1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

I wasn’t sure about doing a review - but have decided to put one together Kev...

It’s as much a kit as any vacform/resin kit (if not more so compared to some) and Toshihiko is selling more prints via EBay if anyone else wants one.

Suspect there won’t be many more takers though - and it will turn out to be a very limited run...

Iain

Ok, I'll pop it in. No idea what we'll use for box art, though! Might have to quiz you for a few details too, if I don't find them first.

Kev

Good Idea Kev, 5 kits constitutes a limited run I guess!

I will take a look Iain and see what I have.  If not, I will go down and actually photograph the RNZAF Museums example...we're all going to need this info!

Cheers Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

3 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Well, where's the limit?

It looks less than 15 resin Buccaneers were released...!

As far as somebody is making more than one 'kit' and selling it, I think this deserves to be in the DB, don't you think so? 

Yes....

We are entering a new world of 'models to order' now aren't we

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Ok, I'll pop it in. No idea what we'll use for box art, though! Might have to quiz you for a few details too, if I don't find them first.

Kev

I can grab a photo of the box it came in - Suntory mineral water? ;)

Failing that the Wikimedia commons image of a real Andover that I’ve used at the beginning of the thread?

Iain

Hi Don,

They are wrong I'm afraid - because the tailplanes are high set - and with dihedral, there are very few photos that show this area.

In terms of reference photos - I'm sure he had his own, but we also put together a pretty large collection of reference photos - and technical manuals - that were shared with him during the design phase and I know he used these.

This is just a detail that was missed - it happens!

The giveaway is the view from the rear - look at the sections inboard of the elevators - angled on the print - level on the aeroplane:

2311-30.jpg

48b427_78f2cfa336214d1194e1fb29afe3d806~

Regards,

Iain

This evening I've been mostly drilling our extra windows in the fuselage cockpit section - and sanding back the surface.

Material is easy to work with - and I'm getting there.

One section I gave a thin wash of Plastic Weld to and that appears to have consolidated the surface nicely - and speeded up the process.

I'm going to fill all the panel lines - I have a plan for replicating the structure based on what I'd planned for the Connie, and have previously tested with other projects.

Not sure on filler yet - am tempted to go with Isopon P40 but will have an experiment.

Photos when I have some progress worth sharing - but started she is!  :)

Iain

Have started on the aft section too - as I won't be happy until I've sorted the tailplane roots...

As part of this I wanted to remove the lower rudder section - the bottom edge is printed as a separate surface to the adjoining section on the rear fuselage, so you only have to separate along the vertical hinge line with a fresh scalpel blade.

And that was faster to do than I thought because the inner section was hollow - so only had to cut in just over 1mm.

The structure behind that has web reinforcement - good!

And the lower rudder that I removed is hollow - all the way back to that fat trailing edge - so I have a cunning plan to make a lot thinner, very quickly - will advise.

If course - if this is repeated with the wings - it might just make thinning their trailing edges a lot quicker too...

I'm rapidly learning the properties of the material - and noting that a quick brush with Plastic Weld after every cut neatens things up nicely.

Photos when I can tomorrow - but quite fascinated with this!  :)

Iain

Iain,

When I was prepping my Pirate 3D printed fuselage I used Bondo Glazing and spot putty. I squeezed some on my fingertip and applied it, in a thin layer, over the whole part. When dry I sanded it down and have a very smooth surface. I have also considered brushing on Future floor wax as a surface prep as well, but haven't actually tried that one yet.

Dan 

Hi Dan,

Don't get Bondo over here - but suspect Isopon filler will do the same thing.

Re. Future - don't want to use anything that doesn't chemically bond with the plastic. Prints like this are slightly fibrous and anything that knits the surface together will help - hence using a slightly 'hot' automotive primer spray designed for use with ABS plastics.

I also use spray can 'Filler/Primer" - polishes up beautifully and takes scribing nicely...

Will see how it works out!  :)

Iain

On 5/17/2020 at 1:18 AM, LSP_Kevin said:

Kev

Sounds good Kev. Although perhaps 'extremely' limited edition/short run by normal IM kit convention, it still qualifies as a large scale kit it its own right amongst other similar resin/vacform kits - a brave new world perhaps? (as for box art, I guess that the first one to be completed would cover that, but in the interim, would it be possible to obtain permission to simply use a representative full size Andover aircraft image for now?).

Derek

Edited by Derek B