Best place to live in the UK

DonH

If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would you choose? I arm thinking about good access to aviation related locations - museums/airbases/flying clubs. Places where you could volunteer to help with restorations, etc. etc.

Well I think I live in one of the best places in the UK for my personal criteria; quiet, no crowds or large cities, no motorways, beautiful countryside and nature, excellent golf clubs etc etc.  But for your expressed criteria, it's a wilderness apart from FAA Yeovilton which is 20 minutes away down the A303.  Very good museum, opportunities for volunteering, possibility of doing research if the FAA's your thing, annual flying international display etc.  Part of me wants to re-locate to Lincolnshire because that's where my research is centred, and near Coningsby Spits, Hurricanes and the Lancaster are a pretty common sights.....but I'm a Westcountry lad born and bred so that's where I'll stay. 

For good access to aviation-related locations, you're primarily looking at the East Midlands, Lincolnshire, Norfolk or Suffolk - essentially anywhere that's South of Lincoln, East of Leicester and North of London.

Capture3.jpg

The pins are for a few aviation museums, but it's by no means comprehensive (Duxford is in Cambridgeshire, Newark Air Museum is in Nottinghamshire etc. and they're both missing off this map). These places can be cheaper to live in than London (although Cambridge is expensive), but they're also a lot more - shall we say - rural than the rest of the country.

Edited by vince14

I live just to the west of Northampton on vince14's map.. and it's pretty good for aviation locations!

One thing you can't see on that map is Cosford, which is just off the left hand side and 45 minutes away from me on a good day

I'm slightly NNE of Shuttleworth on Vince's map: I can see the A1 from my house.  About 15 minutes from Shuttleworth, about an hour or less from the RAF Museum, and 20-30 minutes from Duxford (which isn't marked).  There's also a wealth of old RAF and US 8th AF airfields if you're into history, aviation archaeology, etc. 

4 hours ago, DonH said:

Nice videos, thanks for posting!

Looks like my vote is going in the Lincolnshire direction at the moment.

Yes, only Lincolnshire is so bloody boring apart from old airfields. Flat and everything is so far apart

Richard

22 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Yes, only Lincolnshire is so bloody boring apart from old airfields. Flat and everything is so far apart

Richard

And it gets a bit cold in the winter when those easterly winds whip off the continent over the North Sea! Brrrr!!