1:32 scale - Siemens-Schuckert D.III

sandbagger

Hi all,
Next up on the modelling bench is the Roden 1:32nd scale Siemens-Schuckert D.III.
As the last three models I've built were resin and needed more than a little 'correction', I thought I'd get back to styrene for this one.
That said I am aware this kit will also need some attention, so I've noted observations from the previous builds of 'Lance', 'IWIK' and our own 'Des', in addition to those noted in the 'Pheon' decal booklet.

This model represents the early version of the Siemens Schuckert D.III (Serial number between 8340/17 and 8359/17), as flown by Ltn. Joachim von Ziegesar when serving with Jasta 15 during May, 1918.  

pageheader1.jpg 

pilotZiegesar.jpg 

plane1.jpg 

Aftermarket consists of:
‘Aviattic’ linen effect Lozenge decals -ATT32108, ATT32109, ATT32013,  ATT32073 and ATT32075.
'Aviattic' Wood grain dark (ATT32235).
'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes (ATTETCH001).
‘Pheon’ 32023 decals - Siemens Schuckert D.III Markings.
‘Brengun’ photo-etch Siemens Schuckert D.III (BRL32014).
‘Gaspatch’ 1/32 Spandau 08/15 Extended loading Handle (Late) machine guns.
'HGW' Models' seat belts (32006).
'Loon Models' resin conversion (LO32006)
Hopefully, if Alex comes up good - 'ProperPlane' wood laminated four bladed propeller.

One day I will build something 'OOB',

Mike

Edited by sandbagger
updated details for build

Hi all,
I've started this model with working on the engine.
My original intention was to replace the kit supplied engine with the excellent resin engine from 'Aviattic'.
However, as I started to build that engine I decided that it was too good to be hidden under an engine cowl, even though the engine cowl on this aircraft exposed more of the engine than most rotary powered aircraft.
Therefore I've built the kit supplied engine, but with one modification, namely replacing the oversized valve push rods.

To do this the push rods were cut away from the engine front casing, which was the cemented onto the engine.
I then drilled 0.6 mm diameter holes into the outer edge of the housing, making sure the pairs of holes were drilled staggered at an angle, as with the actual engine.
Each push rod was made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube, which was bent at one end then flattened to represent the valve operating levers.
A sleeve of 0.6 mm diameter brass tube was cut and slid onto the rod. This is to represent the end fitting at the bottom of the push rod.
Each rod was then secured in position using CA adhesive.

The end result is not as good as the 'Aviattic' engine would be, but hoefully is an improvement on the original kit engine.

Mike

eng7.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've amended the first post in this thread.
The aircraft I had intended to build was the later D.III version, but that model has been built by quite a few modellers.
So I decided to change to an 'early' D.III, which is a less common build and take up the challenge of incorporating the 'Loon Models' resin conversion.
This will entail replacing the engine cowl and support frame, tail plane/elevator assembly, propeller spinner, wing tips and ailerons.

Lets see how 'easy' this will be,

Mike 

Hi all,
The engine is finished now.
The only changes I made (not that you'll see much once installed):
Valve push rods made from 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube with 0.5 mm bases.
Ignition leads from 0.148 mm diameter black mono-filament.
Ignition lead plate at engine rear from 0.5 mm thick plastic card.

Mike

engdone1.jpg

engdone2.jpg

Hi all,
Onto the resin conversion set from 'Loon Models' (LO32006) for the early D.III aircraft.
The resin engine cowl is well formed but is so thin in places I can virtually see through it.
Also when offered up to the kit engine bulkhead, the resin cowl outer diameter is undersized, which leaves a step between it and the bulkhead.
As the resin cowl is way to fragile to contemplate modifying it, I chose instead to modify the bulkhead and fuselage halves.
The outer edge of the bulkhead was sanded to match the cowl.
The forward inside ends of the fuselage were scrapped to form a shoulder for the bulkhead to locate.
The end result is the fuselage. bulkhead and resin cowl now align.

cowl1.jpg

cowl2.jpg

cowl3.jpg

The next step is to create the cooling slots and apertures in the bottom of the cowl (good thing the set has two cowls!!)
The early production SSW D.III aircraft were fitted with a full, circular cowl around the engine. In addition the propeller was fitted with a large domed spinner. These combined with poor engine lubrication, caused by the use of synthetic ‘Voltol’ oil, caused many engine failures. In an attempt to increase cooling airflow across the engine, some engine cowls had two oval apertures and three slots cut through the bottom/sides of the cowl. Although I could not find photographic evidence of this for the Jasta 15 aircraft of ’Ziegesar’, there is a photograph of the aircraft of Lt.d.R. Alfred Greven of Jasta 12, which clearly shows one of the cooling apertures.

Should be fun,

Mike

cowlcut1.jpg

cowlslots.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I marked the six cooling slots then drilled lines of 0.4 mm diameter holes, followed up with a 0.6 mm diameter drill.
Then using a thin scraper, cut between the holes to form a slit.
Lastly I open out the six cooling slots using a straight edged scalpel blade.
The two cooling holes were created the same way and finally shaped using a round needle file.
To make it easier to handle and to stop the fragile cowl from flexing, I taped the kit engine bulkhead onto the cowl.
The cooling slots should be just three across the bottom of the cowl, but doing that made the cowl way too fragile, so I left resin between the cooling slots for strength. 

Now it's onto the resin support frame,

Mike

cowlcut2.jpg

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
Based on other modellers reviews I expected problems with the 'Loon Models' engine support frame, and it didn't disappoint.
The four struts supplied are intended to fit over the front support ring and be long enough to reach the engine bulkhead.
But if you follow the instructions, the struts are too short and don't reach the bulkhead.
Also it's difficult to fit these four struts in their correct positions on the support ring such that they can fit through the cylinders to reach the engine bulkhead.

In the end I located the support ring inside the engine cowl, then fitted the four struts inside the cowl, with the front end contacting the support ring and the other flared ends at the cowl rear edge.
The four struts were then scrapped to reduce their thickness and allow the engine to locate fully into the cowl and support ring.

Now onto modifying the wing tips and ailerons,

Mike

cowlcut3.jpg

cowlcut4.jpg

Hi all,
A bit more progress preparing various parts.
The fuselage halves have bee scraped and sanded to:
Reduce the depth of the panel lines.
Forward side access panel removed for photo-etch replacements.
Air scoops opened up.
Forward vertical panel line removed.
Step at forward panel removed.

The resin spinner has been sorted to fit the kit propeller and spinner back plate. 
Both wings have had their wing tips removed and re[laced by the resin early wing tips (pinned to wings).
All four ailerons replaced with resin ailerons (pinned to wings).

I'm now modifying the pilot and ground crew 'grab' handles,

Mike  

panels.jpg

loonspinner3.jpg

bottomtipaileron.jpg

bottomtipaileron2.jpg

Hi all,
I've separated the resin elevator from the tail plane and added 0.4 mm rods, to enable the elevator to be animated.
The pilot's and ground crew grab handles were drilled out, reshaped then 0.85 mm styrene rectangular rod added to correct the open shape and correctly locate the handles (which were actually a fuselage longeron).
The forward decking panel was hinged at both sides by continuous hinges located under the cooling jackets for the two machine guns. 
These are not moulded on the kit part so have been represented by using 'Aviattic' photo-etch rib tapes.

Mike

loontail2.jpg

grabs2.jpg

deckinghinge2.jpg