1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

10 hours ago, Scale32 said:

That EE cockpit sure is a nice bit of kit and you've done it justice with the paint.

Have you seen the Aires version by any chance to compare?

Cheers Bevan 

Thanks Bevan! I've built a few of these Hasegawa Dora kits and have used the Eagle Editions cockpit before.  I would rank it as the best cockpit upgrade for the Dora, compared to the Aires and out of production MDC sets, which I've also used.  The Aires set is more simplistic but the casting is finer and more uniform.

IMG-2911.jpg

IMG-2913.jpg

But in the end, the cockpit gets engulfed within the fuselage with limited visibility into the area and the differences between the Aires and EE cockpits start to fade.

Aires

IMG-3766.jpg

Eagle Editions

170-qf0sjf-P.jpg

8 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Good show.  What paints do you use?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  The RLM66 is Mr Hobby Aqueous.  For the other primary colors used for the detail painting, I use my stash of Tamiya paints.

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great work John, the cockpit looks very effective, realism wise.

Thanks Brian!  Pretty straightforward stuff and I tried to not spend too much time on things that will go unseen.  Most of these cockpit details will eventually get boxed in like this...

134-y-Ydj6n4.jpg

What do you do when Mr. Jerry Crandall says the seat back should have not silver-colored wear because it is armored? (a) Come up with a dismissive retort like, "Yeah right!  Like you know what a real Focke-Wulf 190 seat looks like. Psssh!"? (b) Continue the build, pretending like you never saw the comment? Or (c) Wipe it and start over?
IMG-1309.jpg

Of course, with all due respect to Mr. Crandall's undeniable expertise in the matter, I chose (c).
IMG-1312.jpg

After I sprayed the seat with some appropriate shades, I thought I'd delve into the engine compartment and try to get the MG151 fitted.  Here is that "cover" that I was talking about in the previous post.  It has a hole drilled into it to accept the MG151.
IMG-1313.jpg

The stub of the MG151 barrel can be wedged into the hole.
IMG-1315.jpg

Since the gun protrudes past the resin bulkhead supplied in the Grey Matter resin set, I cut out a hole in it. In reality, the gun body goes all the way back into the front of the cockpit but since there is no visibility to that area, I am not going to cut a corresponding hole in the cockpit tub bulkhead.  I'm just going to trim the gun body to allow the cockpit tub to fit.
IMG-1317.jpg

As you can see, the gun is visible but obscured.  It will be even more obscured once I had additional pipes and wiring.  I'll also have to add a chute for the expended ammo.  If possible, I'll try and incorporate the resin ammo container as part of the chute.  The real ammo containers in the D-13 were located above in the space where the D-9 cowl guns were.
IMG-1319.jpg

IMG-1321.jpg

Thanks guys!  The seat has been redone it using a base coat of Alclald Steel on the armored backrest and the Tamiya AS-12 silver for the frame of the bucket.  Yes, I've chipped it again but there is very low contrast between the dark steel and the dark grey RLM 66.

IMG-1368.jpg

IMG-1369.jpg