1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

50 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Is removing the wash just so that they don't fill up with paint later on?

Excellent as always.  I can't even do a rivet line on a flat piece straight, and you're doing it around curves like it's nothing.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  That's right!  I've had the rivets get filled with paint by the time the pre-decal gloss coat goes on and running the riveter over existing holes is not fun.  So I'm trying to be as proactive as I can to keep the rivets clear until the painting starts.

A better look at the body work accomplished so far.  As you know, I elected to modify the Hasegawa fuselage rather than utilize the Grey Matter resin pieces due to various reasons.  The sculpting of the bulge is much more subtle than the grafted-on look of the Grey Matter and considers the cross-sections of the D-13 as found in the Mr. Crandall's Dora Volume 2.

IMG-0984.jpg

IMG-0985.jpg

IMG-0986.jpg

IMG-0987.jpg

IMG-0988.jpg

IMG-0989.jpg

Thanks Troy! Appreciate the feedback!

Looking ahead at the wheel well area.  Unlike the previous models, the Fw190D series did not have a ceiling for the central wheel well area and allows viewing into the rear of the engine compartment.  Hasegawa provides some basic components for this area based on the D-9 and I'm trying to figure out the differences found in the D-13.  Again, as always, this model is not meant to be a definitively accurate portrayal of the D-13 but I would like it to at least mimic reality as much as I am able.  One of the big differences is that the D-13 had a single cannon firing through the nose while the D-9 had twin cannons mounted on top of the engine.

Dry fitting the Hasegawa D-9 rear engine assembly into the fuselage, along with the Aires resin wheel wells, I'm trying to get a feel for what is visible and what is not.  You can see the twin ammo chutes which need to consolidated to a single chute.
IMG-0990.jpg

Placing the central wing part, which is from the Grey Matter resin set, blocks some of the view but the ammo chutes are still readily visible.
IMG-0991.jpg

IMG-0992.jpg

I will be taking a look at my resources which includes Jerry Crandall's Dora Volume 2.  If anyone has any photos regarding this area, please do share!

What I can send to you is no photo but an evaluation of Charles Metz (†), if it helps - see below.

I like your build and report very much, for me it is a professional work of art. And I like the participation of so many.

Fw 190 D detail references by Charles Metz

Crandall and Tullis: 'Yellow 10: The Story of the Ultra-Rare Fw 190 D-13' (Eagle Files series, No. 2; Eagle Editions [USA], 1999; 88 pages; US$30) -- Fw 190 D-9 propeller hub (p. 69), radiator (p. 33), wing panel between wheelwells (p. 72); Fw 190 D-11 engine bay (p. 8); Fw 190 D-13 boarding step (p. 34), cockpit detail (p. 33), engine [Jumo 213 E, lower-rear portion] (p. 63), engine bay (p. 65, 70, 72), exhaust pipes (p. 31), multi-view drawings (p. 13, 81-86), propeller (p. 21), radiator (p. 33), supercharger intake (p. 21, 23), tailwheel (p. 34), upper cowl panel (p. 64, 69, 70), wheel (p. 35), wheelwell detail (p. 60, 61, 69, 70, 72); Ta 152 fin structure (p. 79)

Merrick: 'German Aircraft Interiors 1935-1945: Vol. 1' (German Aircraft Interiors series, No. 1; Monogram Aviation Publications [USA], 1996; 256 pages; US$49.95) -- Fw 190 D-9 cockpit detail (p. 171-176), tail (p. 177); Fw 190 D-13 cockpit detail (p. 224, 225)

Nohara and Shiwaku: 'Focke-Wulf Fw 190D' (Aero Detail series, No. 2; Dai-Nippon Kaiga Co., Ltd. [Japan], 1990; in Japanese and English; 76 pages; US$34.95) -- Fw 190 D-9 ailerons (p. 31), cockpit detail (p. 58, 59), cowl (p. 4-6, 8, 9, 52-54, 56), cutaway drawing (p. 51), drop tank (p. 61), engine [Jumo213A] (p. 54, 55), exhausts (p. 12), generic camouflage & marking patterns (p. 46-48), guns (p. 60, 61), landing gear (p. 37, 38), propeller (p. 56), tail (p. 38-42); Fw 190 D-13 canopy (p. 13-15), cockpit detail (p. 14, 16-18), cowl (p. 6-10, 57), engine [Jumo213F] (p. 43-45), exhausts (p. 10, 11), propeller (p. 56, 57), step (p. 24), tail (p. 39-42); Fw 190 D-9 & Fw 190 D-13 wheelwell detail (p. 26, 27, 30, 32-36, 38); Fw 190 D-15 cowl (p. 53, 57), engine [DB 603] (p. 55), propeller (p. 57)

Rodeike: 'Focke Wulf Jagdflugzeug Fw 190 A, Fw 190 "Dora", Ta 152 H' (privately published [Germany], [undated]; in German; 443 pages; approximate value US$80 [availability unknown]) -- Fw 190 D-9 canopy & head armor (p. 389), engine bay (p. 388, 393), flap interior (p. 392); Fw 190 D-11 propeller & spinner (p. 408); Fw 190 D-13 supercharger intake (p. 413)

Ryle and Laing: 'Fw 190D' (Walk Around series, No. 10; Squadron/Signal [USA], 1996; 80 pages; US$14.95) -- Fw 190 D-9 cockpit detail (p. 15-18), cowl (p. 19-22), engine bay (p. 6), fuselage interior (p. 8, 9), generic marking patterns (p. 68), gun bays (p. 24, 25), propeller (p. 67), step (p. 38), tail (p. 13, 14), tailwheel (p. 15), turbocharger intake (p. 19-21), wheelwell detail (p. 23, 26-31, 33, 34); Fw 190 D-13 cockpit detail (p. 52-54), cowl (p. 59, 64), cowl flaps (p. 59), engine bay (p. 60, 61), propeller (p. 67), tail (p. 40, 41), tailwheel (p. 58), turbocharger intake (p. 56), wheelwell detail (p. 48-51, 64, 65)

Smith and Creek: 'FW 190 D' (Monogram Close-Up series, No. 10; Monogram Aviation Publications [USA], 1986; 32 pages; approximate value US$25 [out of print]) -- Fw 190 D-9 cockpit detail (p. 11), cutaway drawing (p. 13), generic camouflage & marking patterns (p. 22, 23), multi-view drawings (p. 22, 23), miscellaneous other detail; Fw 190 D-10 multi-view drawings (p. 24); Fw 190 D-11 multi-view drawings (p. 24); Fw 190 D-12 cutaway drawing (p. 31), multi-view drawings (p. 24); Fw 190 D-13 multi-view drawings (p. 25); Fw 190 D-14 multi-view drawings (p. 25); Fw 190 D-15 cutaway drawing (p. 31), multi-view drawings (p. 25)

Smith, Pentland and Lutz: 'Luftwaffe Painting Guide' (Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings series [unnumbered]; Kookaburra Technical Publications [Australia], 1979; 88 pages; approximate value US$90 [out of print]) -- Fw 190 D-9 cockpit detail (p. 52)

Urbanke: 'Green Hearts, First in Combat with the Dora 9' (Eagle Editions [USA], 1998; 351 pages; US$85) -- Fw 190 D-9 "blown" canopy & headrest (p. 153, 254), "cigar-shaped" drop tank (p. 232), engine bay (p. 203), windscreen (p. 254); Fw 190 D-13 supercharger intake (p. 312)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the reference list, Abbadur!  That is very helpful and has reminded me of some references that I forgot I had (Aero Detail and Squadron Walk Around).

Do these covers for the outboard gun positions need to be filled?  I thought that I had read that somewhere but can't seem to recall where.

IMG-1017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A note about the wooden flaps. Lt. Karl-Heinz Ossenkop remarked; Some aircraft(D-9s) were equipped with red plywood landing flaps which I had not seen  before.  Also, the flaps on the D-13 are as they were when the U.S. Airforce began the restoration of the D-9 years ago which at that time had the D-13 wing. 

Cheers, Jerry

Thank you for that insight, Jerry!  Always inspirational to have the author of my favorite books comment on a build!

I'm still kicking around ideas for the visible rear engine area including ordering some aftermarket to help me differentiate this D-13 from a D-9. In the meantime, I worked a bit on the instrument panels.  These are from the Eagle Editions resin set that Jerry produces.  The new paintbrush is a fancy shmancy Winsor & Newton Series 7 sable brush in Size 1.  Getting it doesn't make me a better painter but it has been interesting using it compared to my generic hobby shop paint brushes.  One of the biggest things I've noticed is the amount of brush/bristle compared to how fine a point this brush can maintain.  Which means more paint on the brush, which lessens dry-out.  The yellow and red bezel outlines were easier to make using this brush.
IMG-1064.jpg

Eagle Editions does not provide any instrument panel decals, recommending instead the use of the kit decals, which are not very good compared to what is available.  I elected to use a combination of Airscale and MDC decals.  Each individual instrument is punched out using the RP Toolz punch set.  I've also been punching out appropriate sized discs from clear acetate to serve as glass covers for the instruments.
IMG-1065.jpg

One thing that I've been trying to improve upon is centering the punches a little bit better.  This evening, I managed to finish the top instrument panel.
IMG-1068.jpg

The punched out discs of clear acetate are ready to be placed in front of each gauge.  I use Future to secure the discs in place.
IMG-1074.jpg

Here is the completed upper instrument panel. This will be installed into the resin cockpit hood when the time comes.
IMG-1078.jpg

IMG-1077.jpg

Similarly, the punch set was used to populate the lower instrument panel with instruments and gauge covers.  I need to add the lever that goes into the slot on the left side of the panel.
IMG-1079.jpg

5 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hey John,

Will this build have the canopy closed like usual?  Just curious.   Looking good my friend!  

Most likely Troy.  Just a personal preference to have the aircraft's aerodynamic lines preserved with everything closed up.

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

John,

That instrument panel looks immaculate! The more I zoom in, the more I like. Do you see a distinct difference using clear disks vs. just using a gloss application?

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom!  There is a difference but it is on the subtle side.  With a gloss application, you usually get an irregular surface as the liquid tends to pool around the outer edges of the dial.  The clear disks are perfectly flat as you can see from the reflections.  More noticeable the larger the instrument.  On other Dora builds, I've used the clear discs on the upper panel and the drop of Future treatment on the lower panel.

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Your work and utterly humble disposition always make these a joy to follow.  Your "need to improve" is better than my best.

Matt 

Thanks Matt!  I'm just trying to keep up with everyone else here!