Liberated during quarantine -PB4Y-1

Worked some more today on the ERCO turret, scratched some parts, scrounged the parts box for others. Still have to make a gun sight that mounts behind the angled armored glass, also have to put seat and shoulder harnesses in, the guns will get brass barrels as well.

wNnP8LI.jpgdWwXkcQ.jpgAqeCYAk.jpggnMVHFj.jpg

Hit the road this morning and decided to put the ERCO turret to rest for the most part...

Seat belts in, gun sight in,gun barrels in, still have to make cover plates for the gun barrels and a direct view plate frame in the the front of the "dome"..

rPWox9W.jpgJe8zdfT.jpglwIn867.jpgwbygLVU.jpgCvpegzT.jpg

I have added the sight window frame to the front of the dome along withe gun barrel cover plates, there is also a stainless steel "bridle" that goes over the dome to hold it in place, it was un-latched in order to remove the dome and service the turret. I made the bridle from aluminum tape. The dome was then submerged into Future to keep everything stuck on....

cJQnDsm.jpg5vg1UlP.jpggMSsuJX.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention, with brass barrels, I've always had difficulties keeping paint on them or blackening agents, what I have started doing is washing them with lacquer thinner and coating them with "sharpie" black permanent markers and then painting them really dark grey and putting black wash over them. seems to work really well...

Edited by patricksparks

Started to apply some markings, I'm using Montex masks for the national insignia, I have to modify them as I wanted to do the red bordered stars and bars but no one offers them in B-24 size !!! the early B-24s and PB4Ys had the really large fuselage stars and the bars were added later into the war. I decided to start painting the camo demarcation in sections as the model is very large and with the way the wings go on, it can be painted with them off, which makes it much easier. I''l move on to the forward fuselage next.

iST0KOT.jpg7FKMJnS.jpg