1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

9 hours ago, Derek B said:

So, you only line the outer edges of the transparency itself with the black marker? (It was actually this edge colour which have away the game - the fit and clarity of the part is perfection). One question; will the solvent used to secure the transparencies in place affect the edge colour? (I assume that you would have paint the remaining internal window strut edges black anyway?).

Hi Derek,

No - the edge colour not effected.

As it's an ink it dissolves a little - but dries neatly - and doesn't effect the strength of the bond.

I've also been known to use thin superglue applied in small amounts from the front with a cocktail stick, before sanding back and polishing - the superglue acting as a filler.

I'll decide at the time on best route - but happy I can make nice panes that actually fit!  :)

Iain

8 hours ago, Iain said:

Hi Derek,

No - the edge colour not effected.

As it's an ink it dissolves a little - but dries neatly - and doesn't effect the strength of the bond.

I've also been known to use thin superglue applied in small amounts from the front with a cocktail stick, before sanding back and polishing - the superglue acting as a filler.

I'll decide at the time on best route - but happy I can make nice panes that actually fit!  :)

Iain

Thanks Iain - I was going to suggest a thin bead of super glue to the front edges for extra strength and as a filler; I do this all of the time with my transparencies in kits (in fact after a coat of Klear to prevent fogging, I apply the stuff liberally and sand back to the required finish - the neat thing is that the density of cured super glue is not that different to the transparency, so it more or less becomes invisible).

Cheers

Derek

Hi Derek,

I've never used it with Klear - or any varnish - never needed to - and on the outside that would just get sanded back anyway.

I've never had fogging on the rear side - just a tiny amount of superglue at a time - or smear the rear face with a little neat washing-up liquid and just rinse afterwards!  :)

All the transparencies on the Connie are done with superglue...

Depends on how all the glazing panels fit - I want them flush - with the only external 'step' being the masked edge for the painted frame.

But choice of HIPS, rather than PETG, was dictated by the need to sand flush and polish.

Iain

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Not sure why, but I get a bit protective when I see Iain's name screwed up like that!

Kev

I get it. My last name gets butchered all the time..which is funny, because Fleischmann literally means “meat man” ( butcher) in German.

cheers

Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

I get it. My last name gets butchered all the time..which is funny, because Fleischmann literally means “meat man” ( butcher) in German.

cheers

Pete

Well, apparently my last name means "fodder for animals" in German. Sounds about right.

Kev

Absolutely stellar work, Iain! The windscreen looks very convincing. I have to try that as well for the flat windows of my MH-53E. 

Pete, there would be no problem at all with your name over here where I live. Funny enough, I've never heard your name - at least in Germany or Belgium. 

Kev, your name actually not only means "fodder" but also "lining" in German.