WNW

Pup7309

Have to ask how many more threads are we going to start with basically the same information, all cribbed from the WW1 forum?  Maybe it’s true, maybe it isn’t, but a compelling narrative told by someone who got it straight from anonymous high placed sources, isn’t any more definitive than what was posted over a month ago over there.

That does seem to point to this being the end of the road, probably permanently for the molds and kits.  They'll probably do a liquidation sale of anything left in stock, and that'll be the end of that.

Matt 

Interesting and depressing read for sure. I was on ebay earlier and looking at the prices of kits that are being bid on... OMG it is totally insane. I know where some of the stimulus checks are being spent. :blink:

I did a quick tally on my stash vs the ebay prices. My stash is worth a little under $7k based on fleabay bidding prices. Too bad I plan on building all of them.  

Edited by The Dude

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Have to ask how many more threads are we going to start with basically the same information, all cribbed from the WW1 forum?  Maybe it’s true, maybe it isn’t, but a compelling narrative told by someone who got it straight from anonymous high placed sources, isn’t any more definitive than what was posted over a month ago over there.

I really don't know, but it's getting mighty tiring. I expect this one too will be locked, and shortly.

10 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

That does seem to point to this being the end of the road, probably permanently for the molds and kits.  They'll probably do a liquidation sale of anything left in stock, and that'll be the end of that.

Matt 

Liquidators are charged with getting as much money out of the assets as is possible in order to pay creditors.  The moulds are significant assets, they will look to sell them.  So it is not the ‘end of that’.  A purchaser will pick them up at a fraction of what they cost to develop and will put them the good use producing kits.  I can still see that Lancaster being released, for instance, but under another branding, which is why I am holding off from buying HKM’s. Besides I don’t think it is certain WNW are completely finished, beyond speculation.  

Edited by BarryWilliams

50 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

Liquidators are charged with getting as much money out of the assets as is possible in order to pay creditors.  The moulds are significant assets, they will look to sell them.  So it is not the ‘end of that’.  A purchaser will pick them up at a fraction of what they cost to develop and will put them the good use producing kits.  I can still see that Lancaster being released, for instance, but under another branding, which is why I am holding off from buying HKM’s. Besides I don’t think it is certain WNW are completely finished, beyond speculation.  

Although I’d love to see the Lanc come to fruition, I don’t think we’ll ever see it happen. It’s  such a niche subject that already has competition out there.   Can’t imagine anyone would make money on this kit (or a good number of the more arcane WNW releases), even if they purchased the moulds at a steep discount.   It’s truly a shame because I feel the Lanc would have been the ultimate LSP ever produced.  

Per the linked post, the big money makers for Wingnut were the Albi’s and D.VII’s.   Those you can guarantee to be picked up by another outfit. 

Wouldn't it more fun to put what you 'think' might happen to the moulds then we'll lock the thread and see who was right in a year or so time?

I'll start, I reckon the moulds will never see the light of day again and in fact the Lancaster moulds were only just started so forget them.

Graham  

10 hours ago, RLWP said:

You're one of the moderators, @LSP_K2 Kevin, I guess it is up to you guys to decide how many threads you want running

Maybe merge this one back into the rambling muscle car one if you see it as no value, or lock the other one to keep the thread on topic?

Richard

As Brian correctly points out, we have asked repeatedly that the same subject not get started over and over again, as have several members, but here we are with yet another one. While rolling this one into the already open thread on the exact same subject, might seem like a good idea on the surface, and would be if in fact this added anything new and definitive, from what I can gather, this is nothing more than another rehash of the already existing "he said, she said" nonsense, which by my definition, is far from anything new and/or definitive.

For a person whose model building experiences focused upon "the Great War" from the time he was a young child, WNW was a total game changer. I was that guy. I came back to the hobby in the early 1980's when you could only find 1/72 aircraft models of WWI subjects or a few of the old Aurora 1/48 kits second hand. As Eduard came out with some good 1/48 scale WWI kits, many others joined them with interesting subjects in vac and resin and my collection and builds moved up in size to 1/48. However when WNW came out with an LVG and just a few more, I realized that I would sell all of my smaller scale kits and move to 1/32, which helped get past the vision issues of an old guy as well.

Thank you to Peter Jackson for having the cash to indulge his own obsessions, because I got to go along for the ride. We have speculated for a decade on what new surprises he would deliver to us for Christmas. This thread is no surprise, it is therapy and we are all speaking of our grief at not being able to find a new shiny object. I have quite a few shiny objects calling my name, but that doesn't stop me from wanting more. It will be a bit harder to find the unusual ones now that Sir Peter is not in charge. Aviattic, Copper State and others will take up the opportunity in the WWI space.

There are great things happening with the subjects from the 1920's and 30's as well. Gladiators, DeHavillands, Dewoitines, Polikarpovs and more. And the WWII and following eras keep delivering goodies as well. Thank you to all for your creative efforts.

Your grief counseling session for today is over... punch and cookies are on the table at the back of the room.

Tnarg

I missed out on the whole WnW thing. Mostly a serious breakdown that happened in 2009 when WnW apparently started, coupled to fear of rigging, or fear about being a sissy if I ever built without it. 

As prices seem to have escalated, it's an experience I shall never know — sort of like being a sixty-two year old Wingnuts virgin.

Tony