1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

5 hours ago, Iain said:

Re. passing back to original designer - yes, probably, but I'm not expecting him to provide corrections to printed kits. Even if he did - with current postage times - I'd have things fixed before any replacements arrived.

No  I wasn't expecting him to provide replacement prints free of charge, but he might be able to correct the CAD for future prints, or even for his own use.

I mentioned the step at the base of the rudder earlier - that had to go - so out with a 10A scalpel blade again and this was removed.

48b427_3716070c651941e5be629855c007c48f~

48b427_047c504089cd4543ac2a8bf27a9ffe71~

Removal very straightforward - and we're left with more loose strands of ABS that I'll leave in situ as they'll provide a little extra strength as part of the next step.

Back soon.

Iain

A small Milliput 'dam' added at the rudder hinge end and the area subsequently filled with casting resin, after masking the sides and raising the tail so that the area was perfectly horizontal at the top and a meniscus of resin allowed to form before it started going off.

48b427_d5ea0e5f95bd46ae98420cf9b1dfe778~

This area will now be sanded back using my 'T' bar - so it's perfectly flat.

Just working out best positions to bond in some brass tube to act as mounts for the eventually to be replaced tailplanes...

Interior structure as printed - note the box structure for the tailplane:

48b427_76d2554089d444478dd2271ebe1c8c28~

More progress on cockpit section too - will take some photos tomorrow.

Night all!

Iain

Hi Anthony,

Thanks - already have that one - but, yes, the contours are quite complex - and we need better photos!

I'm going to proceed for time being with the rear fuselage section - fit tubular mountings and fill the voids with resin and make surfaces good - i.e. the fuselage contours.

Tailplanes can follow as and when...

Iain

47 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Is it me, or does this plane lack the horizontal part on the elevators?

Nothing on the elevators is horizontal...

The only perfectly horizontal section is the triangular fillet between the inner end of the elevator and the fuselage - abuts and aligns with the para drop guard fitted in that picture.

There's a photo somewhere in the folders that shows this section on the production line before tailplanes fitted.

Iain

12 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hi Antony,

Thanks - already have that one - but, yes, the contours are quite complex - and we need better photos!

I'm going to proceed for time being with the rear fuselage section - fit tubular mountings and fill the voids with resin and make surfaces good - i.e. the fuselage contours.

Tailplanes can follow as and when...

Iain

I will get in and arrange a visit to take more pics when the museum re-opens

Anything appreciated Anthony - it's such a hard part of the airframe to access!

My initial thoughts were to see if I could cut the horizontal triangle section (leaving the tail in situ as printed) and then 'blend' the root ahead of that - but that didn't work at all - and, because the dihedral starts from  the root as printed - it sets the tailplane too high on the fuselage.

The root extensions as moulded will have to go too - I think they're too thick and should have a slight downward curve on the original - but I do have a plan coming together in my head.

All fixable IMHO - we just need a few more details!  :)

Iain

I'm going to have a play with the clear sections provided in the kit - but I'll probably get some flat polystyrene sheet and superglue in place, before sanding flush and polishing.

Are those little Tic Tac clear containers still polystyrene I wonder?  :)

Iain