1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

7 minutes ago, Kais said:

John,
as you're building a D-13, recall there are no MG131s, there no MG131 ammo cans behind the engine on the firewall.
Good luck!

True, the single ejection port in the lower wing panel would have been for the motorkanone, and the ejection chutes for the upper cowl guns would not be there. I need to find some reference of what that would look like. Probably similar to the Ta152

Returning to the wooden flaps... first, the recessed panel lines were filled.  I used black CA so that I could still use the lines as a guide for placing the decals.  Only two colors this time, white and off-white.
IMG-1142.jpg

I am going to use another wood decal pattern that has more grain detail.
IMG-1143.jpg

I like this a little better than the initial try and much better than the decals that Eagle Editions supplies.
IMG-1146.jpg

Thanks Matt!  I think the major improvement was getting rid of those panel lines, which may not be very evident in the photos.  Incremental improvement in the wood panel appearance but I'll take it. I like the visible grain patterns better.  I did use the older wood decal for the central piece, which makes it stand out a bit.

How do we know Gosshawk Unlimited followed what FW did back in early 1945?  We're looking at a restoration picture above.  The material has to be spec'd to an original or better than what was original used.  The varnish could be something completely different than what was used back in 1945.  Case in point.  How many Mustangs do you see with beautiful wooden varnished floors on Modern-day Mustang restorations?  They never came out of North American that way in 45....

Sorry but I just have to laugh!  I was initially typing a response like Troy's, saying that I was ok with the color and didn't feel a need to match the wood color that a restoration team came up with. But Matt's reply made me think that it would be an easy thing to tint the wood a little darker with a light spray of clear red.  Which I've since done...

IMG-1148.jpg

IMG-1149.jpg

But I agree with Troy that we really don't know what the wood flaps looked like on the operational D-13.  Vincent K even suggested that they may have been covered by some sort of anti-fungal primer or linen.  So unless I have a request for mahogany panels, I'm considering the wood flaps done.

My post was not an endorsement of any particular color but since Jerry has written

books on the subject of LW color, I didn't think his product would be that far off color

wise. Obviously a reddish tint would be the answer had John chosen that option.

I agree with Troy that since there is no info on what type of wood was used or was it

the same wood and color (fabric) treatment used on all wooden flaps, some leeway

must be given under the rules :whistle:.     We like leeway anyway  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After taking a short break following the finish of the Me262B Nightfighter build, I've been trying to work up enough mojo to start this build back up.  It's slow going but I've managed to make a little progress.

First off, I've received the Aires 190D gun bay resin set.  I think it must be one of Aires older products based on the color of the resin and visible yellowing of the packaging.
IMG-1236.jpg

I have no intention of using these in the wing root gun bays as designed but I thought it would be helpful to at least assemble one of the wing root stations to get a better understanding of how the MG151 is mounted.  Surprisingly, the front end of gun body butts up against a solid wall.  Although the gun barrels are provided, the set makes no provisions for their use.  I guess they expect the modeler to drill the necessary holes.
IMG-1237.jpg

IMG-1238.jpg

The back of the Jumo 213 has a cover, which I THINK is the location of the hollow space where a gun barrel would fit.  D-9's had no gun in this location hence the cover, which is the black object above the large trunk of the supercharger.  The Hasegawa kit depicts this cover and therefore gives me a point of reference as to where the MG151 can be mounted.
NASM-WF-224698-neg.jpg

As previously shown, the instrument panels have been painted and it was time to paint the rest of the cockpit.  Pretty understated and, dare I say, boring?  The Eagle Editions cockpit represents much more than will be visible from the cockpit opening.  Everything behind and in front of the raised side panels will be obscured from sight.
IMG-1304.jpg

Here is the frontal hood with the upper instrument panel in place.  The Revi 16B gun sight still needs to be painted and added.
IMG-1305.jpg

The upper areas of the sidewalls have been chipped.  Really not much else will be see due to the raised side panels.  None of the painted wiring runs will be visible as they will be blocked by the instrument panel and the seat.
IMG-1306.jpg

The starboard side panel is grafted from the Zoukei Mura Ta152H-1 kit to reflect the difference between the D-13 and D-9.  One of the things I've been doing after the cockpit has been painted and given a flat coat is to go back with a fine brush and touch up the black areas with Future.  The glossy Future will darken the black and provide more contrast and also give some surfaces a variance in sheen.  Just something to break up the monotony of a sparse cockpit.
IMG-1307.jpg

IMG-1308.jpg

The seat hasn't been given a flat coat yet.  I'll do that after the HGW harnesses have been added.
IMG-1309.jpg

On the rear deck, I've pre-installed loops for the attachment of the shoulder harnesses.  The top of loops have been left open so, in theory, I can just slip the shoulder straps onto the loops and close them with CA glue.
IMG-1310.jpg