Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

10 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Did Tamiya do a 1:16 JagdTiger? I have their original release KT kit, which was the production turret, but don’t remember a JagdTiger, or a Porsche turret version, which Trumpy did do in 1/16, along with the production turret.

Hey Ray, was asking of my old Tamiya 1/16 KT Porsche turret "static" kit which I plan to do exact copy as diorama of the 503rd winter white "Annaliese" from the Dragon 1/35 Smart kit release box art - sitting on dirt road in Hungary awaiting final assault. Looking into purchase of lower hull, road wheels, arms, etc. from Trumpeter to replace the Tamiya stamped metal wheels, and hull - all the simplistic RC stuff. Just want to know if worth it to get all that...

Do you have a photo of the scheme you're referring to? I'm certainly no KT SME (how I despise that term), but the mix of that turret with the Henschel running gear, seems an odd combination, not that I haven't seen some other real oddities regarding German armor, as I most certainly have. Regarding fit, I have no idea, but virtually every detail I've yet seen on the Trumpeter kit, is as close to 100% correct as Ive ever seen on any kit. The outer set of fasteners even has the correct turned up tabs at the end of the two bolt locking tabs. The inner set of connectors is also correct, having an alternating nut/bolt/nut configuration. To my thinking, it really doesn't get much better than this.

kqDDrm.jpg

25 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

The more I think about it, yes, Tamiya did do a Porsche (Krupp) turreted version of the King, though it used the Henschel running gear, a quite odd combination, I think. The reason I recall this, is that I purchased that kit to do my own Jagdtiger conversion, which I got a real good start on, but never finished. I finally threw it out about a year or so ago.

Yeah Kev, it is quite dated with the RC parts but figured dedicated to a base in snow, Zimmerit, some figures and such would hide the shortfalls.

As mentioned, I do also have this JagdTiger kit so very interested if there are some parts in this kit that are only for KT which I could use as well?!

This to me is an outstanding build which is also a huge (like the kit) help in several ways. Anxiously await the finals on it!

The scheme is featured on the Dragon smart kit box cover art including the scene with it in Hungary, just google the Dragon kit and you can see.

And yes, it is a Porsche turret KT with production gear as seen in period photos. Hence my inquiry to improve Tamiya's kit which you have now

answered my question and will get the parts - Thanks!

Edited by phasephantomphixer

OK, I understand now. While some parts from the Trumpeter Jagdtiger kit (or more likely the KT kit), might be a drop fit to the Tamiya kit, there's certainly no guarantee of that. However, given the excellent detailing in the Trumpeter kit, I'd be tempted to give it a go, were I you, especially regarding the road wheels, drive sprockets and idler wheels, possibly even the tracks themselves. I do recall that the lower, central hull of my Tamiya KT was metal of some sort, and as a consequence, way too thin for scale, but that could easily be beefed up with some thick sheet plastic, which is exactly what I was doing with my own Jagdtiger conversion, once that section was stretched, of course.

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

OK, I understand now. While some parts from the Trumpeter Jagdtiger kit (or more likely the KT kit), might be a drop fit to the Tamiya kit, there's certainly no guarantee of that. However, given the excellent detailing in the Trumpeter kit, I'd be tempted to give it a go, were I you, especially regarding the road wheels, drive sprockets and idler wheels, possibly even the tracks themselves. I do recall that the lower, central hull of my Tamiya KT was metal of some sort, and as a consequence, way too thin for scale, but that could easily be beefed up with some thick sheet plastic, which is exactly what I was doing with my own Jagdtiger conversion, once that section was stretched, of course.

Sure, modification to Tamiya expected, but agree with you it will be worth it. I can cast this and that where need be as well.

Sorry for the sideslip of your thread, but it was a big help! :lol:

33 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Wow, don’t remember those Tamiya kits at all!

Every so often Tamiya releases one of their 1/16 RC tank kits without all the R/C stuff included. 

They released such a kit of the M1 Abrams not that long ago.  

They are expensive and lacking in detail, but really nice kits with super high quality components.

7 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Every so often Tamiya releases one of their 1/16 RC tank kits without all the R/C stuff included. 

They released such a kit of the M1 Abrams not that long ago.  

They are expensive and lacking in detail, but really nice kits with super high quality components.

One of my Kings, the one with the Krupp turret, was so configured, cheap too. My other kit was fully configured, and I sold it for a small fortune.

Yup, my Tiger I is w/o rc stuff. The money I saved went to a full meal deal Aber set: barrel, PE, cleaning rods, etc.

I am just surprised I missed those other kits as my fingers were on the pulse of WWII AFV’s at that time which was before I got back into LSP’s. Of course, it was more recently I started getting into the big stuff, so maybe that is why I missed it.

On 9/9/2020 at 12:10 AM, LSP_K2 said:

Not a bad fit. Not perfect, but not bad at all. I strongly suspect that I perhaps didn’t spend quite enough time making sure that everything was aligned exactly as per the instructions, and yet it does seem to me like I really did. Who knows.

t0VNpB.jpg

In this photo, this unfinished, unpainted tank destroyer already impresses. Keep it up. Jose

• 4 weeks later...