Roden PT-17 Stearman

JimRice

Starting assembly...getting everything fit and jig aligned.  Nothing is glued yet here.  

After this photo, I set the lower wing.  There is only 1.5° dihedral on lower wing which looks almost flat.  Finally settled on TLAR...that looks about right based on rigging diagram and photos.  Mostly I was concerned each wingtip was same height from surface.  

79uDJq.jpg

Only update is the wing & strut geometry is proving extremely difficult, even with a jig.  My lower wing ended up being off slightly with too much dihedral causing center section cabane struts falling short.  Fortunately, lowers were only tacked in place so this wasn't a major issue.  Unlike the 1/48 Revell or the 1/32 Hasegawa F4B4 and P-12E kits which is engineered with the cabane struts molded into the fuselage halves (Revell) or an upper fuselage cap with struts molded (Hasegawa) which align and trues upper wing attachment first, everything else falls into place and is square and true, there is nothing engineered into this kit to help with alignment.  I've built a number of bipes over the years and this one is proving a good challenge.

I have a second, more substantial biplane jig which may be more up to the task.  I just haven't assembled it yet.  I suppose that will be today's task...once I get get done hanging new blinds, curtains and pictures in three upstairs bedroom for SWMBO.  I'm the king of my castle...in my garage workshop.

I'm now really interested to see how ICM will engineer their kit and if it will be any easier without needing four hands in addition to the jig.

1eQXT4.jpg
64j7Nx.jpg

I’m committed now. After fiddling with wing, fuselage and strut alignment, modifying my jig to allow adjustment of the angle of incidence between wing and long axis of fuselage and adjustment of lower wing dihedral, I was never quite getting everything exactly line up exactly.   So, I decided on a different tack.  As best I could, I squared and trued wing to fuselage, locked everything down in the jig and glued in both cabana struts.  Leaving the fuselage and upper wing locked down in he jig, I freed the lower wings. They were free to flex slightly.  I lightly fitted the end struts and they were close.  I believe with some gentle persuasion and super glue, I’ll be able to get everything in place with everything fairly well aligned.  Maybe.  

At that point, I called it a night and left everything in the jig to cure overnight.  Reviewing this week’s challenges and hurdles with this build, I’m left with two thoughts.  

1-I think we’ve hung the wings and rigged a real Stearman in less time than I’ve tried getting this one done.  

2-I’m glad no one, especially me, won’t be trying to fly this model.  I’m sure it would be a poorly rigged and sorry flying Stearman.  

Also, some asked about the landing gear strength somewhere.  I  broke one of the landing gear axles tonight working on it.  Had to drill out with 1/16" bit, insert a piece of hard steel wire from a large paper clip into the gear leg and a piece of 3/32" brass tubing into the wheel hub.  The legs seems sufficient, but the oleo strut and axle are quite small and fragile.  I'm thinking I will go ahead and pin the other side as well.  Considering drilling the small oleo strut/axle assembly where it inserts into gear leg/fairing which is fairly thick and pinning it as well, as it is quite thing and fragile and will be prone to breaking easily once finished.

QgZZuR.jpg

Edited by JimRice
Fixed photo error and added content.

Did you end up with no dihedral at all? Sounds like the designers might have rushed this one. I appreciate you sharing this information for those of us who will build this kit.

Okay, here is the end result of mounting the wings and struts.  Whew!  It was a fight.  The bigger heavier jig helped.  I still had problems and with all but one N strut mounted, I had to pull it all apart and start over.  I ended up removing the mounting pins on lower ends of cabane struts so they would seat.  With everything all said and done, the lower rear N strut attachment points came up short about 1.5-2.0mm too short.  You will be able to see in photos a short piece of rod I added to reach.  This fairly realistic to how the rear lower N struts attache to the real airplane.  This is part of the paint touch up needed along with some detail repaint.   I expect this will be an average, for me, model when done, I hope.

The leaning is photos, especially those on turn-table is the platform, not the model.  I'll likely adjust and leans with the landing gear at the end.  I hope I can get it pretty close to level.

Unplanned, but the Stearman has already had some weather simply from extensive handling during this process.  I had to do some touch up paint and will have to go back and finish it tomorrow.  Not that this one was ever meant to be a show piece, but this one has a few bumps and bruises.

I'm glad this part is behind me.  I have a few more items before beginning to rig.  I won't likely attach landing gear lowers, rudder, elevators/horizontal stabilizer, engine, etc until very end after rigging and decals.

On the upside, I'm enjoying my new to me Iwata HP-C airbrush.  The gravity feed is awesome and does great work and is easy to use.

Here are a bunch of photos.

KuOSc8.jpg

DwPMGS.jpg
QC1DSH.jpg
jik4IQ.jpg
J4b2YQ.jpg
bHIhnu.jpg
uL7ha4.jpg
Ct1V04.jpg
SiCwmj.jpg
8Kr47s.jpg
QCsN59.jpg
Gk7swh.jpg

Hello, 

I am new to modeling and this plane  the Roden Boeing-Stearman PT-17 is my first Biplane.  Have to admit I am a little nervous but that being said I already have three wing nut kits waiting. Nothing like jumping in with both feet and blind folded. 
happy to be here 

Bill

On 5/29/2020 at 10:18 PM, AlbertD said:

Did you end up with no dihedral at all? Sounds like the designers might have rushed this one. I appreciate you sharing this information for those of us who will build this kit.

Ironically, it ended up about where I had it originally.   I believe a jig is essential, even a simple one will work.  On my next one, I will mount the upper wing and cabane struts before even attempting to mount lower wings.  Using a jig, keep upper wind level and inverted And fixed in place.  Next position fuselage and above wing, also inverted.   Ensure fuselage is level side-to-side and centered over upper wing. Fix into position and fit cabane struts.  The struts should set the angle of the wing to fuselage and position fire and aft.  Once that is done and glue is well cured, still inverted, mount lower wings using N struts to locate proper position.  

I believe that sequence will improve alignment and allow a bit more adjustment via lower wing and everything should fit properly.  Unfortunately, the simplified symbols provided little to no guidance on order of assembly of wings and struts that I could decipher.  Everything was one one large exploded view for this step. 

Continuing to add details.  Got it setting on its gear today, minus tailwheel.  Still need to add scissors but they still need paint and clean up.  Control surfaces fit and tape into place.  Engine stuck in place but not glued and of course, prop not yet painted.   

I keep this up, I’ll have to start rigging it soon.  While waiting on some touch up paint to dry the other day, I dusted off the Hasegawa Boeing F4B-4 that has been sitting unfinished for many years.  I began it in 2002 while still living in San Antonio and rehabbing from injuries.   It is ready for decals.  The original kit decals are unusable and I lost my Yellow Wings decals so I ordered more yesterday.   

I may soon have two newly finished models for display.  Stay tuned!

qdJOk2.jpg

gye1pp.jpg

K3Syh0.jpg