Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

4 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

That would probably be my approach, though I'd slant the pieces that would be the lands so that when rolling the tube lengthwise, It would automatically provide the needed twist. I may well give it a whirl, as the only AM barrel I've yet seen looks exactly as you've described, like screw threads, and that is quite unacceptable.

If your method works well, let me know and I'll try it (when the time comes)

I couldn't resist, so I started cobbling together the beginnings of the rifling experiment. None too neat (or accurate), but looks like it may have real promise. Bore measures almost exactly 5/16" diameter, so a 31/32" wide piece was made up to fit the circumference. Not altogether coincidentally, 5/16" is almost dead bang on 128mm in 1:16 scale.

OJhMQq.jpg

Back to the topic at hand:  Recreating rifling.  I know nothing at all about tanks other than they look like they'd be a bit dodgy around the boat.   Having said that, from what I can see in the photos, the rifling looks pretty fine.  If your current attempt crumps or looks out of scale, you might consider scribing multiple grooves in an appropriately thin piece of sheet goods with a straight edge and the back of a blade (for width) or maybe a scribing tool, rather than trying to glue tiny strips to some sheet stock.  Seems to me this approach would give better scale effect in the end and the flexibility needed to make it better fit the barrel.  Also wondered if you'd need to ream the barrel a bit to make room for the new material?

21 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Back to the topic at hand:  Recreating rifling.  I know nothing at all about tanks other than they look like they'd be a bit dodgy around the boat.   Having said that, from what I can see in the photos, the rifling looks pretty fine.  If your current attempt crumps or looks out of scale, you might consider scribing multiple grooves in an appropriately thin piece of sheet goods with a straight edge and the back of a blade (for width) or maybe a scribing tool, rather than trying to glue tiny strips to some sheet stock.  Seems to me this approach would give better scale effect in the end and the flexibility needed to make it better fit the barrel.  Also wondered if you'd need to ream the barrel a bit to make room for the new material?

Good points all. While I'm using as thin as I have (.010), yes, that'll probably be a bit "out of scale", but for me would still be better than a smooth bore, and would at least represent, though not duplicate, the rifling. If you go back a few pages, the Trumpeter kit actually depicted rifling, but at about a 45° twist, which is totally bogus.

I also considered scribing a sheet, but temporarily ruled that out. Since this, at this point, is all experimental, I still have time to try other options. By far the best solution, would have been to just include a small patch of P.E. that could be rolled and inserted, but they overlooked that option, one of the very few shortcomings with this kit, as this was definitely an "A team" effort.

On many (though certainly not all) photographs, the tailpipe flange seems to be just a wee bit larger in diameter than the corresponding muffler flange. Trumpeter actually caught this, but then put the connection points to the sprue, right smack in the middle of them. For me, this created a near impossible correction to undertake, so I just sanded it all off, then replaced them with .010 x .030 strip. Now, after just a teeny bit more cleanup, mufflers are finally ready for installation.

mF4Swj.jpg

Surfing through one of my Panzerwrecks volumes, I stumbled upon this interesting photo of 323. Dripping paint from the 323, dulled out national cross, and spare track links hung in several odd configurations. This gives me some ideas for my own kit.

zaNpHe.jpg