1:32 scale - Siemens-Schuckert D.III

sandbagger

Very nice effort!

Well, I add some images of a late Schuckert replica. Maybe this might help to understand some of the old photographs better or to look for other fittings to be considered. Of course this is just a replica, so take the whole thing with a grain of salt or two.

imgp2430d7kq6.jpg

imgp24314tjc1.jpg

imgp2432xnjbm.jpg

imgp24331ckob.jpg

Regards

- dutik

Hi all,
Cross bracing wires were fitted between the tops of the rear fuselage cabane struts and the inside of the fuselage.
These wires were attached to a small rectangular frame, located on the top centre of the cockpit front decking panel.
Each of the four separate bracing wires were attached the corners of this frame.

rigging2.jpg

The model has the rectangular attachment frame moulded solid, which does not represent the actual frame.
The ‘Brengun’ photo-etch set has two frames, either of which (or both) can be used, but attaching them to the decking panel and rigging is not explained.

I removed the pre-moulded lump and drilled two holes of 0.5 mm diameter at approximately 60 degrees, down and through the front decking panel.
Two lines of 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament were passed through 0.4 mm diameter tube, then through the photo-etch frame.
The lines were looped back through the tubes the secured in position with thin CA adhesive.
The following shot shows it test fitted. The frame will be finally fitted later in the build during the rigging phase,

Mike

rigging4.jpg

Hi dutik,

Interesting photographs of this aircraft.

As you said it is a replica.

For instance the louvres in the fuselage bottom panel are the wrong way around.

The way they are they would be scooping air into the fuselage, instead of venting hot engine air to atmosphere.

Nice photos though,

Mike

Hi all,
I really should build models out of the box (OOB).
I followed the instructions for embodying the ‘Loon Models’ resin wing tips for the early version aircraft.
Now I've found that the span of the lower wing is 12 mm too short (6 mm at each wing tip).
As can be seen, when the modified wings are laid onto a correctly resized drawing, the span of the upper wing is correct, but the span of the lower wing is not.
The original kit is for the later D.IV aircraft, the lower wing of which had a slightly shorter span when compared to the upper wing (disregarding the extended balanced ailerons).
So now, having embodied the modifications to both wings, I'm not sure whether the 'Loon Models' instructions for cutting away the kit wing tips are incorrect or the wing span of the original kit supplied lower wing is too short?

wingspan3.jpg

wingspan2.jpg

wingspan.jpg

Anyway, I'll need to cut the lower wing at both sides and along a rib line then pin and pack the wings to the correct span.
This will also mean relocating the lower wing location holes for the outer wing struts.

Mike

Hi all,
To correct the span of the lower wing:
Wing cut through 30 mm from the wing roots.
Two holes drilled (0.5 mm diameter) into outer wing sections.
Rods (0.5 mm diameter) inserted into holes.
Wings pushed together to indent rods into wing centre section (marks for drilling).
Two holes drilled (0.5 mm diameter) into centre wing section.
Two packs of 6 x 1 mm plastic card cemented together.
Two holes drilled through packs to match rods in the wings.
Packs fitted onto wing rods.
Wing sections and packs aligned then secured together with CA adhesive and liquid cement.
Packs filed and sanded to match the wing profiles.
Wing strut location holes filled and re-drilled 6 mm further inboard.

Mike

wingspan4.jpg

wingspan5.jpg

Hi all,
The fuselage is ready to be closed up.
The kits cockpit was modified by the following:

Addition of photo-etch rear bulkhead, fuselage formers, fuel/oil **** control panel and side box containers.
Added tube for spent cartridge chute.
Added cross bracing to fuselage forward area and cockpit floor (0.4 mm tube - 0.12 mm mono-filament). 
Added rudder and double elevator control line (0.4 mm tube - 0.08 mm mono-filament). 
Added instrument decals (not supplied in the kit).
Added 0.3 mm lead wiring for magneto starter, starter switch and Tachometer drive, twin gun trigger cables and twin throttles (control column.
Replaced kit supplied oil priming pump and oil and fuel **** controls - 0.4 mm tubing.
Added 0.4 mm lead wire for oil priming pump pipe.

Mike

pitdone1.jpg

pitdone2.jpg

pitdone3.jpg

pitdone4.jpg

Hi all,
The fuselage right side is now fitted and the rudder and elevator control lines rigged.
Next step is to fit the pilot's seat harness, including the shoulder straps through the rear firewall slots.
Then I can close up the fuselage and fit the seat,

Mike

controllinesdone.jpg 

Hi all,
The fuselage now closed up, including:
Top decking panel
Underside louvred panel
Engine fire wall
Tail plane
Fuselage head rest fairing
Underside access panel and hinge.

Most joint and seams needed filling and sanding.
Next it's applying primer to check for surface imperfections then on with the build,

Mike

preprime1.jpg 

preprime2.jpg 

preprime3.jpg 

Hi all,
The fuselage of this aircraft was coloured blue and was applied over what were the original National markings (fuselage and rudder). However, the markings were still visible under the applied blue colour and therefore need to be represented on the model. The colour profile of this aircraft and others from Jasta 15 appear in several books and the profile artist for the one used does state that the over painted markings are speculative and based on previous aircraft flown in Jasta 15.

faded.jpg

The following photograph, although of poor quality, shows a large white cross with the black cross at its centre on the fuselage. The rudder seems to show a very faded black cross under the white coloured rudder with the later black cross superimposed.

plane1.jpg

The colour profile has the previous rudder marking as the old style ’Cross Pattée’. However, when the photograph is changed to a negative, the marking, although difficult to see, does appear to be more of a standard cross in shape. 

neg1.jpg

neg2.jpg

Between March and May of 1918, the ’Idflieg’ ordered that the National markings be changed, but initially no dimensions were given and confusion at the various Jasta’s led to a wide
variation in the shape of the new cross markings. The older ’Cross Pattée’ marking was used earlier in WW1 and I personally doubt that this underlying marking would have been on an
aircraft in 1918, especially when you consider that the first production batch of D.III aircraft was placed in March 1918, the same month the ‘Cross Pattée’ was discontinued. Therefore I've chosen to use the later cross shape as the underlying marking on the rudder, rather than the older ’Cross Pattée’.

I'm intending to chip the paintwork on the forward metal panels and engine cowl, so I've applied a base coat of 'Alclad' Duraluminium (ALC-102).
Then a coat of cheap hairspray, as I can't get on with chipping fluids, which I find tend to bead up.   

hairspray1.jpg

hairspray2.jpg

The figures I chose to use are the pilot and airman from the ‘Aviattic’ - “GötterdÄmmerung” pilot and airman (ATTRES 024) 

figures1.jpg

Mike

Hi all,
The base colours of red (engine cowl, propeller spinner and forward fuselage) and blue (fuselage and tail unit) have been applied (both darkened slightly).

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

The masks were used to create the fuselage and rudder 'over painted markings, which were then airbrush over to give the impression of being over painted.
The fuselage markings will be partially covered by the pilot's personal markings and a decal will be used for the rudder cross.
The fuselage markings are strange looking but based of the photograph I posted earlier (evidence of the confusion the orders of March/May 1918 caused).

masksfus1.jpg

masksfus3.jpg

masksfus2.jpg

masksfus4.jpg

I've 'hair sprayed' an under coat before applying the red, as those areas have metal surfaces that I want to chip slightly.
The overall semi-sheen finish and weathering will be applied once the wing decals have been applied.

Mike

Edited by sandbagger