Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

One thing that annoys me somewhat about the kit configuration, especially as it pertains to tool stowage and cables, is that for the most part, very few options are given to easily depict the tool clamps and such (without tools), as almost every photo I have, shows all of the tools missing anyway, or stored elsewhere by the crews.

I'll probably end up redoing several of the more major hull weld seams too, more similar to your approach, Nils, as I like the look of yours much better than mine, which I have  been unhappy about for some time now. One thing I had noticed in your earlier photos, is what appears to be a very rough cast looking texture on the upper hull front plate ends. While that part was indeed cast, the ends normally had a much smoother overall appearance, just so you know.

But than you are fine with the kit, as it represents the early version of Jagdtigers with Henschel suspension system.

Thus, the Heavy Tankhunter Battalion 653 is the right unit for your model.
They were equipped prior to Heavy Tankhunter Battalion 512.

And last but not least one early survived in US museum.

http://www.armorfortheages.com/MilitaryVehicles/JagdTiger/JagdTiger.html

Regards,

Nils

52 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

One thing that annoys me somewhat about the kit configuration, especially as it pertains to tool stowage and cables, is that for the most part, very few options are given to easily depict the tool clamps and such (without tools), as almost every photo I have, shows all of the tools missing anyway, or stored elsewhere by the crews.

I bought PE-sets from Aber-Models. Also useful for other 1:16 scale tank builds. Just take care to get right (early/late version of clamps). 
Also found according offers on Shapeways (website for 3d-Prints) respectively from T-Rex-Studio.

35 minutes ago, N.H.71 said:

I bought PE-sets from Aber-Models. Also useful for other 1:16 scale tank builds. Just take care to get right (early/late version of clamps). 
Also found according offers on Shapeways (website for 3d-Prints) respectively from T-Rex-Studio.

I was unaware of any Aber 1:16 stuff, so I'll definitely need to look into that. Heck, just the acrylic cover for this beast and base, is going to run me two or three hundred bucks, so why not spend a little more to do 'er up right. I like some of the Shapeways stuff that I've seen, and may grab some.

57 minutes ago, N.H.71 said:

But than you are fine with the kit, as it represents the early version of Jagdtigers with Henschel suspension system.

Thus, the Heavy Tankhunter Battalion 653 is the right unit for your model.
They were equipped prior to Heavy Tankhunter Battalion 512.

And last but not least one early survived in US museum.

http://www.armorfortheages.com/MilitaryVehicles/JagdTiger/JagdTiger.html

Regards,

Nils

I'd love to grab the Fedorowicz book on the 653rd, but it's just too bloody expensive. I do have the Stackpole book though, along with many others.

44 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'll probably end up redoing several of the more major hull weld seams too, more similar to your approach, Nils, as I like the look of yours much better than mine, which I have  been unhappy about for some time now. One thing I had noticed in your earlier photos, is what appears to be a very rough cast looking texture on the upper hull front plate ends. While that part was indeed cast, the ends normally had a much smoother overall appearance, just so you know.

Yeah the weld seams that’s one of those details…

I think the walkaround pics ( if not already known) can help you with it. 

This is how I did that - quick and dirty:

I scraped some additional seam lines/grooves. Here only the horizontal running seams. They don’t need to be 100% straight but should respect direction and distance to each other. 
6604-DF66-D130-41-CD-A9-BB-C48890918366.

Using a power tool and sanding/milling tool shaped like in picture below I carefully reworked each seam line without (!!) removing the sanded/milled material. Also take care of direction of rotation. I tried to place the sanded material towards the more raised Armor plate (vertical seams) whereas I tried to equally place the sanded material for the horizontal seams. (Hope my explanation is comprehensible).
C40-C1-C3-E-9485-4202-A662-41-AA440-B30-

Next and last step is to use „hot“ thinner (Tamiya extra thin glue works too, but is for the wealthy modeller only -hahaha- no, just too expensive) applied carefully with a brush (Size 1-2). The material will soak the thinner and turn into the „weld seams“ I presented in pictures before. Rework (more / especially placed sanded material or several layers of thinner) is no problem.

Just a little patience and practice…

Just try and adopt according your needs.
52-FEA2-A0-EEFC-4-D46-9-B8-E-14-BF6869-C

This area you mean, Kevin?
CD5313-E7-0-EA2-49-B4-B588-832-BDE1103-C

Regrds,

Nils

33 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I was unaware of any Aber 1:16 stuff, so I'll definitely need to look into that. Heck, just the acrylic cover for this beast and base, is going to run me two or three hundred bucks, so why not spend a little more to do 'er up right. I like some of the Shapeways stuff that I've seen, and may grab some.

Oh than you should look on their website.
You can assemble their clamps workable - but that’s a fiddly nerv consuming job.

As general accessories for German 1:16 scale AFV‘s I can recommend their MG34 brass barrels (both versions) and the 2 meter antenna.

Cheers,

Nils

Edited by N.H.71
Tipo

20 minutes ago, N.H.71 said:

This area you mean, Kevin?

CD5313-E7-0-EA2-49-B4-B588-832-BDE1103-C

Regrds,

Nils

No, the edges (port and starboard) of that cast piece. All the photos I've seen, show a considerably smoother surface, though not without flaws. As to your weld technique, I like that a lot. I may do that, or just work some epoxy putty to my liking, perhaps even a combination of both methods.

I certainly do need to figure out a stupid proof way of simulating weld seams of different types, as I'll need to do a lot of that sort of thing to my 1:6 scale Flak 38, once I resume work on that monster.

53 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I'd love to grab the Fedorowicz book on the 653rd, but it's just too bloody expensive. I do have the Stackpole book though, along with many others.

I‘ve got none of those - just looked the first you mentioned - used for 140 € :o - wow - Must be excellent. 

I‘m more interested to the particular vehicle „X7“ of Abt. 512. Found some interesting things in the web (excerpts of unit history s. Pz.Jg. Abt. 512 and combat report for Obernetphen area where X7 was captured, etc.).

45 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

No, the edges (port and starboard) of that cast piece. All the photos I've seen, show a considerably smoother surface, though not without flaws. As to your weld technique, I like that a lot. I may do that, or just work some epoxy putty to my liking, perhaps even a combination of both methods.

I‘ll have a look on that thanks for the hint, Kevin

20 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I certainly do need to figure out a stupid proof way of simulating weld seams of different types, as I'll need to do a lot of that sort of thing to my 1:6 scale Flak 38, once I resume work on that monster.

Different scale - different challenges. But techniques and procedures remain   identical - in principle.

It‘s about adding something that’s missing or re-work something that‘s not accurate or false. 
There are also 3d decals simulating weld seams - but in 1/6 scale - :hmmm:

10 minutes ago, N.H.71 said:

I‘ve got none of those - just looked the first you mentioned - used for 140 € :o - wow - Must be excellent. 

I‘m more interested to the particular vehicle „X7“ of Abt. 512. Found some interesting things in the web (excerpts of unit history s. Pz.Jg. Abt. 512 and combat report for Obernetphen area where X7 was captured, etc.).

The Fedorowicz books have always been expensive, but the quality is usually quite excellent.