Liberated during quarantine -PB4Y-1

17 hours ago, easixpedro said:

I just had to come back for a second look! Amazed at the transformation. What BS/BG are. You going to do?

I keep wanting to build my one from my Great Uncle’s squadron in the 461st BG, 15th AF. Was doing research recently and there were 2 different missions that I know what aircraft he was in, and out of 30ish aircraft in the group, 10 or less came back... makes one shudder to think.

-Peter

I'm not sure what aircraft that I am going to do, I still have to get around the turret issues, I might go with an ERCO turret and do a PB4Y-1, not sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the wings other than thinning down the ailerons which will be easy compared to what was already done. I have moved onto the interior which is quite a few parts, for the most part all fits good except for a couple of the small bulkheads in the tail and the cockpit bulkhead, floor and instrument panel need to be reduced in width a little for the fuselage to close up.

3XzT2Tx.jpg?1fbeNs2A.jpg?1izXGiXi.jpg

29OqPV9.jpg?1

Also put the Eduard cockpit set in .

5uOANhx.jpgPDYP4E1.jpgFXYb5sX.jpg

I wanted to make the engines look a little better, I had purchased HK models B-17 engine sprues a while ago when this B-24 kit first came out, figured I would use the props and tires, hopefully the engines... Well I was able to take the cylinder rings and cut 2 cylinders off cutting center between the adjacent cylinders , then I sawed a notch in between the remaining 7 cylinders about half way through the ring and then gently bent them all until I had a smaller ring and glued the joint where the other 2 cylinders had occupied. Worked well and I did the same with the push rods. Unfortunately I haven't been to work still, I could draw a new crank case in 3D really quickly that would look more like it should and print them.. I also have Harold's AMS propeller governors that I added.

SrICZUF.jpg?1

Edited by patricksparks

6 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Wow Pat! The lib looks awesome so far! You're making quick progress on this one. The engine work come out great. Are the kit engines that bad? I haven't looked at them yet....

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks Craig,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               the kit engines remind me of 1970s 1:72 scale kit engines, both rows of cylinders molded together no separate push rods, over-sized cooling fins on the cylinders, not very crisp looking. They can be used with some creative painting/shading.                                                                                                                                                                    I could have bought some Vector P & W 1830 resin replacements but I didn't feel like spending  $170 dollars on 4 of them and probably have to wait a month the get them in the mail !!!

Thanks again,

Pat

Edited by patricksparks

Got around to finishing the pilot's seats added some Eduard B-17 belts. I decided to put the seats in 2 different positions as the kit comes with both seats all the way back to the bulkhead, I simply put a piece of styrene strip in the back notch of the left hand seat rails and knifed in a new pair of notches on the front portion of the rails, just thought it would look a little interesting....

HpsBcjj.jpgx0IBeK7.jpg

Also started putting the Eduard engine set parts into the back end of the engine nacelles, I was going to glue them into the nacelles but I realized it was easier to glue them onto the wings, they line up right on one of the kit panel lines, left to right is simply putting the kit nacelle in place and marking the location with a pencil...

V3S1iKo.jpgIsyP8Dp.jpglYsuCND.jpg

Been working on the upper turret, I decided to sand all the ribbing off except for the gun barrel openings, I am trying to make it look more like the "common" Martin turret domes.

I had some Eduard 50 cal guns so I decided to switch out the kit guns for them and some brass barrels. I also had to add a gun sight, Hobby Boss made the arms that hold it but didn't bother to make anything to go between them....

adUAHBj.jpg

I finally was able to go to my office and do a little 3D drawing, I made a new engine crankcase to go with the cobbled up B-17 engine cylinders, drew them up this morning and 3 hours of printing later have 8 of them.

pYCqq6l.jpgzLyGpXx.jpg

I decided to take one set of parts , paint them and assemble them to get a good look at the progress, still have to wire it and put a propeller governor on it. The great thing is I found that if I didn't put the rocker arm covers on the cylinder heads, the engine fits right into the nacelles snug, just had to do a quick knife out of the rib inside the front of the nacelles(this rib holds the kits engines).

rr7T4pj.jpg6nOji9G.jpg?1iBDpYGY.jpg?1NxrY1VM.jpg?1RxZfZPN.jpg?1u7fmmER.jpg?1eirrgrm.jpg