Trumpeter 1:16 Jagdtiger

LSP_K2

The "other" sprocket is now all cleaned up and awaiting some cast texture. All sprockets have a particularly nasty area in the vicinity of the sprue attachment points, but by carefully positioning the sprockets on the vehicle, they'll be fortunately hidden by track sections.

i3soMF.jpg

Working on the rear of the hull, a few things pop out. One, the weld seams of the side plates do not seem to fit flush, no matter what I do, so some surfacer will be needed here it looks like.

YYoPu6.jpg

Two, there's a hole near the low-viz marker lamp that would initially seem to have no purpose, but I suspect is where the wiring to the lamp passes through the rear hull. The few photos that I have of this, show a tapered hole rather than a straight sided one, so I'll plug this and redo.

ziKnX7.jpg

Don't go crazy on 'casting texture'. Castings may not have a smooth, shiny finish - even so they are not usually dog-rough

I spend a lot of my life painting old 1:1 scale castings

Richard

27 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Don't go crazy on 'casting texture'. Castings may not have a smooth, shiny finish - even so they are not usually dog-rough

I spend a lot of my life painting old 1:1 scale castings

Richard

Nope, I don't intend to. As much as anything, I'm going by the photos in the magnificent Ryton volume on the Jagdtiger and King as a general guide.

Good stuff. I thought I'd mention it before you got carried away

As an apprentice I remember one of our customer's referring to our aircraft fuel system castings as 'looking like they came off a Russian tractor'. Most hurtful...

Richard

9 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Good stuff. I thought I'd mention it before you got carried away

As an apprentice I remember one of our customer's referring to our aircraft fuel system castings as 'looking like they came off a Russian tractor'. Most hurtful...

Richard

Oh yea. I remember when I was working on my big T-34 how many photos of the turret looked extraordinarily rough. I'll be trying to simulate as close as possible (within reason), what actual photos of the Jagdtiger components look like. The tracks, for instance, though certainly cast, appear to really be quite smooth, especially in the road wheel areas. Reducing this appearance by 1:16 its original texture, should require very little from me, save for some decent painting/weathering.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:01 AM, LSP_K2 said:

Though I haven't counted, this is roughly half of the guide hornless track sections needed, all cleaned up and waiting for primer.

6U0XWn.jpg

1000 piece jig saw puzzles with only sky color are nothing compared to assembly of tank track sections, especially on this kit.  Tracks are the only reason I have not started any of my tank kits.

1 minute ago, Rick Griewski said:

I am on to you. The second one has tracks as you said. LOL

NOW on with the thead!

Be careful on that Douglas Self website, you could be lost for hours. Under 'Combat Cutlery' is a set of double barrelled knifes and forks

I hadn't realised I wanted a set until just now...

Richard