Roden PT-17 Stearman

JimRice

I received my Roden PT-17 Stearman kits (2) from Ukraine last week and started work over the weekend.  I began with the upper and lower wings, which was very straight forward.  While the engine is the next item in the instructions, I chose to skip over it to the fuselage which is largest sub-assembly containing the most parts.  Also, with the molded in fuselage stringers, which give the fuselage it's shape on the real bird, required some time and effort to mask and paint.  Last night, I closed up the fuselage and test fit the accessory cowlling between firewall and engine.  I'm ready to begin the exterior painting.  I will be modeling this on my dad's old duster as it would have looked in 1940 when first built and put in service.

I decided to postpone the engine build until I was ready to being painting.  This will give me something to work on while paint is drying...and keep me busy long enough to keep from smudging the fresh paint.  I hope. :)

Here is a link to my Stearman album of planes my dad and I restored in the late-70s/early 80s.  Lots of good detail photos for anyone interested.

https://imageshack.com/a/Vmqd7/1

h51Vrb.jpg
fgiPlG.jpg
Lm2DAh.jpg
7Jq9Vg.jpg
CiwtIo.jpg
G9vVo5.jpg
Sqgnsn.jpg
D1hoyf.jpg
hEhk4f.jpg
H3nNEO.jpg
xipptJ.jpg
KFQHBu.jpg
Lk229Z.jpg
w9ZGnG.jpg
sggbAB.jpg

F6FlEw.jpg
DZ4SnD.jpg
AKVhWV.jpg
x9zyl8.jpg
EWIa6K.jpg
4lVXz3.jpg

Edited by JimRice

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very cool!  I really am liking this kit the more I look at it.   How would you rate the overall fit/buildability of the kit so far?

The cockpit sub-assembly has several tiny pieces and it can get a bit fiddly and has, so far, been the longest part of the build.  I ended up using a metal and magnetic jig to align and glue up the frame structure.  Few or tiny alignment pins/holes so lots of eyeballing for alignment.  Otherwise, the the fit has been very good, especially where the inner portion of the landing gear, belly and wings meet with several converging lines.  Only filler will be where fabric belly meets the metal panel just behind landing gear.  There is a small gap that I'm thinking stretched sprue will be easiest fix. 

I find the level of detail pretty good, but I could go to extremes super detailing it, but want to build this one pretty straight forward to get a good feel for it.  Given my intimate familiarity through three Stearman ground up restorations with my dad, I'm seeing so many details I could add, including open cowling both ahead and behind the firewall.  I making mental notes and forming ideas for a super detailed project down the road, likely of a generic R-985 powered ag plane.  The beautiful blank kit firewall is a perfect canvas to begin such a conversion.  Since most dusters had no cowling ahead of the firewall, everything is exposed.  Lots of ideas rolling around but it will require a bunch of planning.

I'm looking forward to the ICM version to build and compare.  If it is a good as many seem to think it will be based on other recent ICM releases, it will be a sweet kit as I'm really digging this one.  When I finish this one as a 1940 era Army PT-17 with stolen prop from Silver Wings metal McCauley prop, I plan on building the Silver Wings example as Navy N2S-2 with wood prop.  Hopefully by the time that happens, the ICM will be hitting the street.

4 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Nice build so far.  I like what you've done with the molded in stringers.  How strong are those undercarriage legs??

Cheers,

Michael

Once the inner and outer leg halves are joined, it seems sufficiently strong.  The legs themselves insert into the leg fairings just where oleo inserts info gear lets on real thing.  It is a nice fit and once glued up should be okay.  There may be room to drill and install brass or aluminum rod up into the legs further up if it seem wobbly.  Not sure though as the legs aren't terribly think as you have notices.

3 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Wow, look at you go! 

This kit has been out now for what... ten minutes?:lol:

I've loved Stearmans since I was a kid.  I've longed for a 1/32 Stearman kit since about 1978 when Scale Model reported Hasegawa was considering one. !  I had to jump on this one...I have several more variants I want to build.  This could be my newest addiction.  My last couple of projects were an old Lindberg 1/48 Ag conversion and a Revell 1/48 PT-17...finished through paint and just needs rigging and decals, which got pushed to the back of the hangar to make room for the Roden job.  This beauty of a 1/32 Stearman was just too much to wait any longer.

15 hours ago, AlbertD said:

Great start. It's nice to see one started already. It looks like the prop from the old Hasagawa F4B-4 kit might be a good fit for a metal prop. 

Concur on F4B4 prop.  I actually have one on the bench (making slow progress)  and had already sized up its prop.  It would be pretty easy to trim it down a bit to fit well.  Now I just need to scrounge one up.

5 hours ago, JimRice said:

Concur on F4B4 prop.  I actually have one on the bench (making slow progress)  and had already sized up its prop.  It would be pretty easy to trim it down a bit to fit well.  Now I just need to scrounge one up.

What all needs to be done to the F4B4 prop to make it accurate for the Stearman?

41 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

What all needs to be done to the F4B4 prop to make it accurate for the Stearman?

It would need shortened a bit and blade chord narrowed a bit to represent the metal McCauley.  There is a Hamilton Starndard ground adjustable, like on F4B-4 which is approved for Stearman, but few, if any were used on Stearman in military service.  I personally like the looks of the H/S better.

Here are several potential props I've gleaned from different kits which could be used, some with more work than others.

L-R: William Brothers from GeeBee Z which appears to be a Curtis fixed pitch metal prop.  Need to check the WB Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk, but expect it is identical
        Roden kit Sensenich wood prop

Silver WingsSensenich wood prop

Hasegawa P-26 Hamilton Standard metal prop

Silver Wings PT-13D McCauley metal prop.  Blades not glued, just placed in hub for photo following quick clean up.  Resin has a few pin holes and flask

po7OOY5zj

I also ran across this in the GeeBee Model Z I put away long ago when it came time to paint...   I'm thinking the Silhouette Cameo 4 might be the ticket for these type paint jobs on GeeBee s and Pitts Specials...both of which I have ready for paint.   Anyway, back to this, the Williams Brothers P&W Wasp Junior engine is almost complete.  Just needs a few pushrod tubes and a prop governor added at the 12:30-1:00 on nose case added.   It will be used to represent a R-985 on a Stearman duster.  The kit has two different diameter engine cowls which could be adapted to airshow Stearmans too.  So many choicess

poTNFSNlj

The plot thickens.  Williams Brother F9C has nicely done ground adjustable Ham STD prop.  The WB Hall Bulldog has a HS constant speed prop which will be great for 450hp airshow and afternoon planes.  

I may have to learn to cast props else a few kits will be minus props when I go to build.  

1 minute ago, JimRice said:

I may have to learn to cast props else a few kits will be minus props when I go to build.  

As far as the F4B-4 and P-26 props go the Hasagawa kits are pretty easy to get on ebay. I'm building the F4-B right now and have the P-26 in the stash. I may sacrifice the P-26 prop for the Stearman and just pick up another kit. I'll be satisfied to trim it to length and shape and call it good.

Shot paint today...after cleaning up my workspace.  Failed to mask vertical stabilizer after priming and before shooting blue.  May reprime over blue to get good even color match to other yellow.

Need to change my air filter on paint booth too.   

8BNXBd.jpg

Edited by JimRice
Word choice