied in the field it is almost impossible to correctly guess at the true colors. 

Cheers Jerry