Spitfire Mk 1 - the best route

scimitarf1

7 minutes ago, Chek said:

Iain 32SIG and Derek B both had a good crack at eliminating some of the most egregious features of the Revell kit in their works in progress builds (primarily its bloated look) when the kit came out in (yikes) 2014. 

It's a shame one build has no images, and the other has been blighted by Photobucket. They look really useful

Richard

9 minutes ago, Chek said:

Iain 32SIG and Derek B both had a good crack at eliminating some of the most egregious features of the Revell kit in their works in progress builds (primarily its bloated look) when the kit came out in (yikes) 2014. 

Yeah, not too happy about PB holding my images to ransom. I will resurrect this build at some point, so the research will continue! (the intention is to make it look comparable to the Tamiya kit once completed).

Derek

42 minutes ago, RLWP said:

It's a shame one build has no images, and the other has been blighted by Photobucket. They look really useful

Richard

OK sorry about that.

Luckily I saved the pages so I've zipped them and uploaded separate zips to File Factory.

They're on a free account so will only be there for 30 days.

Free accounts only have the slow download option available, unless you have your own premium one.

Ian's build (38.7 MB)

Derek's build (27.6 MB)

*addendum: May I add that if you see a webpage that you think you may want to refer back to at some point in the future, then save the complete page.

There have been too many past occasions where either pictures are no longer hosted, or the site itself reorganises and the link becomes useless.

In the days of small hard drives, bookmarking was a reasonable option, but for the reasons stated above it's better to ensure you have access to the information when you want it, and disk storage is cheap now.

One thing to watch out for is in multi-page articles that YOU number the article's pages correctly.

Often the latest page number will impose itself on all previous pages on commonly used php webpages.

Edited by Chek

11 minutes ago, Chek said:

OK sorry about that.

Luckily I saved the pages so I've zipped them and uploaded separate zips to File Factory.

Free accounts only have the slow download option available, unless you have your own premium one.

Ian's build (38.7 MB)

Derek's build (27.6 MB)

Awesome! Thanks Chek! :) :clap2::thumbsup:

Derek

Seconded!

The images in my build went AWOL when I closed my old website I'm afraid. I *must* still have the originals somewhere.

If there's interest I could put together a feature article for the website?

Have to admit - I did get a little worn out with the whole process - but the end result looked OK to my eyes.

I'd be absolutely delighted if Tamiya announced some early Spits - a boy can dream - but the Revell kit is relatively cheap and fairly widely available...

Iain

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

If there's interest I could put together a feature article for the website?

It would be good to have an article describing the shortcomings and fixes from someone who has trodden that path, Iain

No pressure from me though, I've enough models on the go at the moment - I'm not planning on starting another Spitfire

Richard

On 6/1/2020 at 9:18 AM, Chek said:

OK sorry about that.

Ian's build (38.7 MB)

Derek's build (27.6 MB)

*addendum: May I add that if you see a webpage that you think you may want to refer back to at some point in the future, then save the complete page.

There have been too many past occasions where either pictures are no longer hosted, or the site itself reorganises and the link becomes useless.

In the days of small hard drives, bookmarking was a reasonable option, but for the reasons stated above it's better to ensure you have access to the information when you want it, and disk storage is cheap now.

One thing to watch out for is in multi-page articles that YOU number the article's pages correctly.

Often the latest page number will impose itself on all previous pages on commonly used php webpages.

Hi Chek,

I down loaded the pages last night - thank you (I had forgotten where I had got up to on that build). If I can find a way to save the images without degrading them, I may resurrect the thread and replace the images with good ones in slow time?

Many thanks

Derek

14 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

I hope whoever at PB who decided to do that dies a slow, horrible, painful death.

I'll second that, I'm still finding old threads of mine that need their photos replacing, luckily I saved them all on my hard drive and have now transferred them to Imageshack.

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 2:11 PM, nmayhew said:

and if it's all in the quest for accuracy, the builder has forgotten that the MkI wheel wells and angle of landing gear are different from the universal wing...

...and he's left the flaps down, so he owes everyone a beer in the mess tonight!

There's a three part TV program on at the moment 'Battle of Britain 3 days that saved the nation', I noticed on one picture which shows P.O. William Hopkins in his MK1 that the fuselage along the Longerons has two rows of quite large snap head rivets that look very prominent compared to any MK1 I've seen before.

Graham