1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

I really hope I haven't caused him any angst - he's replied to Kev sharing a link on my FB page...

What we have here - out of the box - is an amazing piece of work by Toshihiko - and I'm absolutely loving it!

I do tend to be a little anal about shapes - so want to make tweaks were I can. This is not a reflection on the One Man Model kit - more a reflection of my wanting my finished model to be as accurate I can possibly make it, within my skill set.

I've been known to cut up all sorts of main-steam kits in the past - by comparison - and given the nature of the kit - the tweaks on this kit are relatively minor!  :)

I'd also argue that anyone contemplating building something like this, in the first place, should probably have the skills/confidence to perform modifications anyway.

Iain

No kit/model is perfect Iain from the box.. and if there is only one shape wrong with this, and an area that probably won't really be seen by people when on display (given they face nose out at shows), then I think he's also done a superb job. I'd happily take that on any kit he does, if it means getting kits no one else would be willing to produce. A-90 Ekranoplan for example... that I really can't wait for.. 

3 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Is it me, or does this plane lack the horizontal part on the elevators?

Therer is a dihedral change at the panel line inboard of the vortex generators.

OK - after lots, and lots, of picture gazing yesterday evening I think I'm ready for the next stage on the tailplane.

It appears that, dihedral aside, the tailplane roots are mounted a few mm too high on the rear fuselage - both with respect of the base of the fin, and the upper flat section of the rear doors.

With respect to the latter, the horizontal 'flat' in the door hinge line should almost be directly in line with the lower tailplane to fuselage interface further forward.

A few mm doesn't sound a lot, but with the fuselage curves in the area - and close proximity to the fin base - it does.

Going down a few mm allows space then for the apparently complex upper tailplane root area.

Soo - next step to fit brass tubes for tailplane mounts through rear fuselage and I'm going to align/fit them flat on the upper surface of the tailplane spar box as printed - as I think this is pretty well spot on in position and will give tube centres that will line up with the centrelines of the tailplanes to give a better vertical positioning.

So - could still do with some close ups of the upper tailplane root panels - but have enough info, I think, to proceed.

Photos/progress later (hopefully).  :)

Iain

Well - I do have some update photos I need upload following our downtime over the weekend, but that will have to be tomorrow now.

Getting a lot higher on the learning curve with this material - and have some very positive things to report/illustrate.

Still more fun modelling-wise that I've had for a while!

Stay safe,

Iain

OK - first update we're back at the front end, with some spot filling needed, and removal of the gear doors performed:

48b427_892f7d9f4a3245fa93e5e92821ffdfbd~

48b427_4c8418c854a14c49823ea5536a154f33~

48b427_d4bdc73b1d8f487fa341156e315523f6~

48b427_f4b4f4fbd1ad440bab4f756c2b7beb65~

48b427_fd7230617076409abfc6edfda2f22ba2~

Material is a lot like wood - cutting with the 'grain' (moulded layers) easier than cutting across - and surfaces need different clear-up depending on the 'run of the grain'.

Material is quite tough here and can take a lot of abuse - but also needs a bit of work with the scalpel to separate the gear doors - even though they are printed with a gap along either side.

More shortly - just grabbing a wee dram...

Slàinte!

Iain

OK - back to that empennage...

A start made on sanding - and panel lines sealed with EMS Plastic Weld ready for filler:

48b427_d4b73ea637bc467ba23244d0e4bd7dc0~

48b427_4f4efa0b3d0e4bd4b71e4999f1d5a222~

Section at the base of the rudder that I filled with casting resin has been sanded flat with my trusty 'T' Bar - which I'll show you in the next update.

This is quite a chunky component - which actually makes working on it easier.

Iain