1/32 Hasegawa Fw190D-13 Yellow 10

Thunnus

Thanks guys!  Not the usual approach, especially having purchased both conversion sets.  At least I'll be able to utilize components from both sets.

The wing insert panel has been dealt with.  Looks a mess now but it should be work out nicely under a coat of paint.
IMG-8156.jpg

Now I'm going to take a look at the Henri Daehne resin prop.  This one is almost identical to the Ta152H prop that I just used except the prop mount is geared toward the Hasegawa D-9 kit.  Surprisingly, there is a part missing... the backing washer that aligns the prop shaft from behind the radiator face is missing.  Luckily, I have a bunch of HD D-9 props so I fished the missing part from one of those.
IMG-8157.jpg

There is some removal of casting blocks to deal with but Mr. Daehne provides a fully detailed instruction sheets with exact dimensions which takes the guessing out of cleanup.
IMG-8158.jpg
IMG-8159.jpg

The rounded blade tips are the distinguishing feature between the D-13 and the Ta152H.
IMG-8164.jpg

I double check the fit of the HD prop to the fuselage...
IMG-8162.jpg
IMG-8163.jpg

Finally jumping over what's normally the first step of any build... the cockpit!  The Eagle Editions cockpit for the D-9 is molded in a light-colored resin.  This is not a plug-n-play set and will require some removals and shaving of the fuselage insides to make it fit.
IMG-8165.jpg
IMG-8166.jpg
IMG-8167.jpg

I have limited references on the D-13 cockpit and I'm not sure how accurate these references are.  But I went ahead and made some changes based on the photos found in Mr. Crandall's Dora Volume 2.

The D-13 has a cannon firing through the spinner and the cannon breech supposedly intrudes into the cockpit between the rudder pedals.  I've never seen a photo of this breech but I think the center section of the instrument panel will hide it.  The Eagle Editions cockpit comes with a bomb-control panel that seems to sorta kinda of match the panel in the photo.
IMG-8168.jpg

The starboard console looks very similar to the console in the Ta152H.  Coincidentally, I have the kit pieces for both consoles from the Ta152H build since I used the RB Productions photo etch replacements.  It's a pretty easy grafting job to put the Ta152H panel onto the D-9 cockpit.
IMG-8169.jpg
IMG-8175.jpg

The port console is close enough to keep as is.
IMG-8170.jpg

Now that the D-13 changes to the cockpit have been mapped out, I'll have to start cutting up the kit fuselage to make it all fit.

Thanks for that photo of the cannon breech, Kais.  It looks to be tucked behind the foot pedals so I'm not going to worry about representing it in my cockpit.

After trimming the resin cockpit parts, I cobbled them together using tape.  You can see how limited the view is of anything forward of the instrument panel.
IMG-8176.jpg
IMG-8177.jpg
IMG-8178.jpg

Some surgery needs to be performed to accommodate the Eagle Editions cockpit.  The easy part is sawing off the instrument panel hood and replacing it with the resin hood.
IMG-8179.jpg

A fit check to make sure that all of the components, including the windscreen and canopy, go together without any issues.
IMG-8181.jpg
IMG-8182.jpg

Now comes the tedious part.  The insides of the fuselage need to be thinned considerably.  This work has begun but I'm nowhere near the recommended amount of thinning.
IMG-8183.jpg

After much more futzing with the fuselage interior and the external edges of the resin cockpit, I've arrived at a place where feel good about the fit. This is not an exact science since there is a lot of give and play with taped components but a good indication of how things will go when glue is eventually applied.  The cockpit is taped into the fuselage.
IMG-8185.jpg

Without unnecessary force and accounting for the taped joints, the cockpit looks to be in proper position.
IMG-8184.jpg

Forcing the cockpit into position may push the canopy opening too wide so I want to check the position of these components as well.  With only gravity holding them in place, the engine cowling, the instrument panel hood, the windscreen and sliding canopy appear to be in good position.
IMG-8186.jpg
IMG-8187.jpg

Didn't take photos but I've also conducted a preliminary check of the rear engine plug assembly that is visible from the open wheel wells.  Some modifications will be necessary to account for the single ammo chute but I haven't solved that riddle yet.

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking fantastic John, as usual.  We still get to see your interpretation on the paint livery.  Lower wing plug and seams are so smooth.  

Thanks Troy!  Paint job is a long way off so I've got time to digest that crazy scheme and try to make sense of JaPo and Crandall's conflicting interpretations.   But I'm gonna take a pause from building this weekend as I'm scheduled to go... bass fishing!  Yee haw!

2 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Very interesting build! The resin cockpit is well designed as it results in representing the canopy rails wich are quite visible in 1/32 scale.

One little thing: the type of prop (round tips) was also used on the Ta 152H, so is not a distinctive feature of the D-13.

Alain

Thanks Alain!  Yes, you are right.  The Ta152H used both styles...

Ta152H-0 WNr 150010

J2yJ66R.jpg

Ta152H-1 WNr 150167

IRgm2Ju.jpg

Ta152H-0 WNr 150003

jlfMnck.jpg

Fw190D-13 WNr 836017

CK2oOIa.jpg

Playing around with some of the landing gear bits.  I've cleaned up the Barracuda resin wheels.  This is a pair of treaded tires.  I've also assembled one of the kit tires, which portrays the smooth, non-tread tire.  Interestingly, photos of Yellow 10 seem to show that it has one treaded tire and one smooth.  I'm not sure if I'm going to portray that peculiarity or not but I'm prepared to do so.
IMG-8188.jpg

Drilled out some lightening holes and added some bits to the oleo scissors.
IMG-8189.jpg

Mounted on the Synthetic Ordnance Works landing gear... I love the shiny metal without having to paint it!  Don't mind that mold seam... Damian has thoughtfully put it on the side of the landing gear doors.
IMG-8191.jpg

5 minutes ago, Miloslav1956 said:

Yellow yellow 10 has a right wheel with a pattern and the left without a pattern.

Yes, I mentioned that in the text.  The kit tires are smooth so I have the option but something in me doesn't like that irregularity.  And who knows... it was probably a temporary condition.

24 minutes ago, Thunnus said:

Interestingly, photos of Yellow 10 seem to show that it has one treaded tire and one smooth.

I'm not sure if I'm going to portray that peculiarity or not but I'm prepared to do so.

Don't be goin' all crazy on us now John   :blink:

;)