With regard to the cockpit, there are not many differences between all the 23 and 27 marks. The main difference is the instrument panel. Each version had a slightly different one. I considered different strategies to recreate the IP. Initially, I re-dimensioned an image from the 1/48th Eduard IP. I glued it on a thin plasticard IP and used drills, files and a punch and die to open all the bezel holes.

1sduN6G.jpg

However, what looked to be a good idea did not result in something really acceptable as there were dimension issues. The Eduard part is tailored for the 1/48th kit. So enlarging it just resulted in enlarged discrepancies and could not be easily mated to the Aires IP structure. This was alas a dead end!

So, I used another technique. I cut the Aires IP into very small parts. All small parts were cleaned with a file. I cut a new very thin plasticard structure and played Tetris as I put all the elements in the correct location to make an early 27 IP. I also added one Airscale and four small Reheat photoetched components. Then I added all the knobs made with a punch & die and a grainer tool (to get very fine ones). Here’s the trick to do that more easily: DO NOT USE glue! Use Future/Klear. This allows easy positioning of the components and when dry leaves close to no residue! However, the result is obviously more fragile than an assembly secured with CA glue.

gm08eiu.jpg

This was successful!

So, to secure all the components, it is recommended to paint it with thin paint and a brush. This shows the current state of the part (painted with Vallejo turquoise). I assessed the possibility to use a permanent ink marker to paint the bezels in satin black on the left side but was not really convinced. I will go back to my fine brushes and paint for that part.

MlNfysC.jpg

I cut the Aires resin IP out of the resin coaming as the angle of that part is different on the MiG-27 because the nose goes down quickly. Such pictures show all defaults. Fortunately, the normal 1:1 parts look Ok!

And here we have a view of the Trumpeter drop tanks as both planes used the same tanks. By the way, the 23/27 were rarely if ever armed when they used drop tanks as the wing ones prevented moving the wings! So, they were typically used for long distance moves between airfields. Accordingly, besides such tanks, I will only add empty MBD2-67 MERs under the wing gloves and fuselage front pylons. They are exquisite parts and will also offer a side effect: no more need to detail the pylons lower side!

uZ8zKdg.jpg

I think I will stop here for this day... ;-)

Thanks guys. 

It looks there is one problem I will not solve as I hoped. I knew that riveting a resin kit is quite difficult and in some cases impossible. I got the confirmation yesterday evening. The yellow color of the resin does not help but the main problem is the density. It is impossible to get a regular line with a grainer tool whereas I did that regularly on plastic. So, the last option I will assess is the use of Rosie wheels. This will be less risky. Wait and see! 

Thanks Olivier. 

I tested the Rosie wheel twenty minutes ago. This is more or less working but is too subtle for such a plane. I think I will simply forget adding the screw and rivet lines. I will compensate when I will paint with a very faded scheme! Moreover, this will also help for the final assembly. Indeed, I was fearing the step where I would have to restore rivet/screw lines going through different resins, CA glue, epoxy glue, surfacer and possibly epoxy putty.... :BANGHEAD2: So, I won't have to be afraid of sanding! Too bad but I do not want to become nuts... :wacko:

NIIIICCCEEE!!!

Paint scheme suggestions... If I may?

Cuban Mig or a Cuban Mig. Or maybe a Cuban Mig or a Cuban Mig!!!

Lol

Alfonso, obviously, a Cuban! Lol

18 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Finally, this project became far more complicated than initially foreseen.  The ones who know me will not be surprised seeing another Frankenstein creature developed in my laboratory ;-)

The question is ... are you having fun yet   ?