Brand new Iwata HP BH Hi-Line, do i have a valid complaint with the cup

Hetstaine

I just finished spraying a small test cup, its first, and then after flushing it with Vallejo thinners some paint still remained stuck to the sides which surprised me. I used a small amount of Vallejo airbrush cleaner and a gave it a quick swirl with a cotton bud and noticed it felt 'grabby'. Upon inspection, the inside of the cup seems rough as guts and minimally chromed, definitely not a nice smooth surface. I can feel the roughness with my pinkie whereas my year old Iwata Eclipse is still smooth as the proverbial and has a far better chrome finish in the cup. Is this par for the course with this brush or a legit issue? I honestly expected a beautifully finished cup at the price point compared to the Eclipse.

x6JG2b1.jpg

I would contact them if i was you.

When i received my new badger krome dome of the accessories where different, the cup cover was not metal being one of them. Contacted them and got some good insights, one of them being ppl were complaining that it sometimes fell off or was hard to put on it not surgically cleaned. 

Your issue might be a defect or on purpose. I would ask them directly

Cheers

I  just fired of an email, I'm really not happy at all with the inside of the cup. The finish is sub par for the price and is worse than my cheapy backup badger lg100 that doesn't ever leave the draw since i purchased the Eclipse. It's like they just neglected to polish it and i'm unsure if it is meant to be chrome plated, if so, it's so thin as to be near invisible. Very dissapointed atm as it took me a while to save and then finally nail it down to this brush for detail work. I really wanted to give it a good session tonight.. hopefully it's just a one off otherwise i have to look into an alternative .2mm brush for mottling and the like.

My immediate reaction is that you got a knockoff airbrush.

Do you have "proof" of some kind that the airbrush is genuine? Reputable dealer?  Holographic sticker on the box?  

Doesn't sound right, and definitely not up to typical Iwata quality.

13 minutes ago, Hetstaine said:

BNA Model World so yes, very reputable dealer. Standard sealed Iwata box with the holographic sticker etc. The brush is legit with the usual Iwata engravings, beautiful outside finish and the trigger action is superb.

Yeah, first stop talk to Iwata. I've not ever seen that in any Iwata brush. I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced it outright.

Do they have a number to call? I'd be tempted to talk to someone directly.

I have sent an email to BNA which i am hoping they will reply to today, no live chat available due to covid and work restrictions unfortunately. I thought i should go through them first seeing as how they have supplied the item. They do have more in stock so i imagine it will just be a straight swap and hopefully i just got a one off.

edit- I have just got on to Anest Iwata Australia and spoke to a lovely lady on the phone who i have emailed pictures to. I mainly wanted to see if this is a possible issue with this brush or if they had a bad batch they know about as the box i received does look like it has been on the shelf for quite some time, the part number and bar code stickers being very faded.

Edited by Hetstaine
more info

Hmmm, just got off the phone to Iwata and the guy there says he cannot see an issue via the pictures. He stated it looks normal. I was actually silent for a few seconds lol.

I re-explained the problem and that you could feel the lack of polish/coating and ridges and how it looks nothing like the smooth and still very chrome interior of the Eclipse cup that is over a year old.

This was all via the lady that answered the phone as i had to ring back as he hadn't actioned my email that he stated he would earlier this morning.

By the end of our conversation she said i can send the brush back and they will look at it but i'm a bit sceptical of a replacement through Iwata itself now.

Im going to take a picture of my Eclipse cup and put it side by side with the new brush and see if he can see the difference between the two. If not i'm recommending him an optometrist :D

Having not heard back from BNA yet as well i'm stuck waiting until next week and hoping BNA gets back to me so i can resolve it with them.

It is a bit difficult to see the roughness from these pictures if I'm being honest. It looks very similar to the way the inside of my HP CS looks. If you can feel the roughness with your fingers, I wonder if running a cotton bud, or cotton ball or other on the inside of the bowl would snag any of the cotton strands and make it easier to see the malformation? 

I just sent through this pic which should clearly show the difference in finish, especially considering the Eclipse has 14 months of work under its belt. If you look closely at the top right pic of the new brush you can see super fine strands of the cotton bud stuck to the ridges/rough surface from when i cleaned it last night. Hard to spot as i flushed it several times afterwards and then wiped it dry as well as blowing it out with my other brush to dry it for the pics last night.

If i need to i will use a cotton bud and snag a bunch in the cup and see how Santa like i can get it looking :D 

wbtBlqn.jpg

Edited by Hetstaine
addition

My thinking was that someone who worked at Iwata would have picked up on the initial pictures immediately. If that second set doesn't help out i'll go the cotton bud route.

Oh, btw, did you ever finish that 163 diorama from a few years back? I was looking at your WIP but it petered out and i couldn't find a ready for inspection post and was interested in seeing the end result.

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Hetstaine said:

Oh, btw, did you ever finish that 163 diorama from a few years back? I was looking at your WIP but it petered out and i couldn't find a ready for inspection post and was interested in seeing the end result.

No, its still in WIP limbo unfortunately. Its on the SOD, along with my Walrus, Triebflugel, and F-104D. Ive GOT to get back to my F7F Tigercat before much of anything!

Ah bummer! I'm doing an Me262 dio at the moment and was loving the work you had done on it so far. I don't have a sod, i'm one of the weird ones that has to finish a project once i've started it. Hope to see her posted one day :)

Edited by Hetstaine