Best place to live in the UK

DonH

3 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

lol, I'm thinking there might be differences of what "cold" means to different people when it comes to winters! :lol: 

That's true. Here in the UK we have a special kind of cold. The temperature isn't low, but you get wet and the wind stops trying to blow around you and just go straight through. It's a special, miserable kind of cold - you won't freeze, just want to give up

Richard

4 minutes ago, RLWP said:

That's true. Here in the UK we have a special kind of cold. The temperature isn't low, but you get wet and the wind stops trying to blow around you and just go straight through. It's a special, miserable kind of cold - you won't freeze, just want to give up

Surprisingly the cold temps and deep snow we get here in the midwest US are not as bad as they have been in the past. Although there have been years of 3 or 4 separate snow storms in year, each dumping 25cm+ of snow, here its more the absolutely hot, humid and utterly miserable summers that make one want to just give up.

7 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

here its more the absolutely hot, humid and utterly miserable summers that make one want to just give up.

We don't have those

Warm rain, we have that

Richard

52 minutes ago, mozart said:

And warm beer, none of that pansy chilled stuff! 

We used to go to a pub* that served their real ales at lager temperatures. We stopped going

Richard 

*remember those?

14 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

lol, I'm thinking there might be differences of what "cold" means to different people when it comes to winters! :lol: 

Very true. I have 31 degrees C every day. Anything below 25 degrees C starts to feel chilly and I need to put a coat on to open the fridge.

2 hours ago, DonH said:

Very true. I have 31 degrees C every day. Anything below 25 degrees C starts to feel chilly and I need to put a coat on to open the fridge.

Well, it gets to 25 degree C in the UK on at least seven days of the year. Anything over 10 and people are out in t-shirts and shorts - well, that it until it rains again.

Edited by vince14

9 minutes ago, vince14 said:

Well, it gets to 25 degree C in the UK on at least seven days of the year. Anything over 10 and people are out in t-shirts and shorts - well, that it until it rains again.

True, I've seen a few gentlemen in shorts and t-shirts exploring the exhibition halls in Telford in November :wacko:

It's always funny to see Brits talk about things being "far away" when it's a few hours' drive.  That's a short jaunt for most of us in the states, considering I can drive a few hours and still be in the same county in California. Your entire country, including Scotland, is smaller than my single state.

Matt 

Drive a few hours in most countries, and you won't have got anywhere. Drive a few hours in the UK and you'll have been through three or four completely different sceneries

I've lived in Canada, which is why I know I'm happier living here

Richard