After all these years?!

MOJO

After all this time I see Trumpeter has got their 1/32 P-40E out. I'm surprised no one has said something about it yet. To me it looks like it should of stayed in the oven some more until it was done well. Looks like the flat cockpit floor and no open engine compartment(what I was hoping for).

Now on "The Modeling News"

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2020/05/trumpeters-four-new-kits-of-may-in.html#more

I've had various issues with both myself.  I've seen some pretty out of register Trumpy decals, and some Has decals that tended to break up on me. Generally I almost never go with OOB decals unless its the only scheme (rare) or I'm dong a commission. 

53 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I think pretty much everyone knew what to expect after they released the P-40F boxing, which was discussed here.

Exactly.

3 hours ago, MOJO said:

Trumpeter has got their 1/32 P-40E out.

In case you missed the Trumpeter P-40F discussion, the canopy has rounded sides which makes the whole upper fuselage look like a clown's balloon toy. The nose shapes and lines are off, too. All of that was duplicated on Trumpeter's P-40E and N kits. And yes: The cockpit is ridiculously shallow just like their P-40B. 

In short, there isn't much discussion about it because the kit really isn't worth posting more than a few lines. 

The ancient Revell P-40E kit is far more accurate that Trumpeter's failed effort. The Hasegawa P-40E remains the best of all of them Not sure why decals would be an issue with numerous aftermarket sheets and masks available. 

D

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

What’s wrong with Hasegawa decals, other than their white usually being a cream yellow?  There are some pretty poor Trumpeter decals too.

So far, I've had pretty bad luck with Hase decals - too thick and, like Brian said, tend to break up easily. However, that is not consistent. They sometimes seem to be fine. It's the inconsistency that turns me off. I have actually never used Trumpy decals, so I don't know what they are like.

Biggest problem with the Hasegawa kit has to be availability.  They seem to do a run of 50, then they disappear into the ether for another few years.  And the N version might be rarer than a desert polar bear.

Matt 

16 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Biggest problem with the Hasegawa kit has to be availability.  They seem to do a run of 50, then they disappear into the ether for another few years.  And the N version might be rarer than a desert polar bear.

Matt 

the Hasegawa P-40E is in stock at Sprue Brothers. 

21 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I've had various issues with both myself.  I've seen some pretty out of register Trumpy decals, and some Has decals that tended to break up on me. Generally I almost never go with OOB decals unless its the only scheme (rare) or I'm dong a commission. 

Lately, I am tuning into the fact that most kit included decals are unacceptable for various reasons.

And I'm talking over a variety of manufacturers, scales, and genres. 

It's easily one of the weaker aspects of the hobby now, whereas quality of molding and the elimination of flash (for example) is now quite good across the hobby.

in re FLASH:

Y'know, I kinda miss the flash. Since I started building models in 1942 I started into plastic kits as soon as they appeared on the scene .

My uncle in Long Island, New York, used to send me a bunch of the kits every  now and then. I enjoyed removing the flash. Still do.

My dad bought me the flying models, kits, engines, fuel, tools, etc. and drove me to the flying field on Sundays and to the club meets.

No, dad never helped with the building of the kits. He had no talent in that direction. Mom helped by overseeing my handiness with the double edge razor blades. I never drew blood.

Excuse my trip into nostalgia land. :wub:

Stephen