1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

2 hours ago, Jerry Crandall said:

You asked me if I am enjoying your build. Are you kidding me? Every phase and every piece is a work of art. This build is unbelievable. You are putting the real "Yellow 10" to shame. Your building and panting skills are in a class by themselves. Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers, Jerry

Absolutely.  Before i stumbled on LSP, i had no idea, i mean NO IDEA that a 1/32 landing gear assembly could ever be called art.  The detail and detail painting is a master class in what can be done. 

15 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

I just need to say, your detail and painting on those gear legs is making me weak in the knees.  I dont know whether to strive for it or chuck my hobby and just watch the masters.  Really, i could stare at those gear legs all day.  Well done!

Thanks Bill! I should've mentioned this but when after I stripped the paint off the landing gear legs, I took some extra time to scribe the delineations so that it would hold a wash better.  I figured that if I was going to re-do it, I should make it better somehow.

4 hours ago, Jerry Crandall said:

You asked me if I am enjoying your build. Are you kidding me? Every phase and every piece is a work of art. This build is unbelievable. You are putting the real "Yellow 10" to shame. Your building and panting skills are in a class by themselves. Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers, Jerry

Thank you so much Jerry!  Your comments really made my day!

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Yeah, what Jerry said X2.  :coolio:

Thanks for the encouragement again, Troy!

2 hours ago, Beaconroot said:

What Jerry said X3! Incredibly wonderful work! Pure magic!

Jim Root

Thanks Jim!  I appreciate the comments!

2 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Absolutely.  Before i stumbled on LSP, i had no idea, i mean NO IDEA that a 1/32 landing gear assembly could ever be called art.  The detail and detail painting is a master class in what can be done. 

I'm always referring to other builds here, marveling at the works of others, taking notes of different techniques and materials and trying to soak up and learn from what I see.  The internet really has opened up the floodgates in terms of available information and allows all of us to get better at this modeling thing.  But make sure you keep your personal vision alive.  There's always room for individual interpretation and execution.

Here are the radiator pieces.  I had a couple of Eduard 190D-9 Exterior details sets, which will largely go unused since most of included items are for wheel wells, which have been superseded by the Aires resin set.  But... there are some actuating arms for the radiator cowling flaps that I was able to use so you can see them in the photo.
IMG-1724.jpg

IMG-1727.jpg

The radiator cowling pieces have been glued into place.  I've also added the little scoop on top of the engine cowling.  The opening of the scoop was "scooped" out using an x-acto blade.
IMG-1729.jpg

IMG-1728.jpg

IMG-1732.jpg

7 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Exquisite work, John.

Cheers,

Damian

Thanks Damian!  Just curious... I stripped the paint from the SOW legs with iso alcohol which took a while.  Is resin affected by lacquer thinner like styrene plastic?

2 hours ago, X15 said:

Amazing build !!!! Really love all your attention on details !!!!

Thanks!  One thing that I seem to have a lot of these days is time.  So paying attention to the details helps fill that time!

2 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Just catching up here. Wow! This is a great reference build, and your agility in addressing new reference info is just a testimony to your modeling skill. Inspiring work!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  The clear photos of the leg of Yellow 10 was compelling enough for me to make that change.  Like I mentioned, I should've checked my references more carefully.

Working on the resin prop by Henri Daehne.  Some of the finest resin out there!
IMG-1738.jpg

The prop hub detail is amazing but unfortunately it will be permanently covered by the spinner at the end.  If it weren't for the cannon barrel, I would've been able to use magnets and make the prop spinner removable, which I've done on a D-9 build.
IMG-1737.jpg

IMG-1736.jpg

A few poses of the HD prop in place.
IMG-1733.jpg

IMG-1734.jpg

IMG-1735.jpg

The prop spiral was painted using a custom mask traced from the spiral on the Eagle Editions decal set for Yellow 10.
IMG-1739.jpg

IMG-1740.jpg

IMG-1742.jpg

The spinner has some characteristic staining on the back half due to leaks from the cannon system.  I'll have to figure out how to replicate that but for now, a dark brown wash to highlight the details.
IMG-1743.jpg

The prop blades have been painted but not yet weathered.  I could not detect any paint chipping on the reference photos of Yellow 10, so I'll probably do a couple rounds of salt fading to impart some wear on these blades.
IMG-1744.jpg

John

It's best to avoid a "hot" lacquer thinner when stripping paint from resin as it can etch and soften detail. Mr. Color Thinner works well. I generally use industrial alcohol(don't know the percentage of dilution) and soak the pieces for about 10 minutes before scrubbing. 

HTH,

Damian

23 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

John

It's best to avoid a "hot" lacquer thinner when stripping paint from resin as it can etch and soften detail. Mr. Color Thinner works well. I generally use industrial alcohol(don't know the percentage of dilution) and soak the pieces for about 10 minutes before scrubbing. 

HTH,

Damian

Thanks! That's essentially what I ended up doing... using an alcohol bath and stiff paint brush to clean off the paint.

21 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Terrific work on that prop, John!

Kev

Thanks Kevin!  Props not done but it is getting there!

21 hours ago, Nighthawk Calling 1 said:

Looking forward to seeing this finished the standard of workmanship is stunning. I wish I had steady hands to do detailing like this, hats off to you sir a true masterpiece is being produced.

I don't think I would call this a masterpiece but I appreciate the compliment!

12 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent update John.  Every new batch of photos just shows more pieces to this brilliant puzzle.  The work is also so crisp and clean, always enjoy it.

Matt 

9 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Those prop and spinner components are just gorgeous! I was about to say it'd be a crime to paint them but then I saw the spinner. Wow. Beautiful work!

It's hard to go wrong with such beautiful resin.  And yes, I do feel a little reluctance when putting paint to the Henri Daehne props... they are really beautiful in their raw state.

The prop blades were treated to a few rounds of salt fading.  I am very cautious with this technique because it looks pretty strange when it is overdone.  So I tend to wisp on very thin light grays and tans and sometimes I find that the effect is not even visible.  If the effect is a little too heavy, I can dial it back by gently rubbing some micromesh on it.
IMG-1747.jpg

Here are the prop blades after 3 salt fading attempts.  The effect is pretty subtle and these photos represent my attempt to maximize the visibility of it.  In some angles, you can hardly see it.
IMG-1762.jpg

IMG-1763.jpg

IMG-1765.jpg

Some initial attempts at staining the prop spinner.  This is just playing with pastel staining on a matte paint surface. I'll probably try to layer some more discrete stains, maybe with oils.  And yes, I did a salt fade on the spinner too.
IMG-1750.jpg

IMG-1751.jpg

Playing around with different light configurations to get another perspective on the spinner.
IMG-1753.jpg

IMG-1754.jpg

A peek of the assembled prop mounted onto the fuselage.
IMG-1775.jpg