Best place to live in the UK

DonH

Because I'm into history and old things is the one reason why I would never emigrate, I have lived abroad but the lack of history compared to here is a deciding factor for me.

You don't have to go very far to see an old building or a museum or something to interest you. on average to travel anywhere by motorway the rule of thumb is a mile a minute usually doing 70 to 80 miles mph, all other roads it can be as long as 30 miles in 1 hour travelled or worse if you get in a jam.

I'm from the south in Kent and have progressively move further North but I must say each county has it's pro's and con's, Kent is very busy and I wouldn't move back there [ I did for a few years ]  Suffolk is nice but getting very busy now as well and Lincolnshire is quiet but it feels like it's populated by people from Craggy Island [ Father Ted  comedy show ] but does have a strong Air Force connection.

Graham

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

Yep, driving here can be a right royal pain in the ass, basically any time from Easter through to October (various kids schools holidays start in those times through peak summer months) the small local roads become clogged. There will also invariably be sections of road closed for repair making it even worse. At any time of year I consider myself to have done well if I can make the 250 mile trip to London to visit friends in under 3 hours, thats with 90% of that trip on motorways and dual carriage ways and being a good boy and sticking to speed limits. 

7 hours ago, RLWP said:

Oh, it's nearly impossible to drive anywhere here these days, we are grassing over all the motorways and following the man in the bowler hat with the red flag makes progress very slow

Don't come!

Richard

Please forgive the thread hijacking here.

I'm afraid you get that everywhere.  It's a fact of modern life.  From my perspective, driving through rural England was a great pleasure compared to the sprawling metropolis that is Perth.  Here we have only one freeway, that runs from north to south, as a big percentage of people live near the coast.  For the six hours of the day that are peak hour, it's just a car park.  So glad I don't have to drive at those times any more.  The only place that compared was Bridgewater in Somerset.  But I remember my Dad complaining about the traffic jams around there in 1960, so I was expecting that.  The standard of driving is better in England at least.  The standard of driving in Perth is abysmal - the worst I've encountered anywhere in the world, with the possible exception of south east Queensland, around Brisbane and the Gold Coast. 

Speaking of which; holiday makers...  :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:.  Don't go the Queensland in late winter and spring.  This is a great pity as August and September are the best time to go there.   I did this as a road trip from Perth to Cairns in late July, to early September 2018.  Once we got north of the Sunshine Coast north of Brisbane, the main highway north (the Bruce Highway - no Monty Python jokes, please) is choked with grey nomads from Victoria dragging their infernal caravans around.  The road is mostly single lane each way with a speed limit of a measly 100km/h, yet these dummies with no consideration for others can't seem to go any faster than about 75km/h.  Then you get to an overtaking lane and you think, great, we can all pass now.  But you can't, because the caravan toting peanuts all speed up, and then you find that the overtaking lane is only 1km long, and there's speed cameras on all of them.  :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:   Given the big distances in this country, this is a big problem, but the coppers are nowhere to be seen because they're all checking speed camera film.  At the time we were there, the local pollies were discussing the merits of installing another 50 of these devices, and the economic merits of the idea.  You wouldn't believe the places our pollies love to put these "road safety cameras" in our eastern states, as they euphemistically like to call them.  We stopped for coffee on the Hay Plain in western NSW for half an hour, and only two trucks passed us.  It's the middle of nowhere, but there's a gantry across the road festooned with speed cameras, and a sign saying it's for your safety and to help you manage fatigue.  :wacko:  Victoria has the most speed cameras per capita in the world, and New South Wales isn't far behind.  Clearly these thrice accursed caravaners are taking their silly revenue ideas north with them.  Then, there's the toll roads over that side of the country.....   :blowup: 

But we won't talk about that right now.....

:angry2:

Michael.

Edited by Dpgsbody55

12 hours ago, RLWP said:

Sooo, after all this nonsense

I'd go for somewhere in the Midlands. We're just south of Coventry (Air Museum, modelling club and a couple of local restoration projects) London is 1 1/2 hours by train, Cosford is a bit over an hour by car, Shuttleworth and Duxford maybe 2 hours (M6, A11).

M1, M6, M5 take you to most places in reasonable time, and all the usual amenities are generally very local - not true of mid Wales or Lincolnshire for instance

Apart from that - it's a really hard question to answer. What do you like to do when you are not pursuing your hobbies? What sort of area do you want to live in?

Richard

When and if I return the the UK, I imagine a gentle semi-retirement where I can potter around my garden, visit air museums, watch flying somewhere and volunteer at a museum where I can get my hands dirty.

It's a dream, like the dream that I will clear my stash one day.

just thought about where I live, Bristol. It has its own air museum with a Concorde, Cosford and Yeovilton are 1 hr away, the Air Tattoo at Fairford is close enough that I can drive every day rather than camping, RAF museum in Hendon is 2 hr away, Duxford 3hr away  plus a real life model shop in the city centre and others nearby.

I'm luckier than I thought

4 minutes ago, Adrian said:

just thought about where I live, Bristol. It has its own air museum with a Concorde, Cosford and Yeovilton are 1 hr away, the Air Tattoo at Fairford is close enough that I can drive every day rather than camping, RAF museum in Hendon is 2 hr away, Duxford 3hr away  plus a real life model shop in the city centre and others nearby.

I'm luckier than I thought

Cosford and Yeovilton an hour away!!  :huh: How many points on your licence? :D

3 minutes ago, mozart said:

Cosford and Yeovilton an hour away!!  :huh: How many points on your licence? :D

None at the moment but I am a regular at speed awareness courses, generally 1 every 4 - 5 years.  An hr needs good roads to Cosford but Yeovilton works going down the A37 (as long as doesn't conflict with Glastonbury). By Hr I mean Hr ish I guess (just in case PC 45675 is looking in).

Funnily enough Yeovilton is where I attended my last speed awareness course, seemed criminal being amongst all those planes for a 4 hour lecture and telling off! I “earned” my points on the A303 just north of Yeovilton doing 86mph on the bike. Empty road h’officer! :o 

32 minutes ago, mozart said:

Funnily enough Yeovilton is where I attended my last speed awareness course, seemed criminal being amongst all those planes for a 4 hour lecture and telling off! I “earned” my points on the A303 just north of Yeovilton doing 86mph on the bike. Empty road h’officer! :o 

Just can't imagine you as Marlon Brando in the Wild One :coolio:

7 minutes ago, quang said:

Just can't imagine you as Marlon Brando in the Wild One :coolio:

Of course not, he couldn't be anything like Brando in Wild One

Brando's hat would have blown off at 86mph

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Anywhere in Scotland north of the Central Belt. 22% of the UK landmass and 2.5% of the population!!

Loads of space and the best scenery. And as Skiner said all the whisky...

2 hours ago, GusM said:

Anywhere in Scotland north of the Central Belt. 22% of the UK landmass and 2.5% of the population!!

Loads of space and the best scenery. And as Skiner said all the whisky...

And 25 miles to the nearest supermarket to buy that whisky.