RAF Phantom ID

Do any Phantom Phans have any thoughts on this example?

It's XT914 which served with 228 OCU from delivery until the late '70s but the national marking style is late '60s.

Looks like it could be some connection to 6 Sqn with perhaps an early adaptation of the Gunner's Stripes to the roundel flanking position style many squadrons used, possibly just for the photo op.

It'd be easier to tell if it was in coloiur, but the bars could be light blue and purple..

I've looked through Richard Wards Brit Phantoms book, but not my Double Ugly which is inaccessible at present. Ideas/observations welcome.

dfqzew5wsaad1s5.jpg?w=830

Definitely flying can openers, as per (pale blue?) logo on the fin. That would suggest the No.6 Sqn light blue sash with red or crimson piping — looks the same shade as the red in the roundel.

Great photo which appears to be a one-off from ca.1970 — I do wonder if the markings were temporary and applied to the r/h side only. The operational livery was a red and white can opener on the nose barrel and pale blue/crimson strip on the fin. 

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
edit

I have a photo dated June '69 with a day-glo flying can opener on the fin - I wonder if that would account for the lighter tone visible?

Perhaps a squadron mustering photo with the original complement of officers.

Although it became common later, apart from 43 Sqn at Leuchars, none of the early Coningsby based units used the roundel bars style.

228 OCU, 6 Sqn and 54 all used nose or tail presentations.

I had a look in the Double Ugly book, and the earliest 6 Sqn aircraft photo has the zigzag marking at the top of the tail, and the can opener symbol in a white disc with red surround on the nose. 

19 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I had a look in the Double Ugly book, and the earliest 6 Sqn aircraft photo has the zigzag marking at the top of the tail, and the can opener symbol in a white disc with red surround on the nose. 

It's possible that a very high res version of the photo would show a 'Blue Peter' sticky-back appliqué put on a new delivery for a Coningsby publicity shot, and the design was changed by the time No.6 Sqn received any FGR.2s of its own with real paint. 

Am praying that the Hong Kong Models FG.1/FGR.2 is progressing further towards release. 

Tony 

On 5/19/2020 at 3:56 PM, Ossington 1 said:

Guessing from what I presume is the "last three" on the fin makes it XT914. It was at Coningsby, (likely with the Type J hangar) was it ever on 6?

No.  Officially it was with 228 OCU until the late 70s, well after 6 was on Jaguars.