Spitfire Mk 1 - the best route

scimitarf1

4 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Those drawings are by Jun (aka Jumpei) Temma in Japan.  A very nice guy, totally self-taught in drafting.  

His drawings are very nice! His FM-2 drawings are what I am using for my conversion.

His blog has apparently moved, though. Have you any idea of his new site?

It is not 1/32nd but it is LSP - 1/24th Airfix Spitfire. As far as I know (and I am not an expert) is very accurate dimensionally with the correct surface rendering. Yes it needs help as an early 70's kit but the two most important (to me) things - dimensions and surface details are spot on. 

On 5/24/2020 at 11:59 PM, Pete Roberts said:

Derek, I think the scissors came in for later Marks, from around the VIII/IX on, and could be to the front or rear of the leg. The Mk VC's, for example, don't have these.

Hi Pete,

the referenced link is specifically for late Merlin engines Spitfires, however, the introduction date of the C type universal wings (and attendant modifications) is important, as I believe that the Mk.V was still in production at that time - many were also converted from earlier Spitfire marks.

One thing both Edgar and I agreed on is that despite a lifetime of studying the type (and Edgar researched deeper than many through original source material and modification documents), notwithstanding official modification introduction and release dates, exactly which appeared on what specific mark of aircraft and when did not always follow, so nothing can ever be taken for granted!

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Our own Iain the AeroNut worked his magic on the recent Revell kit, using mushroom head rivets where appropriate and it looks very nice indeed. There is enough aftermarket for the kit too, to bring it up to a decent standard.

Just my .02 worth

Edited by Brad-M
typo

Getting into detailed planning for this.

I plan on using the Tamiya Mk IX rear fuselage and tail surfaces as well as the cockpit structure. The windscreen, nose and wings etc will come from the Hasegawa Mk1.

I have the Eduard etch for the cockpit along with the Barracuda seat, door and detail bits along with the True Details wheels.

I plan on vac forming a canopy with the bulged top and flat sides. 
I also plan on cutting my own masks as I want to make a machine with a funky colour underneath (eau-de-nil ideally)

Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

13 hours ago, 19squadron said:

Well you get the codes in the Revell MklIa kit, probably the best that can be said about that kit.

Thanks - Based on the feedback here I have snaffled up an Old Revell kit from FleaBay, I already have the Tamiya Mk.IX and have placed an order to get the new Revell kit for the decals. 

I have a copy of the Bentley drawings. They are 1/24 scale. My plan is to scan them, scale to 1/32 and see what I find. 

Edited by Archimedes
Typo

8 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

We've done this one, in which Grumpy Unwin bagged four Huns (3x Bf109E and 1x Bf110) between 15 and 18 Sep 1940.  I could send you the vector art for the codes and serial to make your own masks for it...

Zn8V1f.png

Hi Jennings, I am long overdue a visit to your website! I'll be getting these from you and, if you are still doing the 1/32 BOAC Mosquito decals, a set of those too! The vector art would be much appreciated. Most kind of you.

Edited by Archimedes
Additional information.

13 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Thanks - Based on the feedback here I have snaffled up an Old Revell kit from FleaBay, I already have the Tamiya Mk.IX and have placed an order to get the new Revell kit for the decals. 

I have a copy of the Bentley drawings. They are 1/24 scale. My plan is to scan them, scale to 1/32 and see what I find. 

Iain 32SIG and Derek B both had a good crack at eliminating some of the most egregious features of the Revell kit in their works in progress builds (primarily its bloated look) when the kit came out in (yikes) 2014.