WNW

Pup7309

Re: WNW vs Tamiya. Since their product lines didn't cross, I don't really know how one could easily compare the two. Certainly both do absolutely wonderful tooling, the gold standards in their respective aircraft types. If Tamiya were to ever do their own Sopwith Triplane, I seriously doubt they'd ever go as far as WNW did with their extraordinarily fine detailing and research on that kit.

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The later kits were getting more wire detail, look at the dash on the Sopwith camel with engraved wire detail.  On the Fokker DVII look at the super tiny replicate numbs where the landing gear and the wing spar come together.  Those things had narrow points not more than 1mm to support the planes structure.  

All the fine details may be impressive but they are by no means exceptional in today’s 3D technology. See the new IBG’s P.11c
But ‘Those things had narrow points not more than 1mm to support the planes structure’, that’s what I call bad kit design.

4 hours ago, John1 said:

What set WNW apart from other high end kits was the superb instructions.  Nothing else.  

And the superb engineering.  Especially when they were competing against someone like Roden in the WW1 sphere.  They had engineering that really only Tamiya matched.

The only comparison I would make and meant to make was apples to apples, the Lancaster Merlin engine images, and the Tamiya Spitfire.  I think you can also directly compare the internal detail where WNW were attempting astounding levels of molded detail in the Lancaster including much of the extensive visible wiring that would appear in.such a plane.  None of which Tamiya attempted in their spitfire.  I was making this comparison more to illustrate how WNW maybe also were getting themselves in trouble with the Lancaster in particular which maybe had too much detail to really call it finished and just bring it to market.  Kind of a bridge too far theory.  It became a time and money suck, along with some of their other big recent kits that ultimately lead nowhere.  

On the other hand I made comments that WNW also went too far in other ways when you look out how fine the molded parts were on the DVII which made for a very fragile connection between wings, fuselage, and landing gear.  At the bottom as I recall they even used a common connecting point.  No doubt 100% accurate but also very fragile.  It showed up as well, I had parts on one DVII with imperfect struts.  My Sopwith Camels two out of three sprue shots had bad struts as well at the upper wing attachment.  

My personal downside of WWI aviation modeling is that even in 1/32 the planes are quite delicate if molded accurately although it does convey how fragile the real thing was.  I remember my Albatros tendered to really flop around on it’s landing gear if it was handled and replaced on the shelf.  

34 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

And the superb engineering.  Especially when they were competing against someone like Roden in the WW1 sphere.  They had engineering that really only Tamiya matched.

And the Cartograf decals, and the incredible research.

20 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

This forum's continued response/reaction to the WNW saga is disappointing, frustrating, and highly confusing.

We are all frustrated confused and disappointed, we are loosing a kit maker that most members loved.  I apologize if my posts have not been as well thought out as they should be personally.  I am not really frustrated with my fellow members.  We almost all care greatly about WNW as they were such a wonderful part of our modeling world.  We are loosing something that really brought a different character and personality to our hobby.  This does not rise to the level of a family member, or something so personal or important but in a way we are all grieving bit for something that nonetheless mattered to us.   

48 minutes ago, ringleheim said:

This forum's continued response/reaction to the WNW saga is disappointing, frustrating, and highly confusing.

How so? Again, not being flippant here genuinely curious what is confusing/disappointing.   All of us mods are trying our best to keep the peace. We are all human and all volunteers here..

I myself have made some mistakes in posting, it happens and will happen again Im sure. I have not always chosen the right response, and I am regretful of that aspect, and fully intend to keep that in mind moving forward. Sometimes we make the right call, and sometimes not. In this case some of us did make the wrong call re: some of this, but we are all modelers on staff, and as humans sometimes do make mistakes. 

51 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

And the Cartograf decals, and the incredible research.

Lots of companies are using Cartograf now, that's not as much of a distinction as it used to be.  But the research is definitely up there, even if there were boo-boos from time to time.

Matt 

6 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Lots of companies are using Cartograf now, that's not as much of a distinction as it used to be.  But the research is definitely up there, even if there were boo-boos from time to time.

Matt 

Well, I was talking specifically WNW vs Tamiya, and Tamiya seldom (if ever) uses Cartograf.

Well thay also offered decals with no carrier film. Who else does that for instrument decals? A drop in fit. 5 sets of markings as well researched as possible, and much better than most. Fragile U/C? I've found that tamiya x- thin when set over night is very strong. Fragile yes, but I put mine on bases so they get pinned. Problem solved. Most of their kits audibly click together whn assembled.

WNW raised the bar across the board when introduced. Their subjects drew modelers IN. I know more guys that build WWI now simply because of the WNW effect. Part of that was the attitude of getting it right, and to not, or to minimize the compromises. 

The Lanc. PJs pet project. Sort of like Revell and the Ju-88, but more. No other model company has that, nor can they. I'd like to see it done. I'd buy one, and those 4 motor guys that did not, would be settling.

At the end of the day, we ought to see these kits in some other guise; remember too that there are kits ready to be sold already in the pipeline. When those are released for sale, I'll acquire the few I want. For those who have not purchased one, hmmmm.

I am disappointed with the demise of the company because it was nice to have something like that come out of New Zealand. But oh well, as the cloying sentiment has it, "Don't be sad that it ended; be happy that it happened at all." But it's also clear that some posters have very strong feelings about this issue, either for or against its airing on these forums. Maybe some group therapy is needed? :P

I finally acquired a WNW kit....one of my favorite WW I a/c - the DH 2, Lanoe Hawker release. My first impression was, my, that is a small model. Being used to the WW II "behemoths", so to speak, it could almost fit in the palm of my hand. Second impression, can I afford to build it? Will it be worth its weight in gold someday or should I take a chance that it won't end up on the self of doom? Actually, the question is moot as there are so many others to get to first, as well as the Landing Gear R Us business.  Will probably pull it out(the kit, that is) from time to time and admire the quality of the engineering.

So it goes.

Cheers,

Damian