F-104G DC+109 (JaboG 33 Büchel)

Dutch Man

You're welcome. I too preferred a rescribed Hasegawa to the entrenched Italeri version.

I really couldn't decide between a camouflaged Marineflieger one with Kormorans and day-glo tanks and the MB seat, or a Belgian silver plate one

with the C-2 seat as the most colourful looking of the NATO air forces. In the end I decided both were needed. Although that's as far as I've got so I'm

interested to see how you're getting on. Very well it seems.

Btw, I contacted Tony Gaunt at Martin-Baker some years ago to enquire if the different looking seats had different sub-model numbers.

But he said no, they're all Type GQ-7 although any spares required will be as specified by serial number in the manual.

ZgKvJBx.png

Decal sheet I will be using for the Hasegawa kit. 

Excellent material. I have some additional stencils on order and reference from Daco.

This week another F-104G will land on my doorstep, Italeri kit this time. Good price for the kit, so...

Next I will update with some progress pictures and livery I have in mind.

Robert Jan 

17 hours ago, Astro32 said:

Just received the Aires gear bay set. Was the Hasegawa landing gear used? At first glance it looks like they'll work fine. And beautiful work so far!

Yes I used the gears from the kit. To make it fit I had to alter the height of the shock absorbers. 

I'm happy with the results so far.

Robert Jan 

Edited by Dutch Man

Hi. Need some advise on the wing color. Is there a specific white to use for the upper wing surface?

kBKcZdb.png

About the seats I am all confused now. I will have to wait for my reference book from Daco I guess.

This will be the livery for the Hasegawa. No 'Norm 62' yet. Like the looks of it.

Robert Jan

I like the NMF scheme Robert. In general, there appears to be no specific white quoted for the wing upper surfaces, but AFAIK, the lower surfaces of all NMF Starfighters was FS16473 (ADC Grey - same as the nose radome), although Hataka paints quote FS16515 (Voodoo grey) for this colour for some reason?

Regards

Derek

Also was thinking about the Hataka Voodoo color. I searched for a lot grey schemes using a conversion for paints. 

Ordered some shades and will make a test sheet to match the sides. How it looks when mixed, etc.

Robert Jan

There is a moment when everybody thinks, how did I get here, why? When it is so steaming hot, all your little jobs need to be done before the sun reaches the walls and heats your house up. On the other hand, it keeps me safe and sound from Covid-19. Hey hey.

So was thinking to do some on Saturday, worked out on Sunday...

AmoqlWb.jpg

Nose job, wings all scribed and white base on the top. 

Dry fit of wind shield and instruments underneath. That kept me busy about 2 hours. Now it fits.

StpSS8N.jpgMi5h6O4.jpg

Still dry fit. Needs some cleaning and a little detail. But it does fit now (color green will change to red).

Did sone testing with the wings. Underside has some base silver shades too. White is simply base from Tamiya. 

All going very slow now.

Until next time,

Robert Jan

For whites I like to use auto shop White plastic primer, for use on cars.

It is a matt finish out of the can, but can be wet sanded to the smoothness of porcelain and even polished to a high gloss which looks far better to my eyes than using actual gloss paint.

You know you're getting too geeked out on your research when you start to recognise rivet patterns on your plane.

Thanks for posting the video.

It reminded me that we could really use a big scale Sea Hawk both as an early straight wing jet and to plug the gap between the Sea Fury and the Hunter.

The only people who might have any interest would likely be Special Hobby or Trumpeter, although we could only be reasonably confident in SH doing it justice.