Finished! HPH Mig-15 Korean War

Padubon

Thanks to fellow modeler Mike “Dragon”, I am able to get my hands on this interesting kit. 
This is going to be my third HPH kit so I must love pain.

I am not sure still about the markings on this kit, but for sure it will be from the Korean War.

Enjoy.

eMNvvvU.jpg

6U17EU0.jpg

When I received the kit, it was just already started, mostly the cockpit.

I did not like the kit’s wheels so I ordered an AM set.

bEy2YFk.jpg

This is more or less how it looked when I got it.

AJvOOPj.jpg

7bpl7GF.jpg

AlkWWS9.jpg

gU3khgy.jpg

Last night I started working on the tail. Some fitting issues were corrected, other than that, it went well.

NjISb0J.jpg

YYeXS0i.jpg

uRt5s9E.jpg

9c5krQ0.jpg

WFR6PFV.jpg

I’m sure this kit is going to be a challenge but I’m quite exited about it.

Edited by Padubon

20 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Hi,

Just so you know, Mission Models makes MMP-098 (Grey Blue Cockpit) color which I think is a very close match to that used in Russian jets of that era.

I thought this might be helpful to you, since there are many opinions as to what constitutes a good shade of Grey.

Thank you very much. One thing for sure, about 13,000 were built in the USSR and about 4000 by other countries. I think there was a variety in cockpit colors for the -15. 
A very good match is the SAC Bomber Green for USSR built birds. 
I think some of the N. Korean migs were Chinese build but I really don’t have a clue.

13 hours ago, Padubon said:

Thank you very much. One thing for sure, about 13,000 were built in the USSR and about 4000 by other countries. I think there was a variety in cockpit colors for the -15. 
A very good match is the SAC Bomber Green for USSR built birds. 
I think some of the N. Korean migs were Chinese build but I really don’t have a clue.

Page 91 of the "Warbird History Mig-15" series states the Chinese "never built the MiG-15bis," moving directly the MiG-17, which was initially very poor quality.

Upon taking another look at my 4+ MiG-15 book, which includes color photos of various -bis models, I would say that while all the cockpits were grey,  some appeared bluer than others.  Of course, this could be due to color film issues, processing, lighting, and so on, so I would say anything in the darkish grey-blue line would work.  That SAC color you mention seems a little too blue to me, but that could be my monitor, of course.

At least the white stripe down the IP is white!

2 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Page 91 of the "Warbird History Mig-15" series states the Chinese "never built the MiG-15bis," moving directly the MiG-17, which was initially very poor quality.

Upon taking another look at my 4+ MiG-15 book, which includes color photos of various -bis models, I would say that while all the cockpits were grey,  some appeared bluer than others.  Of course, this could be due to color film issues, processing, lighting, and so on, so I would say anything in the darkish grey-blue line would work.  That SAC color you mention seems a little too blue to me, but that could be my monitor, of course.

At least the white stripe down the IP is white!

I usually a bit more prepared when I build a kit but with the mig, there are so much info that contradicts.
I’ll take your word for it. I am almost clueless regarding the cockpit colors for the mig. 
The Kit instructions call for Light Grey-Blue and the painted cockpit photo etch parts shows a gray almost like an FS Ghost Grey. 
I will take any additional info you may have. Thank you so much.

Paul

8 hours ago, mozart said:

Good to have a fellow masochistic onboard! It will be interesting to watch this one develop. :) 

I’m telling you. Is like when one is young and wants to go out with one of your sister’s cute but mean girl friends.

I just hope to finish it.

9 hours ago, Padubon said:

I usually a bit more prepared when I build a kit but with the mig, there are so much info that contradicts.
I’ll take your word for it. I am almost clueless regarding the cockpit colors for the mig. 
The Kit instructions call for Light Grey-Blue and the painted cockpit photo etch parts shows a gray almost like an FS Ghost Grey. 
I will take any additional info you may have. Thank you so much.

Paul

Paul, I would not take the painted photo etch as accurate.  I'm assuming it was produced by Eduard, and I've yet to find any of their Soviet cockpit colors anywhere near the real thing. 

As far as colors go,  very helpful person has painted spoons with Tamiya colors, and they are shown here:

https://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-paint-references

I would say XF-53 is very close, with perhaps a tiny touch of white.  XF-19 mixed 1:1 with XF-66 would also work and then I would add a little flat white until it became a light grey.  Remember, this is all interpretation, anyway, since all the photos were taken under different conditions.

They only thing I would not do is paint it jade green.  That's entirely incorrect.

39 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Paul, I would not take the painted photo etch as accurate.  I'm assuming it was produced by Eduard, and I've yet to find any of their Soviet cockpit colors anywhere near the real thing. 

As far as colors go,  very helpful person has painted spoons with Tamiya colors, and they are shown here:

https://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide-paint-references

I would say XF-53 is very close, with perhaps a tiny touch of white.  XF-19 mixed 1:1 with XF-66 would also work and then I would add a little flat white until it became a light grey.  Remember, this is all interpretation, anyway, since all the photos were taken under different conditions.

They only thing I would not do is paint it jade green.  That's entirely incorrect.

Ok, I’ll take a look and give it a shot.