HB B-24D

leoasman

Trying to get this one going with some of my free time.  Currently, I'm modifying the landing gear so I can have it up and hopefully be able to adapt a HK B-17 wall mount to hold it up.  My plan is to eventually wall mount it with an acrylic dust case around it.  Also, I'm trying Imgur for the photos, so bear with my while I figure it out.

jrve3Pz.jpg

Edited by leoasman

Excellent start!

For round tires in the wells, I recommend some of Halberd Models' wheels. They aren't bulged, and are made out of soft resin, so you can paint them to your liking (and they won't eat the plastic!) Sure beats having to deal with that bulge in the Eduard tire there, when the entire face of the tire is visible once its retracted.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Thanks Dennis!  I was definitely thinking about tire replacements since the kit vinyl ones don’t fit in the wells. But then I noticed that my HK B-17 had extra main mounts on the sprues. My plan is to sand the bulge down a bit and point the flat part toward the gear leg. My feeling is that the flattened part will be barely noticeable with the gear doors in place. Also since it will be wall mounted, no one will ever see them anyway. 

Thanks,

Leo

Jumping around a bit on this one.  I'm trying to address any modifications first.  So I figured that since I was making this one in-flight, I should at least have a couple pilots at the controls.  So Ive been chopping up some spare figures. However, I think the ergonomics for the scale cockpit are a bit off.  Anyone have similar experiences with some words of advice?

undefined

KS5L8tV.jpg

Thanks,

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Been plugging away at the B-24!  I experimented with some color on a test wing and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.  Somewhere I read that Tamiya Flat Flesh was a decent match for the Sand color used in North Africa.  Well after using it I totally agree, at least to my eye.  It has a nice pink hue and I think will look great on the whole airframe.  I also kept looking at the tires and finally decided I couldn't live with the flat spot.  So I used some miliput an rounded them out.  I also started the process of creating the little windows next to the tunnel gun.  This is really uncharted territory for me!  I used some clear plastic from some packaging and after taping it to the fuselage, I traced out the shape to be cut out.  Next I will have to build little sills in the openings for them to sit on.  Thanks for looking!

Ccj4xgX.jpg

ngT5wX0.jpg

pBAdzhn.jpg