Robert Taylor lithographs.

Not sure this goes into the Aviation Discussion topic here or not?   Moderators please let me know if this should go elsewhere. Thanks.    

Ive been collecting iconic lithographs by (in my opinion) the best aviation artist,  Robert Taylor for the better part of almost 40 years.  Yikes!  

I was recently in Memphis TN visiting my eldest son.  I was so excited to be out of lock down in California and my wife rented an SUV and shot out of CA and did a cross country road trip to Tennessee.  The topography of the USA traveling cross country for the wife and I is therapeutic   Yes, I did my social distancing throughout and also in Collierville, TN at an indoor antique mall, called Sheffield.   I’m walking the aisles of this huge indoor mall enjoying all things collected by people that think they are valuable / willing to sell to others.  No issues whatsoever for us.    I enjoy doing this with my wife.  

The military items are what I enjoy the most in this indoor mall.  I managed to purchase an original Spitfire MK-IX spinner at this place back in 2016.  Why?  Because it’s an original Spitfire Mk-IX spinner!   

I was almost finished walking inside this huge mall when I spotted a first released Robert Taylor lithograph of the B-17F, Memphis Bell.  Dirt cheap.   Hmmmmm. I had to have it.   Framed in great shape but with an awful matting.  Well, I’m now the proud owner of this signed print but not sure if i’ll sell it or keep it.      

Good times and finds out of coved-19 lock down!  No direction here but I’m so tired of the mandatory lock down in SoCal.   

Cheers,

I have several aviation and armor prints; unfortunately none of them are Robert Taylor ones.  My two favorite aviation prints are Jerry Crandell's "The Blond Knight" and Heinz Krepb's "Out for Trouble".  Both are signed by the artists, as well as several pilots, "The Blond Knight" is signed by Eric Hartmann; who I had the pleasure to meet and talk to about 18 months before his untimely passing.

I had the pleasure of meeting several aces while attending Oshkosh.   Gunter Rall on a couple occasions.   Yeager, Boyington, Gabby Gabreski, Adolph Galland, Bud Anderson.  Robin Olds signed the Yeager P-51 Mustang print I purchased.   I went to see Robert Stanford Tuck but he passed away before the event and Galland took his place.  Galland signed a Taylor Lithograph called Dawn Scrabble which Tuck also signed.   I finally met Robert Taylor at a book signing event with several Mustang aces up in Ojai, California.   Great memories, great conversations.  

17 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

I had the pleasure of meeting several aces while attending Oshkosh.   Gunter Rall on a couple occasions.   Yeager, Boyington, Gabby Gabreski, Adolph Galland, Bud Anderson.  Robin Olds signed the Yeager P-51 Mustang print I purchased.   I went to see Robert Stanford Tuck but he passed away before the event and Galland took his place.  Galland signed a Taylor Lithograph called Dawn Scrabble which Tuck also signed.   I finally met Robert Taylor at a book signing event with several Mustang aces up in Ojai, California.   Great memories, great conversations.  

Now, that’s quality namedropping. What an amazing bunch of people to have the chance to speak with. What an experience that must have been.

2 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Hi Troy, I would have liked to meet and talk to those American and British aces; unfortunately I never got the chance.  I have met and talked with both Galland and Rall - Rall a few times - when they were alive.  It would be really nice to meet Robert Taylor as well.  Though they don't get as much press as the day fighters, I have had the great privilege to meet and talk with many of the night fighter aces; and several of the not so well known pilots and aircrew as well.  My grandfather's youngest brother was a radio/radar operator on a night fighter and he set me up to meet several of the gentlemen that I did.  great experiences and memories all around.  Sadly the are all gone now.

Ernest 

I recall my Gf now my wife of 33 years buying some unnumbered lithographs back in the mid to late 80’s for me as birthday or holiday presents,  Once I was out making money on my own she would let me purchase some signed lithographs (always Robert Taylor) for a weekend of over time paying for them as a young mechanic working for a major US Airline.   The JG-52 Bf 109E’s is a classic print.  Yeager also had a great signed print however with some issues in signing some of the P-51 Mustangs prints with lawsuits pertaining to his namesake.   The Bader bus company is another favorite print I have.   I love them all.  The Memphis Bell however is for sale!   Let me know if you might be interested.  Lol

I do have one print here (actually have had if for years now) that I really want to eventually see framed, a 3' long montage of images of one of the D-Day landing beaches (perhaps Utah?), that would look just killer hanging on the wall.

The master is Frank Wootton in my humble opinion. I’m lucky enough to have been given one of his limited edition prints of the Dambusters raid, signed by Frank, some of the Dambuster crew members and some of the then current 617 squadron crews. 

I Absolutely love Robert Taylor’s artwork. I have quite a few of his prints as well as other aviation artists. Unfortunately haven’t purchased and in the past 10 years due to the usual marriage and children. Thankful to have an understanding wife who has hung many of them in our living room/family room. The majority of them hang in the man cave which is fine with me!