Question for the Silhouette users

scvrobeson

Hey everyone,

Thread title says it all, have a question for those of you utilizing Silhouette cutters for masks.  Is it possible to cut decal sheets with the blade? Like if I were to make patterns of carbon fibre decals for F1 kits, or want to cut decals from the Aviattic sheets, will the blade go through the decal sheet?  I know it can cut through Tamiya tape sheets, but the decal paper might be a bit thicker than that.

Thanks everyone, hope you're all staying safe at home.

Matt 

Yes Matt, it will cut through decal sheet. The drop down list of materials it cuts is quite impressive, including plastic card of varying thicknesses, though a stronger blade is recommended for the thicker range of plastic. The blade can also do several passes to ensure the cut is complete.....it’s a matter of trial and error to a certain extent, or settings from other users! 

I plan to try something similar myself at some point when its time to mangle my Tamiya F-16. The airframe I want to do has the Carbon fibre exhaust plates so I'm looking at tracing one out with tape, using that as my master and scanning it in to the silhouette software to cut each plate. I've used an older blade to score plasticard sheet. It's just a case of playing with cut depth settings and as Max pointed out you can do multiple passes over a cut line as another option too so I cant see decal backing paper being an issue.