ZM SWS P-51D Red Dog XII

repeater

Hi all, 

I'm plugging away at the more tedious parts of the build..  filling, sanding, etc 

49911911891_50875d76db_k.jpg

This area below is an issue (where the wing fillet meets the fuselage).. and it will need more work. 

The tail-fuselage join will also need some correction.. fixing the  joins, etc.  I used drops of CA glue to replicate the fasteners on the wing fillet.  I'll see how this looks under a coat of paint. 

49911913136_43e62841e1_k.jpg

My plan is to display the engine bay, so the cowling won't be glued in place.  It will however act as a handy mask for painting. 

49911397373_36c0c555dc_k.jpg

On the underside, construction is fairly straightforward.. not too many joins to worry about

49911913831_5da2452c4b_k.jpg

Thanks for watching.   Tim 

Hi all, 

Painting is done!  

Tackled in this way 

• no base coat. instead, I polished the fuselage plastic to a smooth glossy finish with tamiya polishing compound. 

• the fuselage was painted with Mr Color SM01 Super Fine Silver.   This paint sprayed easily and evenly.. i applied 2 coats 

• a few of the fuselage panels were painted in a darker shade of SM01  (darkened with a SM04 stainless steel). 

• wings were painted with Mr Color C8 Silver with few drop of gray, to simulate the silver painted wings 

• I've left the wings as ZM moulded them... ie. panel lines YES,  rivets NO 

• red nose and tail are Tamiya flat red (acrylic).. and then a clear gloss.. because that's what I had available .. :) 

50037057772_7eeeebff9a_k.jpg

Painting was relatively straightforward.   Next time I'll probably polish the wings too.. the plastic is very very slightly pebbly. 

50037064317_9fa9a7cfdd_k.jpg

50036813646_7ec4e26048_k.jpg

50036258728_de335236fa_k.jpg

Thanks for checking in.  All comments are welcome.

Tim 

• 8 months later...