Finished! HPH Mig-15 Korean War

Padubon

4 hours ago, Padubon said:

Hello,

Progress have been slow due to some health issues I had, “But I got Better”.

I started gain a couple of days ago and boy this kit has a temper! 

"Bring out your dead, bring out your dead"

Looking good...It's not dead yet!

Nice work Paul. Yes it does, more than I could handle. Good to see you got the fuselage halves together. I'm looking forward to the rest of this build.

I may have missed it in your previous posts, but have you determine what scheme you'll be doing?

Regards,

Mike

21 hours ago, Dragon said:

Nice work Paul. Yes it does, more than I could handle. Good to see you got the fuselage halves together. I'm looking forward to the rest of this build.

I may have missed it in your previous posts, but have you determine what scheme you'll be doing?

Regards,

Mike

Thank you very much. 
I am planning on building the plane flown by Honcho pilot Maj. I.P.Galyshevsky in 1952.

rQ885iR.png

I7Y8D9r.jpg

20 minutes ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Nice paint scheme!

I like the way the kit was designed with the core holding the cockpit and representing the ducting to the engine.

Alain

That is one of my favorite features of the kit also. I just hope to have enough patience left to build it decently.

20 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Also the camouflage of the 546 was more of a natural metal colour mottled over.

tumblr_mm65z36vhh1rcoy9ro1_1280.jpg

Nice reference. 
I just noticed that the hph kit does not have the landing light at the intake splitter. 
I need to figure out what to do.

Edited by Padubon

I have been doing some research about the nose landing light and one for every ten pictures I have found, do not have the light in the splitter.

Assuming the it is accurate, I am going to build one of the options from the box, the one flown in Korea by a Honcho.

It really sucks because I seriously don’t want a  natural metal bird.

23 hours ago, Padubon said:

I have been doing some research about the nose landing light and one for every ten pictures I have found, do not have the light in the splitter.

Assuming the it is accurate, I am going to build one of the options from the box, the one flown in Korea by a Honcho.

It really sucks because I seriously don’t want a  natural metal bird.

All is not lost.

According to the Squadron/Signal Walk around No. 40, "Walk Around MiG-15 Fagot," the

"MiG-15bis Fagot-B (late) differed from early Fagot-Bs in having a revised antenna cable leading from the tail directly into the starboard fuselage.  The NS-23 KM cannon was replaced by the NR-23 with short fairings and blistered shell ejection ports.  The two-piece gun blast panel was replaced by a one-piece panel.  The landing light was relocated from the air-intake splitter into the starboard side wing, and one-piece speed brakes replaced the two-piece speed brakes of previous models." (p.11)

Assuming your model has all the above attributes, it's a late bis, and I found a couple of examples that are not natural metal.

One is MiG-15bis Fagot-B "Red 684", serial number 2684, of the 101st Reconnaisance Wing of the Hungarian AF, early 1970s, in an attractive sand, green and brown topsides over light blue bottom sides, found on p. 77.  Hungarian stars may be a challenge, though.

In the 4+ publications book "Mig-15, All Variants," p. 32, a MiG-15bis Fagot B, "Red 16", of the 913th IAP in Korea, Summer of 1953, is shown.  It has the Korean stars on white background, and a light brown (~FS 30257)/dark green (~FS 34128) camouflage pattern with a light blue (~FS 35448) underside.

I don't know for certain if these were late -Bs, but I can't see anyone else having definitive proof they weren't either.

28 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

All is not lost.

According to the Squadron/Signal Walk around No. 40, "Walk Around MiG-15 Fagot," the

"MiG-15bis Fagot-B (late) differed from early Fagot-Bs in having a revised antenna cable leading from the tail directly into the starboard fuselage.  The NS-23 KM cannon was replaced by the NR-23 with short fairings and blistered shell ejection ports.  The two-piece gun blast panel was replaced by a one-piece panel.  The landing light was relocated from the air-intake splitter into the starboard side wing, and one-piece speed brakes replaced the two-piece speed brakes of previous models." (p.11)

Assuming your model has all the above attributes, it's a late bis, and I found a couple of examples that are not natural metal.

One is MiG-15bis Fagot-B "Red 684", serial number 2684, of the 101st Reconnaisance Wing of the Hungarian AF, early 1970s, in an attractive sand, green and brown topsides over light blue bottom sides, found on p. 77.  Hungarian stars may be a challenge, though.

In the 4+ publications book "Mig-15, All Variants," p. 32, a MiG-15bis Fagot B, "Red 16", of the 913th IAP in Korea, Summer of 1953, is shown.  It has the Korean stars on white background, and a light brown (~FS 30257)/dark green (~FS 34128) camouflage pattern with a light blue (~FS 35448) underside.

I don't know for certain if these were late -Bs, but I can't see anyone else having definitive proof they weren't either.

Thank you. I’ll take all the help I can get. Do you have any pictures of Red-16?

8 hours ago, Padubon said:

Thank you. I’ll take all the help I can get. Do you have any pictures of Red-16?

Funny you should ask  . . .

I don't, but I do have this: https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/ussr/thom3215.htm which shows someone's model of the aircraft, plus the information that the decals for this aircraft are available: Aeromaster 32-006, which was reviewed here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1200 and shows you what the plane looked like.

46 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Funny you should ask  . . .

I don't, but I do have this: https://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/ussr/thom3215.htm which shows someone's model of the aircraft, plus the information that the decals for this aircraft are available: Aeromaster 32-006, which was reviewed here: https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=1200 and shows you what the plane looked like.

You are the man!