1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Thanks Troy!  Each riveting session begins with the drawing of lines on plastic using scale drawings.  The last major component to receive the riveting treatment is the wing bottom.
IMG-1687.jpg

A look at the surface texture right after the rivet wheel has tramped its way across the wing surface.  Running my fingers across the raised bumps gives me a 70's vibe when raised rivets were common.
IMG-1688.jpg

The wings are sanded with fine sandpaper and then given a brown pastel wash to check the work.
IMG-1689.jpg

IMG-1690.jpg

IMG-1691.jpg

With both the wing tops and bottoms riveted, I wanted to check out the Aires wheel well bays again.  If you recall, they fell short width-wise, throwing off the alignment of the wing cannon and the barrel openings in the wings.  My solution was to cut the wheel well in half, exactly in the middle and using the wing cannon/barrel opening as the datum line for installation of the two bays independently.

All of the components seem to fit together pretty well.
IMG-1692.jpg

IMG-1694.jpg

Because the location of the wheel well has changed in relation to the landing gear mounts, the fit of the landing gear and retraction arms need to be checked.  The Aires resin set would have you graft several components to form a new retraction arm which I think is too fiddly for not much benefit.  I am sticking with the plastic retraction arms and making any necessary adjustments, which look to be fairly minor.
IMG-1695.jpg

IMG-1696.jpg

IMG-1697.jpg

Edited by Thunnus
Photos have been color-corrected

20 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

There is a cannon stuffed somewhere deep inside the wheel well area.  I can't imaging servicing this weapon in the field (spring of 1945) without a great amount of effort expended.  Crazy to think about this.  Rivet delight John!  

Yeah, it must've been very difficult to get to that cannon.  Luckily, I don't have to worry about those practical details and simply stuffed it in there.  Can't really see it but at least it is occupying some dead space in that area.

12 hours ago, abbadur said:

Congratulations, the best riveting I have ever seen

Thanks!  I really do recommend cleaning up the rivets with sanding after using a rivet tool... it makes a big difference.  The dark wash will be cleaned off as much as possible prior to painting and hopefully make their re-appearance later on in the build at the weathering stage although they will never be as clear as they are now on bare, unpainted plastic.

12 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show, Big John.  Love that engine.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you Mark! Glad to get that stage out of the way!

I replaced the plastic cannon barrels with brass tubing.
IMG-1699.jpg

Some details were added to the landing retraction arms.
IMG-1700.jpg

The retraction arms after painting.
IMG-1702.jpg

The Synthetic Ordnance works landing gear legs have been painted. I added copper wiring for brake lines, held in place by small pieces of brass tubing.  The stencils on the legs are from AIMS.
IMG-1705.jpg

IMG-1706.jpg

Thanks Wolf and Mark!

Getting the Aires resin wheel well ready for attachment to the wings.  They have been painted and I have temporarily mounted the wing cannons as a location aid.
IMG-1710.jpg

The wheel wells are placed by making sure the gun barrels are centered on the openings in the leading edge of the wing.
IMG-1711.jpg

I can formally abandon the kit wheel wells so I salvage the wing spar component using my new favorite saw: Blue Steel.
IMG-1712.jpg

By including a thin central section of the kit wheel well on the wing spar, I can conveniently fill that gap between the separate wheel well parts.
IMG-1713.jpg

This works out rather well, I must say.  As a late and unexpected development, I will have to paint and weather this central section of the wheel well before I move on.
IMG-1714.jpg

10 hours ago, Jerry Crandall said:

I hate to tell you this but the D-13 did not have any stenciling on the landing gear legs. The later sub types of the the Fw 190 series gradually did away with the gear leg stenciling.

Cheers, Jerry

Not at all Jerry!  Thank you for that heads up... I should've checked my references more carefully! Besides that gaffe, I hope you are enjoying the rest of the build so far.

10 hours ago, JefH said:

Amazing work once again.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff!  I appreciate you checking in!

7 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

That's a neat idea to salvage the kit spar to fill in the gap between the resin wells.  That's really smart thinking.

Matt 

One those ideas that hits you in the head while you are staring right at it.

As Jerry pointed out , Yellow 10 did NOT have landing gear leg markings of any kind so I wiped the landing gear clean leaving only the brass tube bits that hold the brake line.
IMG-1717.jpg

While re-painting the landing gear, I managed to glue the wings together.  Clamps were used to make sure the wings and wing spar part stay in contact, maintaining the wing's correct cross-section shape.
IMG-1719.jpg

Here are the re-painted landing gear legs, now without any markings, along with the other landing gear components.  I decided to paint the brake lines dark gray instead of black, just to mix things up.
IMG-1721.jpg

The sliding canopy has been glued into place.  After some cleanup of the wing leading edges, it will be time to glue the wings to the fuselage.  Or maybe I'll do the radiator cowling first.
IMG-1723.jpg

You asked me if I am enjoying your build. Are you kidding me? Every phase and every piece is a work of art. This build is unbelievable. You are putting the real "Yellow 10" to shame. Your building and panting skills are in a class by themselves. Can't wait to see it finished.

Cheers, Jerry

Edited by Jerry Crandall