Liberated during quarantine -PB4Y-1

Finished up the upper turret this morning, happy with the results, I think that it looks much better with all the frame work sanded off the dome, I also sanded the top of the dome a little flatter as the earlier martin turrets were, I was a little apprehensive to sand too much as I didn't want to go through the top...

m8QXhmI.jpgBnvOWhb.jpg7hNBoLy.jpgIDQ3e5x.jpg

Well I was moving on in a good clip, I had the engine nacelles glued on with just a touch of filler in a few small spots, which is amazing considering the re-shaping of the wings, everything almost fit perfect, go figure ??? I was sanding the seams just in front of the leading edges of the wing being careful not to round over the corners of the angled projections by the cowl flap openings, these projections are circled in red in the following photo :

bfZTwhF.jpg

Hello HOBBY BOSS !!!!, these projections don't belong here !!!!

Z6i1Oki.jpg?1

I checked a dozen other photos of B-24s, no one has the Hobby Boss projections, must have been a long lunch again... So I got out the knife whittled all 16 of the buggers off and went back to sannding, I have to admit it's much easier to clean-up the nacelles without the protrusions there..

phegaEz.jpg

A little spritz of dark grey to  check and a little bit of re-scribing and rivets..

jIjIdCs.jpg

Also got around to opening the tunnel gun windows on the rear fuselage.

QjOyXWn.jpg

The last set of seat belts onto the flight engineer/upper turret gunner's seat, which I had to cut the back rest down as it must be about 3-1/2 feet tall in 1:32 scale the way Hobby Boss made it, they must have thought  it was a head rest instead of a back support ?

LjRAGUd.jpg

Was able to do some more 3D drawing to print some parts, I started with an ERCO front turret , unfortunately the base failed to print, I didn't put enough supports under them and they collapsed while in print. The turret itself came out alright though and I have some long range fuel tanks for the bomb bay printing right now.

Kd1TCSQ.jpgUkOsO8f.jpgpnF2w93.jpg

Printed my bomb bay fuel tanks and painted them today, added some foil tape for straps and a couple decals for interest. I had to make these tanks up, I couldn't find any reference photos or drawings of the tanks the B-24/PB4Ys carry, the only thing i found was written reference that said that there were 2 tanks carried in the forward bomb bay and I beleive it said that they were 350 gallons each, mine are probably a little large but I'm happy with the way they look...

9bLAKnG.jpgR45UtZh.jpgLURZYK6.jpg

Wanted to make the sea-search radar dome that replaces the ball turret on PB4Y-1s, I had to find a way to make it with no lathe, I had no dowels no urethane foam board, all at work, there I have an industrial shop with everything.... But I did make sure I bought a $99 dolllar vacuum form machine off Ebay a couple months ago when the CO-19 hit. I searched around the house this morning and to my surprise I came across the ice cream scoop, it has a cap on the handle that is the perfect size for the radome, I popped it off sucked a shot over it,put the cap back on and threw back into the drawer !!!

dqjMcWr.jpgjlkbeKW.jpgzO5mKDz.jpg

I had to fill in the hole for the ball turret and it's barrels as the turret is a bigger diameter than the radome, I am happy with the results so far, I also made up a faux plywood deck to cover the ball turret opening in the cabin and added a contrived mast and bracing for the radar installation.

1TL0k6e.jpgkf3L6IL.jpgDEbBI9S.jpg3kOJKN0.jpg

• patricksparks changed the title to Liberated during quarantine -PB4Y-1