CVE-73 USS Gambier Bay, Hasegawa 1/350

BradG

I finally managed to finish this kit a couple of years after starting it. It's a complex model with many small parts, however, the fit of the parts is exceptional. I used lifecolor USN paint sets number 1 and 2, which go down very nicely with airbrush or standard brush.  I decided not to use the deck decals, so the guide marks and the '73' at each end were painted on with masks I made myself, although if you want to, there is a commercially available masking set for the deck. I burned through a lot of Tamiya tape and I think my eyes still hurt from all the painting! Weathering was done with dry pigment and washes, cos I like a dirty ship.

Gambier Bay was the only US aircraft carrier sunk by surface naval gunfire in the Pacific. As a part of task force 77.4.3, she was caught by Admiral Kurita's Battleship and Cruiser force during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October 1944. It's reported she took hits from the Battleship Yamato, Battleship Kongo and Heavy cruiser Chikuma along with several other warships before sinking.

M6kV2Db.jpg

3CzhQoI.jpg

lk0wk7M.jpg

LKF4fZR.jpg

F6jbhYT.jpg

TmG6wK9.jpg

YNFB4Wc.jpg

MtYZbxL.jpg

2XXfEhb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, themongoose said:

Really cool. Did you use preshading for the hull plates i see or another technique? The dark red lines along the plats really caght my eye.

No preshading, it was all done with weathering pigments, both dry and used as a wet wash.