THE FINAL HURDLE!... 1:20 scale scratch built B17G

fozzy

52 minutes ago, themongoose said:

Ohh i love these updates. You are a great scratch builder! Hope this goes on display somewhere in the future. 

Thank you!......yes I have been lucky enough to be able to donate it to The Miniature Engineering Craftsmanship Museum in California USA.......that's when I finish it!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

This will be my last post for this year as I am off to the UK in a couple of days time to see family and friends.

So another year is coming to an end (glad this one is nearly over!)...and this project still hasn't come to the end! I can't believe that I started this in 2011 with the nose section!....9 years later and I am still working on the tail end!......but realistically I think that I can get it all done next year!.....I do hope so as I really want to move on and build something else for a change!

Here is a photo of the all of the fuselage to date with my expert markings (not!!)....showing you that I am nearly at the tail end!

spray-and-markings-on-tail-unit-8-1.jpg

So this final post of this year is all about the elevator and rudder actuators......wasn't an easy task as I only had a few photos to go by kindly donated by Ol'scrapiron....but I got there in the end and this is how it all turned out.

To start with,  this is the elevator mechanism.The tube/bar was made from an old plastic sprue and the rest from cut pieces of plastic.....

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(2).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_(3).jpg

You can see a few cables attached that operate the mechanism.

The next few photos show it all painted.......

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(1).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(2).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(3).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(4).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(5).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(6).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(7).jpg

ELEVATOR_CONTROLS_PAINTED_(8).jpg

Now I turned my attention to the rudder actuator.....which was difficult as I only had shots of a very small part of it. Not to worry as when in place under the rudder you can hardly see it!....so I was lucky!!

Here it is ........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(2).jpg

The platform was then constructed out of plastic and the mechanism dry fitted in place.....

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(4).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_(6).jpg

Finally I painted the rudder actuator before placing on the frame..

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED__BEFORE_ASSEMBLY

and then painted the frame and placed the actuator in position........

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(1).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(2).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(3).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(5).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED_(6).jpg

RUDDER_ACTUATOR_PAINTED(4).jpg

Photographing this area isn't very fulfilling as you can't get the camera in the right position to take the shot ......but hopefully you can see the progress that I've made! 

So when I return from my break in UK I will bash on with the "Cheyenne" tail turret!

I do hope you all have a wonderful Xmas even under all the restrictions we all have this year due to Covid....and I wish you all a much better New Year than this last one!

All the best ...see you on here next February!

Cheers

Fozzy 

• 1 month later...

Hi every one

Well first and foremost I want to wish everyone a Happy belated New Year!.......although it is difficult in these times!

Due to this blasted Covid-19 I am in lock down in UK and won't be returning to Bulgaria and my workshop for ....who knows how long!:(.....at least I am with my family but miss battling on with my B17G!

I haven't any modelling equipment here......nothing at all... but am thinking that Amazon might help with that situation!......I'll spend a few quid,... get some sort of starter pack tools and get myself a little 1:72 kit to tie me over!.....haven't done that for years so I am looking forward to it!:)   

Meanwhile .....I haven't been idle ..... I decided to revamp my website and have got all my model photos in one place....so for those of you who want to take a look.........

https://mfostermodels.wixsite.com/martin-foster-models

So until I return to my work bench and my B17 ......I wish you all the best and please stay safe!

Cheers

Fozzy

• 3 months later...

Good afternoon guys!

I do hope that you are all keeping well and safe since the last time I posted.

I just can't believe its been 5 months since I last posted on here!......and 5 months away from my B17G!

I went to UK at the beginning of last December for Xmas and was due to return to Bulgaria mid February but of course Covid put an end to that plan! So as we were all in lock down I decided to wait in UK to have both my vaccinations and I am pleased to say that I have now had both! Whilst I was there I decided to get a few modelling supplies to tie me over and I made a couple of small models.

But now it's time to get on with this B17G..........so where were we?...oh yes!.... working on the tail section.

spray_and_markings_on_tail_unit_(9).jpg

I completed the detail in the tail section right up to the Cheyenne rear turret ...so I guess it's time to have a crack at that!

First things first.....I made the support post and platform for the MGs...as you can see in this photo....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET.jpg

A plate made from plastic card was then built which will eventually sit in position above the guns....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(1).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(2).jpg

I then painted the gun support.....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(3).jpg

I decided that the best way to get the detail done in this Cheyenne turret was to get the 50 cals completed and placed on the support and then build all the other detail around them.

So .... because I have still got to do another two MGs for the waist guns later , I decided to build those along with the two that will go in the tail.....I cut some plastic pieces into blocks that will be the basic MG minus the barrels!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(4).jpg

....and with the use of photos added the detail onto the blocks......

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(5).jpg

Plastic sprue came in handy now for the barrels.....luckily I had just the right size!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(6).jpg

Pieces were cut to length and the barrel shroud was simulated by drilling holes along the length of the barrel.....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(7).jpg

I placed flash suppressors, made from wire insulators onto the end of the barrels and then glued them onto the MGs ...and then painted them in Gun metal....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(8).jpg

At this point I decided to place some detail onto the front end of the turret....I had done it months before but the detail somehow fell off!.....this time super glue was used!!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(9).jpg

Adapter- gun mounts were made from plastic and wire and attached to the MGs.....fiddly as hell!!

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(10).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(11).jpg

That was then all painted.

The next 5 photos show the MGs all finished....

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(12).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(13).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(14).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(15).jpg

WORKING_ON_THE_CHEYENNE_TURRET_(16).jpg

In the next post I will install the MGs onto the support frame but first I have to think about it as I somehow have to get the ammunition link to the guns!

It certainly is great to be back at the bench and tackling this monster of a build!.....So far it's taken me nearly 10 years to get this far....time flies when you're having fun!!

Until the next post....take care and thanks for looking in!

Fozzy