1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

14 hours ago, Thunnus said:

The kit tires are smooth so I have the option but something in me doesn't like that irregularity.  And who knows... it was probably a temporary condition.

That's my first thought also: instinctively, it doesn't feel right to have different patterns on the tires.

But then, it also points to the supply difficulties of the Luftwaffe at the end of the war. So it can be an interesting detail to represent on your model.

Just a thought!

Alain

Guest Vincent
8 hours ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Different tire pattern on one aircraft were common in American aircraft. especially on P-47 and P-51.

Tail wheel is very nice.

On German ones as well : when you have an issue with one wheel, it's better to remove it, install a spare one from a wrecked a/c and fix it later. That way the plane can fly while you fix the issue. And the repaired wheel will become the spare. So very common to see 109s and 190s with mixed tires styles and hubs (within a given size that is)

Edited by Vincent

A very small update... I believe that Yellow 10 had different ammo chute openings than what is represented by the kit.  This is based on photos of the restored D-13, which now has the correct D-13 wings in place, which wasn't the case prior the most recent restoration.
fhc_fw190d_02.jpg

I've used Milliput to fill in the the cut-outs of the ammo chutes.
IMG-8203.jpg

Now that the G-14 build can be re-started and the Ta152H may be in that position soon, I may have to pause this build.  Three on-going builds is a little much for me and I don't want to get confused and do something stupid.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Beaconroot said:

Just out of curiosity will you be returning to this build upon your return to the bench? Just checking.....

Jim Root

Yes, Jim!  I try to keep my Shelf of Doom as bare as possible so I will be returning to the D-13 build at some point in time.  I just can't say exactly when right now!

• 1 month later...

With the stop-and-go work happening on the 262B build, I thought I'd dust off this one from the shelf.  You can tell I haven't gotten very far since all of the parts still fit into the original box.
IMG-0773.jpg

I had to review my build thread to determine where I stood on this build.  As you may recall, having access to both the Real Model and Grey Matter (J. Rutman) Fw190D-13 conversions in hand, I decided to go another route and sculpt my own cowling bulges on the Hasegawa plastic based on photos and cross-section drawings found in Jerry Crandall's Dora Volume 2.  I deviated from the Grey Matter rendition, which elected to graft a longitudinal bump along cowling hinge line, by feathering in the bottom edge of the bump completely and leaving only the top edge depression as the sole visual cue to the modifications.  The major sculpt work has been finished and I've given the major engine cowling components a thin coat of Mr Primer Surfacer 1000 to help check the work done so far.

So here is what the nose area looks like right now with some of the major components taped into place.  The top cowling will be Grey Matter resin part and the supercharger intake will be from the Real Model set (which I think is a cast of the Z-M Ta152H intake).

IMG-0774.jpg

IMG-0775.jpg

IMG-0776.jpg

IMG-0777.jpg