1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Thanks guys!

9 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Excellent progress John.

Do you have to scribe the brass sheet or something so you can fold it into the rectangle? 

Matt 

I guess you can but I use a thin enough brass sheet that I simply smash-mold the brass onto the form using my fingers.  Use me fingernails to burnish the edges.

Here's a little tip for anyone that is building a 1/32 Hasegawa 190 kit.  There is a small antenna that is attached to the bottom of the fuselage.  You can see that the kit piece is just too clunky and should be replaced with something finer.
IMG-1621.jpg

The antenna is molded with a small circular base that fits into an appropriate sized hole in the fuselage.  We can take advantage of that base to mount a new antenna.  So... keeping the antenna intact, which will give you something to hold on to, we drill a small hole into the bottom of the base.
IMG-1622.jpg

A piece of wire or in this case a piece of stretched sprue is glued into the hole.
IMG-1623.jpg

We can now snip off the old antenna and voila... a new antenna!
IMG-1624.jpg

Which fits perfectly into the hole in the fuselage.
IMG-1648.jpg

It is time to mask the clear parts.  I use Eduard marks whenever I can.  They fit great, are well designed and come on the perfect material for masking canopies... stiff enough to hold it's shape but with just enough flex to make small fit adjustments.  I avoid the black vinyl masks from Montex... they are too stiff and have a tendency to lift on curved surfaces.
IMG-1626.jpg

Be careful when removing the mask from the backing sheet.  You want to avoid any crinkles on the demarcation edge or crumpled corners.  Sometimes the mask will not be cut all the way through and it will pull some excess material off the backing sheet.  If that happens, make sure you carefully cut away any irregularities.
IMG-1627.jpg

I've found the Eduard masks to fit each window section VERY accurately, if not perfectly.  I usually place the mask in a well-defined corner and gradually lay down one side down a canopy frame.  Once that side is accurately aligned, the rest of mask will naturally fall into position.
IMG-1628.jpg

The windshield masks are simple polygons placed on flat surfaces so these are easy to placed.  After placement, I use a wooden toothpick to burnish the mask to the plastic, paying special attention to all of the edges.
IMG-1629.jpg

The sliding canopy is a semi-bubble with curved surfaces.  Eduard recognizes the difficulty in trying to get a single piece of adhesive tape to conform to this curved surface so they have divided the mask into sections.  Like I said, these masks are very well designed and if you follow the placement instructions, you should get a very nice result.
IMG-1631.jpg

With mask pieces that feature long skinny arms, it helps to attach the mask in a corner first.  You can then use tweezers to grab the free end and pull into the correct position.
IMG-1633.jpg

Once the section is done, there is a central area that remains unmasked.  Eduard recommends using a liquid mask but I like to use pieces of Tamiya tape.
IMG-1634.jpg

IMG-1635.jpg

Repeat on the other side and the masking is done.
IMG-1639.jpg

Moving on to some body work... the landing gear covers and the horizontal stabilizers have been riveted.
IMG-1643.jpg

IMG-1645.jpg

There are some circular fasteners on the leading edge of the wing that are not represented so these are marked off with a pencil.
IMG-1644.jpg

The tool of choice here is a jewelry setting set.  Just do a search on EBay or Amazon for a "diamond setting beading tool" and you'll find one for less than $20.  Or you can buy a model-specific set for a little bit more.
IMG-1646.jpg

Here is the wing after the circular fasteners have been added.  I still need to rivet the wings.
IMG-1647.jpg

I forged ahead and riveted the upper wings.  The Dora has a lot of riveting on these wings so the drawing of the lines took quite a bit of time.  The lines are drawn in pencil using a clear, flexible ruler.
IMG-1651.jpg

Using a rivet wheel (Galaxy Tools 1.00mm), the rivets are laid down row by row.
IMG-1652.jpg

The rivet tool punches small holes into the plastic but also creates a small mound of raised plastic around each hole.  Some modelers stop here with the rivet process but I take an extra step to get rid of the mounds.
IMG-1653.jpg

IMG-1654.jpg

Using a fine grade of sandpaper, I remove all of the raised plastic caused by the riveting, leaving just the hole.  The goal here is to represent the rivets as small dots, not holes so I always use a pastel wash to fill the rivets as part of the post-painting weathering process.  I do NOT want the rivets to appear as physical holes on the model as I believe this takes away from the overall presentation.  The same applies to panel lines.  I want them to appear as lines not grooves so all of the panel lines get filled on my builds.  Some may not agree with this approach but it is intentional and I have very specific reasons for doing this.
IMG-1657.jpg

A dark pastel wash has been used to highlight the work.  I'll usually rivet the wings in pairs so that I get symmetry in the lines.
IMG-1658.jpg

The riveting process cracked the wings in two places!
IMG-1659.jpg

A close-up of the rivet detail that was added to the wing.  Quite a difference when you compare it to before.
IMG-1660.jpg

IMG-1644.jpg

Prior to assembly, the wings will get scrubbed with a toothbrush and dish soap to remove as much of the sanding debris and wash from the rivets and panel lines.

amazing work on those wing rivets John , something about that rectangle panel, not sure if it was a repair made in the restoration and hasegawa copied but have not seen it on ww2  Dora's pictures, if someone can confirm this? cheers

Whats-App-Image-2021-02-21-at-12-16-54.j

Screenshot-1469.png

Edited by Antonio Argudo

2 hours ago, Antonio Argudo said:

amazing work on those wing rivets John , something about that rectangle panel, not sure if it was a repair made in the restoration and hasegawa copied but have not seen it on ww2  Dora's pictures, if someone can confirm this? cheers

Whats-App-Image-2021-02-21-at-12-16-54.j

Screenshot-1469.png

Not sure Antonio but if some information pops up, I'd be glad to make that adjustment.

Brown 4 will be a future subject for me!  I've got the kit on the shelf and have already done an analysis just to test my theory about the curved "4" in that pic. B)

IMG-1298.jpg

Just some more minor work on the D-13 as we are back to work on Monday.  Instead of just drilling two holes to mount the boarding ladder, I excavated the opening to show the recess that would be there when the ladder is extended.
IMG-1661.jpg

IMG-1663.jpg