1/32 The Hun Hunter

Collin

Next project is going to be the newer Revell 1/32 early P-51D dressed up as The Hun Hunter. 

I’ve seen conflicting photos on the net. Did she have lower wing invasion stripes w/two rows of kill markings which were later removed ( when a third row of kill markings were added)?  

Anyone know if she once had overwing invasion stripes that were painted over?  

Thanks for anyones info!!

Cheers

Collin

6 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

What squadon/group?  The only Hun Hunter I'm familiar with is the P-47D of the 57th FG.

354th FS, 355th FG, Steeple Morden.  The D, 44-13305, was actually the second "Hun Hunter ~ Texas" to give it its full name: the first as a B, 42-106448.

There is a photo of the B on the Little Friends site; this a/c is wearing full stripes and captioned as "Flown on D-Day".  So to try and answer the OP I suspect the D may not have worn full stripes, unless it was serving in the group on D-Day under another identity.  The top stripes were ordered removed July 1944.  So it all depends on when 44-13305 became "Hun Hunter ~ Texas".

http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/355th-fighter-group/

(search the Register and Gallery on "Hun Hunter" for more info and some pics of the B.)

wr-z.jpg

Sorry I can't be more specific, but hope this is helpful.

Edited by MikeC

Went over to WWII Aircraft forum and found some interesting details.  Seems that Brown's P-51D was a hand me down from the commander who was transferring.  So the photo with the stripes on the bottom is actually WR-A before it was turned into WR-Z and had the stripes removed.  Seems the upper OD color on WR-Z would have the traditional old and new paint where the stripes were either covered up or removed and repainted.   No lower stripes at all.  Interesting that "The Hun Hunter~Texas" may have never been painted on the aircraft.  Photo evidence show the black arrow empty a week before the plane and pilot went down.  

Interesting things you find out researching a project.

Cheers

Collin

I built this  Mustang a few years ago using the REVELL new tool kit. I purchased the Eagle Cals decal set number 140. The illustrations for “Hun Hunter/Texas shows white ID bands on the upper wings and black ID bands on the lower wing. White spinner and nose band, invasion stripes in the fuselage. 

Regards,

Jim