Airfix's next 1/24 scale model? A conversation.

Royboy

On 5/14/2020 at 10:38 AM, PhilB said:

Trumpeter's 1/24 Hurricanes are definitely an "A" team effort.

I've built two different versions and they are superb.

As regards the original question, a 1/24 Corsair would have plenty of appeal especially in the US. 

Agreed 100%. For 1:24 Hurricanes, the Trumpeter kits are pretty darned good, and I personally don't believe they need replacing.

Personally i would love the Corsair above most mentions simply because it has folding wings and the 24th scale birds take up tons of space. Ingot the Helcat for that reason. 

Now i would LOVE a Sea Fury. But considering we don't even have a mainstream one in 1/32 it could be the best or worst selling kit! 

I just built the trumpeter bf109g6 and loved it. Got the p51 and 2 typhoon's cant wait to build them.

Was working with someone to make paint masks for Big Beautiful Doll but it never concluded. Main reason preventing me from bui6ldin my p-51  is i can find mask or decals that really exite me

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Now Ii would LOVE a Sea Fury. But considering we don't even have a mainstream one in 1/32 it could be the best or worst selling kit! 

If I was to choose a top two of new piston powered British subjects to be done in 1/24 …...the Sea Fury is rated #1!!

Closely followed by a BP Defiant!

One day perhaps?  :rolleyes:

A new tool Spitfire would probably fit the bill for me, as by more or less replicating the full size aircraft, all marks could be accurately produced from one 'standard' set of airframe mouldings (the fuselage, from the firewall to the rudder post, and basic wing shape, remained the same up to and including the Mk.XIX aircraft). The same could also be said of the P-51 Mustang and Bf 109 to a lesser degree.

These aircraft types have have always sold well, and will probably continue to do so in the future, so if Airfix were to choose to create the definitive versions of these aircraft in 1/24 scale, it may be worth the cost of new tool investment in order to reap the long term rewards later (the new tooled re-releases of their smaller scales models has proved to be quite effective).

Derek

Edited by Derek B