Revell Desert Rat P-51D

CANicoll

Eduard Update!  I received this message from Eduard Customer Support this morning for all you Revell Builders:

Thank you Chris, I have a message now that this particular part (CN:  Eduard Brassin P-51D Propeller for Revell, 632117) was really redesigned in the past. So we will sent the new bigger part.
The shipment will leave to your address within 7-10 days. Have a nice day and enjoy your build.
Have a nice day.

Petra Solcova
Eduard M.A.  customer support

I also received a message last night from Steve (Model Monkey) about his new resin exhausts since I have the old ones.  Guess what is also coming in the mail? Thank you Steve!!!

I'm glad to see companies like Eduard, Model Monkey and Spruebrothers, staying in business and having terrific customer support.  I don't know if Scale Model World in Telford will be a go this year or not, but I look forward to catching up with these companies to tell them how much I appreciate their support.

On 6/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Whats this then?    An IPMS judge offended by nudity on a model?   I thought all the virgins in our hobby were more relegated to Gundam models and such?  :lol:

Brian - Here is the 2020 Old Dominion Open Rules (Part A)

A. Inappropriate Entries
The Chief Judge will exclude/remove from competition any entry considered by Contest officials to be inappropriate or offensive to generally acknowledged standards of taste and acceptability.

The following are prohibited in competition and may not be placed on display at any IPMS event:

1. There shall be no depiction of excretory functions depicting any human being or animal.
2. There shall be no depiction of sadomasochistic activity, equipment, settings or situations, to any degree, regardless of whether there are figures in the model and regardless of whether any figures present in the model are clothed.
3. There shall be no depictions of explicit sexual conduct, bilateral or autoerotic, regardless of degree and regardless of the clothing-status of the participants that involves the touching of the breasts or genitals or other erogenous zones of any depicted figure.
4. There shall be no depiction of any nude human male or female figures where the genitalia of the figure are exposed where the clear intent of the same is to portray a sexual scene.

My P47 "Slick Chick" and P80B "Lady" were whacked at ODO.

36 minutes ago, Rick K said:

A. Inappropriate Entries
The Chief Judge will exclude/remove from competition any entry considered by Contest officials to be inappropriate or offensive to generally acknowledged standards of taste and acceptability.

The following are prohibited in competition and may not be placed on display at any IPMS event:

1. There shall be no depiction of excretory functions depicting any human being or animal.
2. There shall be no depiction of sadomasochistic activity, equipment, settings or situations, to any degree, regardless of whether there are figures in the model and regardless of whether any figures present in the model are clothed.
3. There shall be no depictions of explicit sexual conduct, bilateral or autoerotic, regardless of degree and regardless of the clothing-status of the participants that involves the touching of the breasts or genitals or other erogenous zones of any depicted figure.
4. There shall be no depiction of any nude human male or female figures where the genitalia of the figure are exposed where the clear intent of the same is to portray a sexual scene.

The problem is the ODO judge only looked at the first part of #4, and not the second part: where the clear intent of the same is to portray a sexual scene.  Nudity itself is not explicitly banned.  For Model Classic (and IPMS Nationals judging as well) we've had really good discussions about this rule and especially its application to historical nose art. 

The ODO judge would have bounced 'Passion Wagon' as well, but improperly. 

I did run into a judge at Nats who tried to disqualify aircraft with nude nose art by nitpicking on anything else he could find.  Took the other two of us judges a while to figure out what he was doing and why he was being so critical of THOSE specific aircraft.  We got him removed as a judge but we had to go back and rejudge an entire category. The thing is, he explicitly volunteered for THAT category, so it was like his mission to disqualify those specific entries.  Very disappointing.  That is the only other direct case I know of regarding nose art and judging that caused problems.

Our monthly meeting last month had nose art as the special category - no complaints from anyone.

Product teaser:

The Model Monkey exhausts arrived from Steve (THANK YOU AGAIN) in gray resin and they are beautiful.  I'm leaving tomorrow to see some family but when I get back looking forward to posting some pictures and of course, getting them painted up and installed.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my first trip since Feb to visit family, and while back up on work, took a few minutes this evening to check out those amazing Model Monkey exhausts and get the AMUR resin flaps attached (AGAIN).  I keep grabbing the wing, and the flaps, and they are not exactly attached THAT strongly...

Those exhausts are amazing - just look at the bolt detail on the exhausts.  These may be a little dusty in the photos.  I've already test fitted the exhausts through the shrouds.  I'm wondering how much paint I'm going to scrape off getting the exhausts through the shrouds.

cJuVV4.jpg

z43NP7.jpg

aV1x6F.jpg

Hopefully the flaps will stay attached this time, but the detail in the AMUR flaps captures the tin canning of the flaps perfectly.  

HucLp8.jpg

xE5i7g.jpg

Ok, that's it for now!

Chris

On 6/24/2020 at 2:03 PM, Rick K said:

A. Inappropriate Entries

I have a decal set for "Slick Chick", and I can sort of see why the judge may have reacted as he did, but as others have said, the "clear intent" in sub-para 4 is not there.  Anyway, when I do my P-47 it's going nowhere near a competition, so I'll carry on.

Meanwhile, back on topic, "Passion Wagon" looks to be coming along nicely Chris. 

• 6 months later...