1/18 HobbyBoss Me262

Andrea Ferrari

• 11 months later...

I think it fair to say that 1/18 scale AM has not caught up yet with hardly anything for sale! A few decal sheets and that's about all that I can ferret out.

Maybe as the scale gets more wider appeal there could be some interest from some of the manufacturers?

Personally, I'll be scratchbuilding the stuff that I want, you might want to think about that as well for the time being if you can do it?

You never know though, stranger things can happen at sea!!  ;)

scratching building will be way beyond my skill level....ironic that kits made for bigger market are well detailed/made & has hundreds of option parts available, but the kits that actually needs upgrade have none due to low demand....sux.

I think it would be too much of a risk for aftermarket to fill a niche 1/18th scale. From what I understand the few items for 1/24th didnt sell well which doesn't bode well for an even larger scale. Did anything get offered for the 1/18th Dauntless? That kind of telling IMHO...

Mark Proulx

Airscale (Peter Castle) produced beautiful 1/18th photo-etched instrument faces and other cockpit details for his FW-190C V-18 project, which also used a Hobby Boss kit as the starting point. Many of the instruments, switches, knobs, etc. would also suit the -262. I don’t think Airscale had plans to make those parts commercially available, but he’s the first person I’d contact.

Cheers,

Adam

On 4/16/2021 at 3:35 AM, Royboy said:

I think it fair to say that 1/18 scale AM has not caught up yet with hardly anything for sale! A few decal sheets and that's about all that I can ferret out.

Maybe as the scale gets more wider appeal there could be some interest from some of the manufacturers?

Personally, I'll be scratchbuilding the stuff that I want, you might want to think about that as well for the time being if you can do it?

You never know though, stranger things can happen at sea!!  ;)

My feeling here is that it's all a bit like a dog chasing it's tail.  I'd be interested in a 1/18 scale kit, but there's no aftermarket add ons.  If more people bought the kit, you might get some add ons, but if no one buys because there's no add ons, well, you can see where I'm going with this.  From what I've seen, these kits look pretty sparse given their size so after market or scratch building is a must.  Manufacturers could give themselves a better chance if they improved the detail in the standard kit and included some photo etch and I think then these kits might have more appeal.  As it is, they look a bit like scaled up 1/48 kits.  I'd buy a better kit than the present offerings as I think they'd look great displayed along side my 1/18 model cars.

Cheers,

Michael