1:32 F4U-1A Corsair

Pat H

Cool Pat! This is the most superbly engineered kit I've ever built so you'll love it. I can also recommend the Barracuda cockpit stencils although sounds as though you've already got something lined up. Just posted my pit over on the LSP Cockpits thread a couple of hours ago if you want to have a look. LSP Cockpits

Hey guys! So this morning, my girlfriend looked right at me and said "You aren't listening are you?" Which, personally, I thought was a really weird way to start a conversation. But then she got mad and went to her moms and I had some time to get a few things done. I realize it's nothing exciting, but this eduard kit is a pain. Everything that needs to be cut out, added with the pretty poor instructions. A lot of confusion in them would be omitted if they just did a straight on shot instead of 2/3rd illustrations. I KNOW it'll be worth it in the end, but I have almost just resorted to using the kit cockpit.

86sArPg.jpg

RN4qqEB.jpg

KIYUmhJ.jpg

dztaDhm.jpg

g6Fdz4h.jpg

U2z4riK.jpg

Edited by Pat H

So.. I've managed to start assembly,  and I gotta say... I'm just not having a good time with this Eduard cockpit. The fit is horrible, nothing feels like it's going together right, and I'm looking at other peoples builds of the kit supplied one, and I just don't think it's worth the frustration. 

dsNElvU.jpg

Also, I've ordered the barracuda placard set, since the ones from HGW seem to explode the second you touch them to water. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear that its not going well! IMHO, Tamiya built a perfectly good cockpit, so if you head back to that, you won't be disappointed. Nor will you be disappointed with the Barracuda stencils 

7 minutes ago, Brett M said:

Sorry to hear that its not going well! IMHO, Tamiya built a perfectly good cockpit, so if you head back to that, you won't be disappointed. Nor will you be disappointed with the Barracuda stencils 

It's life, just a bummer when you try and line yourself to really nail something, and then all it does is fight you.

It'd be one thing if I was a novice. But I've been building a long while. This was the last project I finished.

AKOn6ZT.jpg

Hey Pat,

Eduard’s stuff can be a little fiddly but usually goes together fairly well so sorry you’re having a rough go of it. I find cleaning up all the multiple pour stubs from the castings annoying. Their detail is phenomenal though. Out of curiosity, what Color are you using for the cockpit? It doesn’t appear either Interior Green or Dark Dull Green. The F4U-1a cockpits were primarily Interior Green but some components were still delivered in Dark Dull Green.

If you do go with the kit cockpit, which you won’t be disappointed with, you can use some of the more detailed Eduard pieces to embellish it. Keep at it though as it’s a brilliant kit!

Cheers,

Wolf

1 hour ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Hey Pat,

Eduard’s stuff can be a little fiddly but usually goes together fairly well so sorry you’re having a rough go of it. I find cleaning up all the multiple pour stubs from the castings annoying. Their detail is phenomenal though. Out of curiosity, what Color are you using for the cockpit? It doesn’t appear either Interior Green or Dark Dull Green. The F4U-1a cockpits were primarily Interior Green but some components were still delivered in Dark Dull Green.

If you do go with the kit cockpit, which you won’t be disappointed with, you can use some of the more detailed Eduard pieces to embellish it. Keep at it though as it’s a brilliant kit!

Cheers,

Wolf

It's painted in the usual tamiya mix for interior green, for whatever reason my phone camera can't figure the color out, and I haven't got anything interesting enough done, to warrant setting up the "real" camera. 

The more I think about it, especially after seeing your build, I think I'm just going to use the eduard set as somewhat of a reference to improve upon the kit. This is honestly the first time I've had issues with anything Eduard has made. It very well may be user error, but it's bogging me down.

Another reason I've been debating just using the kits cockpit, is I know the decals and everything I have will fit them. Not so much if they'll work well with the subtle differences of the eduard stuff. 

Anywho, onward and upward.

Made some small progress today, with the kit supplied cockpit. Now, to be clear, I never claimed to be a plumber. My wire is a little thick, but once it gets buttoned up, I'm sure it will look fine.

I used some aluminum tubing to make the T fitting and wrapped lead wire around the ends. I did fix the center one after taking pictures, but here's where I'm at.

3Qec9pn.jpg

NRbQTgC.jpg

HRELtL3.jpg

gdgnA7P.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been making some slow progress on this, with the billion decals for the cockpit and all haha. I'll spend a night here or there, adding decals, and it takes about two days for my  eyes to stop feeling strained. I did, however, manage to graft the Eduard rudder pedals to kit supplied part. My glue work is a touch sloppy there, but no one will see it. 

Actually now that I say that, it will probably be the only thing people see.... I still need to tidy up my wash work. I grabbed some regular turpentine, which at first I didn't think it smelled that bad, but  then I went to the store and  when I came back, I could smell it in the main hallway of the building. I picked up some odorless stuff today.

TTMBytO.jpg

wwz0CuK.jpg

ncbGA9u.jpg

Edited by Pat H

Hey Pat,

Lookin’ good Sir. I can guarantee you, if you’re at all concerned about how your gluing of the rudder pedal assemblies look, you’re right. No one will see it. You’ll be lucky just to see the top portion of the pedals.

Keep the postings coming!

Cheers,

Wolf